Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Princess Ivory

Current L/sqm for roadside mainland?

Recommended Posts

Hi,

I've been out of SL for a few years, and now I'm back and looking at land for my small store. Looking at 512 sqm lots with protected roadside access. Wondering what the going rate in L/sqm is for that type of property? Or for mainland in general.

The info I find online is out of date. Can someone address the current situation, please?

Thanks,

Princess Ivory

Edited by Princess Ivory

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Or even better since you know you want a roadsice parcel: look at the big map, active for sale display and browse along the Linden roads.

As to what price you should expect, anything from 1 to 5 L$/m2 depending on the location.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, ChinRey said:

Or even better since you know you want a roadsice parcel: look at the big map, active for sale display and browse along the Linden roads.

As to what price you should expect, anything from 1 to 5 L$/m2 depending on the location.

Agreed that the "best" method is to look on the map. Check one continent at a time unless you know you want a certain one. Follow the roads as a roadmap in your case (I follow the beach line :D). As to price, it can be anything for 1 linden per square meter (doubtful for roadside) to unbelievable amounts that are extremely unrealistic. Obviously the folks listing for 50 sq m and up just like thinking that they have "the best" parcel around. 

And so far as the current situation --- while I actually have a beach and roadside parcel, there is very little advantage to that these days. Folks don't drive around and shop :D.  Yes, I can remember going for my very first stroll around the neighborhood of my $25 a week apartment almost a decade ago. But those days are gone.  Even having an inworld store can be worked around in many cases.  

So I would do some more exploring and see how business has changed before you buy.  If YOU like to drive, then that is a completely different scenario of course.  


 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, iamyourneighbour said:

I offer killer price of 1L$ for 2 prims lol

mainland is sold by sqm

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, Alwin Alcott said:

mainland is sold by sqm

Why is that the case? Consider most people do one of the following

1. Box themselves in on the ground

2. Skybox

3. Build some monstrosity that hurts the eye

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, iamyourneighbour said:

Why is that the case? Consider most people do one of the following

1. Box themselves in on the ground

2. Skybox

3. Build some monstrosity that hurts the eye

perhaps explain what your 3 points have to do with mainland sales?

It's just as the system in SL is, all grounds are sold in sqm. Mainland or Estate, no difference.

 

note: this has nothing to do with how some owners rent out their land. That's sometimes per prim/li use.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Alwin Alcott said:

perhaps explain what your 3 points have to do with mainland sales?

It's just as the system in SL is, all grounds are sold in sqm. Mainland or Estate, no difference.

 

note: this has nothing to do with how some owners rent out their land. That's sometimes per prim/li use.

If hes not being facetious, what hes saying makes perfect sense. Parcels rent out per sq meter, but that also means there is a per prim price for a parcel of any given size.

I often tell people looking to rent that if all they are considering is cost, try mainland because the per prim price is far cheaper there than on an estate for the same size parcel.

Of course you get far less rights since you aren't "owner" but some people don't care

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/10/2017 at 3:21 PM, BilliJo Aldrin said:

Of course you get far less rights since you aren't "owner" but some people don't care

I am not sure it is so much people do not care, as it is some people cannot buy land because to buy land you have to be premium, and being premium means you have to put real money into SL, and some people's budgets do not allow it. To finance their SL they start a business, produce something of value and try to sell it. To better promote their business, they get a store in world, which they have to rent, because they are not premium members. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, Talligurl said:

I am not sure it is so much people do not care, as it is some people cannot buy land because to buy land you have to be premium, and being premium means you have to put real money into SL, and some people's budgets do not allow it. To finance their SL they start a business, produce something of value and try to sell it. To better promote their business, they get a store in world, which they have to rent, because they are not premium members. 

What was being contrasted wasn't so much Mainland ownership but rather "owning" an Estate parcel, which is really a rental arrangement except for certain parcel permissions that are difficult or impossible to imitate with a Mainland rental. About the closest you can get as a Mainland landlord is to offer each tenant their own unique per-parcel group to which the land is deeded, then use group roles to grant nearly all the same abilities as an Estate parcel owner gets. But it's a tremendous pain for the landlord to juggle all those groups.

Also, there's really nothing more "real" about the money paid for Premium -- if a resident has a business, they can sell those L$s for US$s with only nominal exchange fee, and use that income to fund the Premium membership and the tier for a Mainland parcel. The real problem is that owners of smaller Mainland parcels pay relatively higher tier, so a rental is often more cost-effective in such cases, whether that rental is Mainland or Estate.

Edited by Qie Niangao

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/14/2017 at 9:08 PM, Talligurl said:

I am not sure it is so much people do not care, as it is some people cannot buy land because to buy land you have to be premium, and being premium means you have to put real money into SL, and some people's budgets do not allow it. To finance their SL they start a business, produce something of value and try to sell it. To better promote their business, they get a store in world, which they have to rent, because they are not premium members. 

There is so much confusion between renting and owning land. If your name shows in the ownership line in the about land tab, you own it. Owning it means you have to pay either rent to an estate owner or tier to Linden Lab.

If i own a mainland parcel, i have to pay tier to Linden Lab. If i own an estate parcel, i have to pay rent to the estate owner.

As you say, non premium members can't own mainland, they can only pay rent for mainland, but with far fewer rights than if they rented (owned) a parcel on an estate.

 

Edited by BilliJo Aldrin
added two words for clarity

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/14/2017 at 9:44 PM, Qie Niangao said:

What was being contrasted wasn't so much Mainland ownership but rather "owning" an Estate parcel, which is really a rental arrangement except for certain parcel permissions that are difficult or impossible to imitate with a Mainland rental. About the closest you can get as a Mainland landlord is to offer each tenant their own unique per-parcel group to which the land is deeded, then use group roles to grant nearly all the same abilities as an Estate parcel owner gets. But it's a tremendous pain for the landlord to juggle all those groups.

Also, there's really nothing more "real" about the money paid for Premium -- if a resident has a business, they can sell those L$s for US$s with only nominal exchange fee, and use that income to fund the Premium membership and the tier for a Mainland parcel. The real problem is that owners of smaller Mainland parcels pay relatively higher tier, so a rental is often more cost-effective in such cases, whether that rental is Mainland or Estate.

Tier for my 4096 sq m on mainland is close the the same as rent for a 4096 sq m on an estate. Plus on mainland i can incorporate my free 512 sq m into it so in fact I can have a 4608 sq m compared to a 4096 sq m

Renting on an estate gives you full parcel ownership rights because your name is on the parcel as owner, Renting on mainland gives you only limited renters rights, because the person you are renting from is still the parcel owner. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, BilliJo Aldrin said:

Renting on an estate gives you full parcel ownership rights because your name is on the parcel as owner, Renting on mainland gives you only limited renters rights, because the person you are renting from is still the parcel owner. 

Yeah, but if instead the parcel owner of that Mainland rental is a Group unique to that one rental, the landlord can reserve only a very few permissions to herself -- notably the ability to sell and buy more land for the group (and a few internal group controls, to be sure to reclaim the group and its land when the rental ends). In practice, very few Estate tenants re-sell their rental parcels, so that doesn't matter much.

As I mentioned, though, this is not a common approach to Mainland rentals because it requires the landlord (and alts) to juggle a Group for every rental. It however does shift other stuff from being requests of the landlord to abilities of the tenant, so that's a win.

In the bigger picture, though, Estate owners have a bunch of land & sim management abilities that Mainlanders lack altogether (including anti-griefer "Estate bans") so those also benefit Estate tenants, if more indirectly.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

He never has to reclaim the land, because he always owned it.

I've seen mainland rentals where the land is still set for sale, If i wanted to, i could have bought it and immediately kicked the renter out.

Mainland landlords often have hundreds or thousands of parcels they rent out. That means their parcel specific groups would have to be spread out over dozens of alts.

Its really not necessary to have parcel specific groups, just a renters group, because, I suspect most mainland renters don't even know or care about the powers they don't have, they just want cheap prims. If they did care, they'd rent on an estate.

:)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

And another thing, when you rent mainland you have to wait days or weeks before the parcel owner shows up to give you any rights by inviting you to a  group. If you rent land, you want to be able to do stuff right now, not a week from Tuesday when the land owner finally shows up in world. "Buying" land on an estate gives you all the powers instantly. 

If owning land on mainland is terrible compared to an estate, then renting is 10 times worse.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The larger Mainland landlords typically use group-inviter bots (with at least one particularly notable exception who leaves the rental group open to all).

I learned early-on that it's a big win for each rental to have its own group, if on a small enough scale to make that practical. It allows tenants to have abilities that will cause all kind of trouble if they have those same abilities in a common all-tenants group. Really, if they have those abilities, it's indistinguishable from an Estate rental -- except to the extent a Mainland owner lacks Estate control.

Certainly not all Mainland tenants value those controls, but yeah, I suppose the ones who don't probably are just wanting the cheapest rents.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...