Jump to content
Biller Longfall

Anti-aliasing issues with 1060 6GB

Recommended Posts

I've been having a issue with the anti-aliasing, with every viewer I have tried. No matter which setting I use in the AA, from 2x to 16x, in the distance, I notice that it's very jagged around the edges of objects which isn't noticeable when you walk/zoom right up on a object but then you notice another object far off in the distance with the jagged edges... that's when I have ALM on (tried with and without shadows)

When I turn ALM off, the AA is still bad with the distance issue. My draw distance is always at 256 and I'm using the GTX 1060 6GB graphics card.

You have to be zoomed in right on a object... meaning it's even noticeable on my avatar unless I zoom too far in.

The only thing that I've found that helps, is downscaling (DSR) but things seem blurry and performance drops. I've seen videos of people using 1050ti cards that look more smooth. On my old AMD R9 280, it handled the AA situation better (not perfectly, which is why I went to the 1060, since everyone I asked said Nvidia works better with SL)... which is a bummer to find the 1060 has worse AA for me.

All options in the Nvidia Control Panel are set to application controlled, so there is NO overriding. And again, this happens with every viewer I have tried, third party included.

I've taken two photos that show the issues I've been seeing... one snapshot shows the bad aliasing on a object that's far (not too far, showing that the issue is a eyesore for me) and the other snapshot shows it's fine when my camera is RIGHT on it. So hopefully there is a solution and I appreciate the help.

EDIT: And I also notice shimmering along the jagged lines when moving.

Distance-AAissue.jpg

Upclose-NoAAissue.jpg

Edited by Biller Longfall

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Whirly Fizzle posted info about an issue related to ALM and anti-aliasing - just a week or two ago.  I don't remember which post, but you could search the forms for those terms.  Basically, if you turn ALM on, you anti-aliasing will be messed up until you turn it off and then relog -- i.e. you must log in with it off.

Found it - read this:

 

Edited by LittleMe Jewell

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

@Whirly Fizzle posted info about an issue related to ALM and anti-aliasing - just a week or two ago.  I don't remember which post, but you could search the forms for those terms.  Basically, if you turn ALM on, you anti-aliasing will be messed up until you turn it off and then relog -- i.e. you must log in with it off.

Found it - read this:

 

I looked up some things about it... relogs doesn't seem to work at all and the issue happens with or without ALM on. I've tried logging on with all sorts of settings and nothing has seemed to work so far. Right now, I logged in with ALM off and the issue is still there... bad aliasing for objects in the distance, unless I zoom in right on them.

Edited by Biller Longfall

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Two things occur to me, and both seem to have been covered, sort of, already.

With ALM enabled, the render engine doesn't take any damn notice of the manual AA settings. It uses it's own ALM AA settings. 

As for the nvidia control panel, best to double check that it really is letting the application control AA, create a specific app profile for your viewers.

Hmm, DD 256, do you set graphics with the single slider to ultra as a general rule? Check and see if you have depth of field enabled or ansiotropic filtering, check for conflicts.


 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Klytyna said:

Two things occur to me, and both seem to have been covered, sort of, already.

With ALM enabled, the render engine doesn't take any damn notice of the manual AA settings. It uses it's own ALM AA settings. 

As for the nvidia control panel, best to double check that it really is letting the application control AA, create a specific app profile for your viewers.

Hmm, DD 256, do you set graphics with the single slider to ultra as a general rule? Check and see if you have depth of field enabled or ansiotropic filtering, check for conflicts.


 

With ALM on or off, it doesn't matter with the issue... I still have the issue of objects in the distance having jagged lines, unless I zoom in right on them. I've relogged with ALM on and I've relogged with ALM off, it's the same thing.

And yes, under the app profile, everything is set to application controlled AA.

I've set the slider and relogged, I've messed with each setting and relogged, etc. I always have DoF off, minus the one time I ticked it on before a relog to see if it would help anything, it didn't seem to help.

Edited by Biller Longfall

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Biller Longfall said:

it didn't seem to help.

Wouldn't expect it to, it seemed a possible culprit due to you mentioning that the problem occurred at distance, not when zoomed in. ALM On and DoF off, is the way to go, but if the nvidia controls are not the problem, hmmm...

Time to call Super-Whirly...
 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I wanted to wait a bit before answering because I am not sure about my thoughts on this problem. @Whirly Fizzle's post explains perfectly the difference between anti-aliasing when ALM is on and anti-aliasing when it's off, but you say that you have this problem with ALM enabled and disabled and that it hasn't improved, so it could be another thing.

In the case of your pictures, the ones with the fences, let me guess what it could be happening: could it be that they are made with textures with an alpha channel and that you have "antialias transparency" in you Nvidia control panel turned off? If that's the case you could try setting it to multisampling or supersampling and see whether there is any difference. When ALM is off, the viewer uses MSAA, and this mode cannot anti-alias the lines in a texture with transparency, although FXAA (the mode used when ALM is on) can.

Another thing I wanted to point out is that I'm not sure we can use the first and second pictures as a comparison because the lines in each of them don't have the same rotation, so the difference in jagginess could be because of this, although I am not sure.

Edited by hombra

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/26/2017 at 7:08 PM, hombra said:

I wanted to wait a bit before answering because I am not sure about my thoughts on this problem. @Whirly Fizzle's post explains perfectly the difference between anti-aliasing when ALM is on and anti-aliasing when it's off, but you say that you have this problem with ALM enabled and disabled and that it hasn't improved, so it could be another thing.

In the case of your pictures, the ones with the fences, let me guess what it could be happening: could it be that they are made with textures with an alpha channel and that you have "antialias transparency" in you Nvidia control panel turned off? If that's the case you could try setting it to multisampling or supersampling and see whether there is any difference. When ALM is off, the viewer uses MSAA, and this mode cannot anti-alias the lines in a texture with transparency, although FXAA (the mode used when ALM is on) can.

Another thing I wanted to point out is that I'm not sure we can use the first and second pictures as a comparison because the lines in each of them don't have the same rotation, so the difference in jagginess could be because of this, although I am not sure.

I did try the transparency thing in the control panel and it helped the shimmering a little, but the problem still exists for anything in the mid-far distance. For some reason, no matter if it's ALM or non-ALM, the anti-aliasing is really bad for objects in the distance, along with SOME shimmering. So, the AA will work for objects really close but objects in mid to far distance, the AA is really bad... I could tolerate it if it was in the far far distance, but it's close enough to where it's noticeable and looks low quality, more so than the old AMD card I had, which is surprising to me.

I've tried relogging with both modes, I've tried setting control panel AA and tried leaving it to the viewer... tried Clamp instead of Allow, tried Allow, etc. I've installed new drivers and reinstalled them, along with reinstalling several viewers. I've tried to Google it and while I've found people having these issues, I can never find any fixes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...