Uncontrollable Walking

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2470 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hi All,

I am wondering if any one else has had this problem lately. My partners avi from time to time starts walking and she cant stop it other than to relog. It happens at random places even when we are at home when her fps is high (80+) and the sim seems to be running fine based on the statistics and her ping time isn't that high really when this happens. 

Just curious if anyone had this issue and found a off reason for it. 

Thank you in advance.

Ziggy :x

• Like 1

Do you both see her walking or just one of you?  When it happens, if she turns off her AO does it stop?  I had one of my walk annimations go bonkers last week and until I tracked it down, I kept finding myself randomly going into odd annimation mode.  It continued until I got that particular annimation out of the AO.

We both see her walking, we did think it was a animation in her AO also but we had her try another AO for a few days and it did same thing. So it seems its a random connection issue but it just started happening last few months. Grrrrr, this is so hard to diagnose :(

Thank you all for your replies. :SwingingFriends:

Having a good Internet connection does NOT guarantee you have a good connection to the SL servers. You will have to test the specific connection. For the how to see http://blog.nalates.net/2011/10/26/troubleshoot-your-sl-connection/

Open Viewer Statistics (Ctrl-Shift-1) and look for packet loss.

When you say the avatar keeps walking... do you mean it is moving across the terrain? Or the legs move whether it is moving across the terrain or not?

In the first case, it is serious connection lag to the SL servers. You should see the stats showing long ping times and often high packet loss. Use the troubleshooting info to track down the problem.

In the second case, you likely are seeing intermittent packet loss. Things like avatar movement, scripted objects moving, and other updates from the SL servers as to what is happening in the simulated world are getting lost. Updates travel via the UDP protocol, which has no error checking or packet resend. How easy this is to detect depends on how much data loss is occurring. Press Ctrl-Shift-Alt-U to turn on the updates display. See http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/About_the_Update_Indicators for an explanation of the color codes. It takes some experience to notice small issues in the update stream but, you should be able to see the type of loss you are talking about.

The problem can be in the downstream, coming to you, or in the upstream, going to the servers. It is very difficult to detect problems in the upstream. I don't have any tips for doing that. Most testing is done on incoming data.

Either way, the problem is almost certainly in the connection. 

That a relog clears the problem, may just be that it resync's the connection. Often a teleport to a new region will do the same. Or using the viewer's Stop Animating Me will resync things. (Me->Movement->Stop...)

You can test with other viewers to eliminate any possibility of a viewer problem, which I think is unlikely. Remember. Network connections change by the millisecond. So, a change to a different viewer may take up the time needed for the network problem to clear.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2470 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.