wrong owner for item in my inventory

Bongo Fhang

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2499 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

I was trying to rez a tree I own (from my inventory) and I received an error saying that the owner of the land would not allow it.  I am the owner of the land.  When I looked at the object's properties it says that the owner is Alexandria Linden, and that it was created by Eric Linden.  Neither of these is correct.  What is going on?

5 answers to this question

1 hour ago, Bongo Fhang said:

I was trying to rez a tree I own (from my inventory) and I received an error saying that the owner of the land would not allow it.  I am the owner of the land.  When I looked at the object's properties it says that the owner is Alexandria Linden, and that it was created by Eric Linden.  Neither of these is correct.  What is going on?

Do you own the land directly or do you have a group that owns the land?  If a group, do you have that group active when trying to rez.

And it could always be the typical flakiness after the Tuesday grid rolling restarts.

8 hours ago, Bongo Fhang said:

When I looked at the object's properties it says that the owner is Alexandria Linden, and that it was created by Eric Linden.  Neither of these is correct.  What is going on?

I think there are two completely unrelated bugs here.

There is a bug in the last two versions of the official SL viewer that causes it to display wrong owner and creator names for objects. Sometimes the owner and/or creator is TestStringPleaseIgnore, sometimes it's the data from the previous object you checked, sometimes some random object in the vicinity. It's jsut a nuisance, if you check the data again, you'll probably get the correct data - or some other random nonsense.

This has nothing to do with being able to rez the item though, that's probably an older and far more serious bug. Did you try to rez on a mesh or sculpt surface? There are still some meshes with faulty physics in Second Life and you can't rez on top of those. If you do, you get that rather misleading error message. The same applies to sculpts under certain circumstances.

In case you wonder, as Whirly said, Alexandria Linden is not an actual person, it's just a placeholder account used as the "owner" of Libray items. Eric Linden did exist - he was the original cotnent creator for Linden Lab and made jsut about all the good content from the early SL years - but he quit in 2005.

• Like 3

The mistake was mine.  I apologize.  The trees that had Alexandria Linden as owner were not part of the package I purchased.  I discovered that these objects have an 'add' option.  If I click on that the trees are copied into my objects folder with me as the owner, after which I can rez them without difficulty.  I guess these objects were a contribution of sorts from the Lindens.

Sorry for any confusion and thanks for your efforts to help!

Bongo Fhang

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2499 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.