You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2496 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hi, so I'm fairly new to SecondLife. I've only been playing for about a year so I'm not fully certain on how to do everything. I'm not sure if I'm in the right topic and I apologize if I'm not but I'm wondering how I would go about purchasing land and how I would know how many prims come with the land and everything like that? I've tried searching online to find something but i can't seem to find anything letting me know? This is my first time attempting to purchase my own land and I just have zero idea what to do or how to go about it. I know that I can go into the World Map and view plots of land that are for sale and rent and what-not but I have no idea on how to go about actually purchasing this land. I've tp'd to the land to see if there was any information there and none of them have had anything so far. Any feedback would be helpful!

Edit: I figured out that if you go on the land you can go to World > Buy This Land but I'm still confused about prims!

Edited by ellovaa

You need to have a premium membership to buy land.

You can buy PRIVATE land without a membership. You are actually LEASING the land however as you never "own" the land, so a difference there.

You need to look in the LAND TAB of the viewer to see info on the land. A 512 mainland lot now comes with 175 prims. You can see the size of the lot and how many prims it will accommodate === again in the LAND TAB of the viewer. 

Typically private land for sale (again not really a sale) has a big sign to click or one that has all the info about that piece rezzed in the center of the parcel.   

Good luck. 

@Chic Aeon So, I know with the premium membership you get 512sqm at no cost but anything exceeding that you have to pay monthly. Would the costs of the land be added onto my monthly subscription or is that a separate transaction? Also, do you pay for land with real world money or Ls?

P.S I don't have a Land tab?

P.S.S Is there a way to get additional prims if needed?

Edited by ellovaa

1 hour ago, ellovaa said:

@Chic Aeon So, I know with the premium membership you get 512sqm at no cost but anything exceeding that you have to pay monthly. Would the costs of the land be added onto my monthly subscription or is that a separate transaction? Also, do you pay for land with real world money or Ls?

Buying the land is a separate transaction - you pay for that right up front with L$.  You are then charged monthly on the maximum amount of land that you held in the previous monthly period - minus your 512 premium amount.

When on a parcel, click the name of it in the top of the viewer and the first tab is the Land tab - I think, I'm not on the SL viewer right now.  Maybe also called the General tab - the first tab in the info box that pops up for the land.

For mainland, you cannot get extra prims.

Edited by LittleMe Jewell

2 hours ago, ellovaa said:

Any extra MAINLAND tier will get charged to the same credit card that you entered when paying for your premium account.   So if you buy a 1024 it will be $5 extra a month. The rates are all listed in the web backend of your account AND if you buy a parcel before you buy it will tell you how much more you will be paying by buying that land. 

I am also not in the Linden Viewer so not sure where the Land Tab would be. Sorry .The Linden viewer isn't all that popular *wink*.  I suspect that you can RIGHT CLICK on the land and get the land tab that way.

landtab.thumb.JPG.0bd31478de3d7cb9217979d4593ec873.JPG

Prims are directly tied to the size of the land so there is no way to increase your prims unless you are renting (or leasing from a private estate and THEY give bonus prims. This is normally because they set aside roads and lakes and parks etc and give the extra prims not used to the tenants. 

3 hours ago, Chic Aeon said:

A 512 mainland lot now comes with 175 prims.

2 hours ago, ellovaa said:

What might not have been obvious in our replies is that it is 175 prims PER 512 sqm.  So if you want more prims you can buy a bigger plot.  Or, as Chic said, you can buy/rent on the private estates/

On the official second life viewer, click on 'world' and then 'about land' in the drop down menu. I've always just right clicked on the land to get information because it also draws a yellow border line to show you the size and shape. I don't have premium so I just rent land using linden dollars.

I will just add that the Marketplace is a fine way to look for land. See under "Real estate". You will often "buy" a free landmark that take you to an available plot for leasing. I like that word... Chic is right, you buy it but you buy the right to use the land. You have owner rights, to ban, terraform, set home there. The price on private land is often 1 or 0 L, just a formality. You will have to pay rent immediatly. I usually don't pay more than 1-2 weeks at a time.

Sort the Marketplace listings so you have newest first. The active landlords will often have agents inworld, so when you land on available land, you can get an IM offering assistance.

Just to condense the info in this thread:

Buying Mainland

1. You must have a premium account.

2. You buy it with L$, from a user (unless you buy it from the auction), and it's a one-time payment.

3. Each month you have it, you have to pay tier (rent) to LL for it, except for the first 512sqm of it, which is free of tier. The tier is paid for from your account's US$ balance, and not from your L$ balance. You can't pay tier to LL with L$.

4. You can use 175LI per 512sqm. The About Land floater for the plot tells you exactly how many LI the plot supports.

5. LL will not foreclose on you.

Buying Private Estate Land

1. You do not need to have a premium account.

2. You buy it with L$, from a user. The user may be the estate owner or an individual who bought it before you. The cost may be 0L or 1L or much more.

3. Each month you have it, you pay tier to the estate owner, not to LL. The estate owner has to pay tier for the estate to LL, so, to make a profit, private estate land tier can be higher than mainland tier. The tier is normally paid with L$.

3a. There is no tier-free 512sqm.

4. You can use 175LI per 512sqm, unless the estate owner has increased it.

5. The estate owner can foreclose on you at any time and for any reason, and you have no comeback at all. Some of the reasons for foreclosure are, the owner selling the estate to another user and the new owner kicking you out, the owner giving up the estate (same as abandoning mainland), any reason that comes into the owner's head.

Land ownership

You don't actually own land in the normal sense of ownership, regardless of who you buy it from. Except for the tier-free 512 (mainland only), you always have to pay monthly tier for it, either to LL or to a user.

I hope that helps to clarify it all for you.

ETA: I said LI and not prims. I'm not logged in and I don't know if the About Land floater displays the value in LI or prims, but whatever allowance is stated for the land, it's actually LI because you can have many more prims on the land than a prim value states.

Edited by Phil Deakins
  • Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2496 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.