Ever squatted inworld?

bebejee

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2495 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

It would be a bit difficult to truly set up residence since most private locations have permissions set such that outsiders cannot rez objects.

That being said, you could possibly get away with it on some group land.  I did that at the Forum Cartel hangout for about a month many years ago when I was between homes - rezzed a skybox high up, but only rezzed a few objects inside so that I wouldn't use too many of the group's prims.

6 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

I did that at the Forum Cartel hangout for about a month many years ago when I was between homes -

Clover and I did that too.  We set up a little hobo campsite with a shipping crate and camp fire down by the beach.. 

BTW, this is so not what I thought the thread was about ...

• Like 8

2 hours ago, Rhonda Huntress said:

BTW, this is so not what I thought the thread was about ...

We think alike, In fact I am going to look for a pose now so I can take a picture of me doing it.

• Like 5

3 hours ago, bebejee said:

Anyone done it? set up
residence in an empty property, were you discovered by owner?

Yes, around 2010 or so. It was more common then. We just set up in some prefab houses on a sim which had a club (which we were known for going to) and build permissions left on - probably for 3 or 4 months in total. 

Pretty sure the sim owner secretly knew, but she never did anything against us - until, one day, she had a hissy fit with her partner and nuked the whole sim. 

Can't imagine doing it now - SL is a very different place, and many sims far more regulated than in the past...

• Like 1

closest i got was at a former free land sim  on the mainland while it was active it was virtually squatting anyway but when the guy running the sims mysteriously quit SL everyone grabbed all the prims they could and rezzed homes to live in until it was taken over by Governor Linden and sold off.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

I found an outhouse once and took a pic of me squatting in it

/me wonders where that pic went

Maybe it fell into the wrong hands. Do you have a lawyer? Better yet, maybe a really big brother who is good at finding people and making it really hard for other people to find them?

• Like 1

A friend and I did once take up a sort of very temporary residence in a house. It was on a beach sim where there were signs advertising the entire sim was for public use. An irate woman showed up and asked us, with a voice that had sharp teeth, why we were in her house and why we were doing what we were doing, in her house. I think her face changed color a bit too. Anyway, we went somewhere else after apologizing in small, ineffectual voices.

• Like 1

I tried squatting once on a no return sandbox. I got my stuff back in twenty-four hours. It was just an experiment. I used to find "sandboxes" on private property, built stuff, rezzed stuff, cleaned it up and took it with me.

After I got my 512 n 2008, I became very anti-squatter. Finding them on academic sims made me even angrier. If I find squatters, I alert the sim owner. I've even reported one idiot who left X-rated stuff on a G-rated academic sim to Linden Labs because the sim owner, was busy dealing with floods in real life. I wrote the sim owner and explained how to set autoreturn. My attitude is I pay. You should pay too.

I have never squatted in SL. I did visit lots of people's houses when I first joined and I would turn on faucets and take cookies. I didnt see the need for permanent housing when I could go into other houses easily. My attitude changed after setting up a store on the mainland and the feeling of going back to the same familiar place was comforting. I rented a parcel to live in and have been doing so for a long while.

• Like 2

didn't rent or own place from 2006 to 2009 and loitered in my group's fav shops. life happened, came back in 2013 and crowned myself the king of hobos. eh, not really but found a sim with permissions and no owner present ... ever. still going there sometimes if needing to test something. kinda freeloaded on husband who had a series of weird houses but then we got our own parcel.

if ya need private space to rezz a thing or two - search map for empty places. also land sales sometimes have permissions ticked.

On 2017-6-19 at 8:22 PM, bebejee said:

Anyone done it? set up
residence in an empty property, were you discovered by owner?

I have banned plenty of people for it, some even tried to ban me from the land they where squating on, they learned quickly you can not ban an estate owner/manager

• Like 2

LLs has certain public use places. Unfortunantly you can't rez on them. When I was new I would go to a sandbox and rez a house and hang out lol. Three hours later or so the house would be returned but hey it was home for 3 hours at a time.

There are a few places on mainland where the owners are so old that their profiles are no longer valid. These absentee landowners seem to pay no rent themselves, yet the lab refuses to tidy up the records and reassign the land. If its no return there, I say its fair game.

Frankly, mainland is in a pretty shameful state and could do with half of it being removed entirely.

A long time ago found a whole sim where the absentee landlord had left it open-build.  I wasn't the first to discover this - there was a lot of junk lying around.  Anyway, I built a big skybox there as a second home, much bigger than my official home at the time!  I had that skybox for months - maybe a year even.  Eventually, either the owner returned or the land changed hands and all the junk, including my skybox, was deleted. 

I also used to set up shops on open-build empty land and sold quite a few items from them before they got deleted.  A bit naughty but it earned me L$!  

Am I right that a landowner used to be able to set their land so anyone could terraform it too? 

Edited by Conifer Dada

A land owner can set terraforming for anyone but on mainland is kind of useless since you can only terraform it +/-4 meters.

I had almost 1/2 a sim at one time, purchased a parcel at a time. They were all group owned and rez by group only but I missed one parcel setting autoreturn. I noticed a dot up above me when I was in my workshop and checked the prims used and who rezzed them and saw 500 or so under a name I didn't recognize. I flew up to about 3000m and there was a guy that had set up a fully furnished skybox. I kicked him from the group and banned him. Then I got mean. I returned his skybox in pieces from opposite sides of the box and managed to include a no copy item in most so he had to rez them out to retrieve his stuff. As you know, coalesced objects rez in the relationship they were in when returned so 20 meters or more apart. 

I would have loved to be there when he started opening stuff up.

I then set up a small area for opening boxes with a 5 minute return.

• Like 2

When I used to dance years ago,I had sold my land and stayed in the dressing room of the club I worked at for a couple of days until I got my sim..

I don't know if it's actually squatting since I spent most of my time there working and hanging out with friends anyways and would log in and out  there a lot of time time..

That's about the only time period that I can think of that I didn't have my own place that I was paying for..

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2495 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.