Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Raizan Field

LF > Roleplaying Poets

Recommended Posts

Heyo! I'm looking for a few poets to perform their best pieces on our sim.

If you're interested, please feel free to contact me through IM, NC, or Raizan.Field.com.

Thank you for your time and hope to hear from you soon

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Talligurl said:

If i roleplay as a poet, do my poems have to actually be written by me?

If they are, I question whether you are roleplaying.

I think the thread title was a slip of the pen by Raizan. It amused me.

We need more poetry. Some of the function calls in the LSL wiki actually have their own Haiku.

Edited by Madelaine McMasters

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Madelaine McMasters said:

I think the thread title was a slip of the pen by Raizan. It amused me.

I think so to, but I had t go there. I could be the Emily Dickinson of SL

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Talligurl said:

I could be the Emily Dickinson of SL

And I could be the Bullwinkle...

Imagine Bullwinkle having Rocky's voice (the great June Foray, now 90) and that would be about how I'd roleplay it.

Edited by Madelaine McMasters

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Madelaine McMasters said:

I love the idea of roleplaying a poet!

;-).

/me wears a baggy linen shirt with lace cuffs and drinks laundenum while pretending to be dying of consumption...

2 hours ago, Talligurl said:

If i roleplay as a poet, do my poems have to actually be written by me?

It's roleplay! You don't actually have poems at all, you pretend to do poetry and the other roleplayers pretend it was good! If they don't you complain OCC that

"(( you guys are terrible people, and are ruining my RP! ))"



 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I roleplay as an artist with paintings I don't actually paint, if I could figure out how to do that with poems, I would be all over the roleplay poet thing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Talligurl said:

I roleplay as an artist with paintings I don't actually paint, if I could figure out how to do that with poems, I would be all over the roleplay poet thing.

Haiku is good for not-poem poems, once you grasp the 3 line count the sounds format, it's relatively easy to do, they don't have to rhyme or make sense, the more obscure and enigmatic the better.

Years ago, in an atheist chat room I was a mod for, we used to have Haiku nights where all your chat had to be in haiku...
 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Haiku is fun

You need no poetic skill

Just learn to count sounds
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Talligurl said:

If i roleplay as a poet, do my poems have to actually be written by me?

Yes, they would have to be written by you. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Talligurl said:

If i roleplay as a poet, do my poems have to actually be written by me?

 

6 hours ago, Madelaine McMasters said:

If they are, I question whether you are roleplaying.

I think the thread title was a slip of the pen by Raizan. It amused me.

We need more poetry. Some of the function calls in the LSL wiki actually have their own Haiku.

No, I did mean a poet who roleplays reading his, her poems. It's possible. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Klytyna said:

Haiku is good for not-poem poems, once you grasp the 3 line count the sounds format, it's relatively easy to do, they don't have to rhyme or make sense, the more obscure and enigmatic the better.

Years ago, in an atheist chat room I was a mod for, we used to have Haiku nights where all your chat had to be in haiku...
 

1

/me approaches the mic, grabs the base and looks into the darkness engulfing the audience. She inhales, " Hey everyone." she grabs the cold glass of water left on her stool and takes a sip. "This one is called....." (( and you start your poem))

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

/me thinks "I have to describe my every move instead of just letting people watch my AO move me" she grabs her purse and runs for the exit.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Talligurl said:

"I have to describe my every move instead of just letting people watch my AO move me"

That's... kind of what roleplay is. Unless, of course, you have an AO that lets you move up to a mic and grab the base of it, pause to look out over a crowd, visibly breathe in, pick up a glass of water from beside you, take a sip from it, and then start speaking ;)

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Skell Dagger said:

That's... kind of what roleplay is. Unless, of course, you have an AO that lets you move up to a mic and grab the base of it, pause to look out over a crowd, visibly breathe in, pick up a glass of water from beside you, take a sip from it, and then start speaking ;)

Yes I know, I just am not a fan of it probably because i am not very good at it, I also apparently am not very good at irony.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Talligurl said:

 I also apparently am not very good at irony.

Many people have problems with irony, all you need to remember is its like goldy and silvery except made of iron... ;) 
 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think there may be better places than the forums to seek out SL poets. You get a very small number of users with a very diverse set of talents here, I would check in world for groups dedicated to poetry. You might also want to consider having people read the poetry of others, some poets might not want to do the roleplay, but would not mind having their work used in that context.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Talligurl said:

I think there may be better places than the forums to seek out SL poets. You get a very small number of users with a very diverse set of talents here, I would check in world for groups dedicated to poetry. You might also want to consider having people read the poetry of others, some poets might not want to do the roleplay, but would not mind having their work used in that context.

The reading people's poems might be advice I'm going to have to take- you may be right. 

I'll try groups as well. Thank you so much Talligurl! 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Written Word is a good group to check out, also Lyrical Cafe. There's a bunch of open Mic poetry on Sundays. The Apple, distributed by Klannex Northmead in world, is a great resource for poetry events. Hotel Chelsea does an open Mic every Sunday with a featured reader, should start at 1230PM.

I suppose I am a poet. Contact me in world if you would like a few submissions.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×