problem with editing object

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2504 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Don't know if this is the right place to post, but this seemed like a post related to building since it concerns editing an object. I have a pair of earrings that I used to wear all the time and one is suddenly acting strangely. When I try to edit it the x,y,z axis arrows are some distance away from the object, but this is only the case with one earring -- it is a set of two objects, a left and a right, and only  the right one is acting screwy. I have included a screen shot which shows the distance between the positioning arrows and and the object. Since the arrows are so far away from the object it is impossible for me to position it relative to my body. Plus it wasn't doing that before. I have no idea if I inadvertently clicked somewhere I shouldn't have. The earrings are "no copy" and not super expensive but I'd rather not have to buy another pair. Can anyone help?

In the image just the problem earring is selected and you can see it highlighted hovering behind me. 

Thanks!

Snapshot_002.jpg

Edited by Sagadin
typo

This is really weird. It's almost as if the earring has somehow been linked to another object that cannot be seen. I've never seen this kind of thing. The only advice I can give is the usual, try attaching it in different sims, try enabling some of the various viewer Developer > Render > Metadata settings to see if any visual clues are revealed, rez each of the earrings on the ground and see if there is an LI difference between them. Otherwise, I'm at a loss.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Ivanova Shostakovich said:

This is really weird. It's almost as if the earring has somehow been linked to another object that cannot be seen.

Or, perhaps more likely, one small or transparent part of the earring has become displaced and ended up far away from the rest.

First thing to do is type Ctrl+Alt+T to see transparent objects. There is a good chance the dislocated prim will show up then.

If that doesn't work:

1. Take all the usual jewelry work precautions - work in a snadbox with autoreturn and and on a black background prim (black background to make it easier to see, autoreturn in case you loose it).
  2. Rez the earring and select it to edit.
  3. Check Edit linked checkbox
  4. Deselect (click while holding the shift key down) the visible prims in the earring one by one.
  5. Once you have deselected all known parts, what you're left with, is that unknown one that causes the displacement. If it's something that belongs to the earring, move it into place, if not, unlink it.

If you haven't worked with jewelry before, use Ctrl-8, Ctrl-9 and Ctrl-0 to zoom and Ctrl-Alt+T to show/hide transparent items. You're going to need those keyboard shortcuts a lot!

• Like 3

First thoughts...

I zoomed in on the picture to check your edit settings. 'stretch both sides' is unticked, so if you ever use the crtl+shift to switch to resize mode and drag the corner points, the center of the item will move away from where it was. If you resized an invisible root prim with 'stretch both sides' unticked, you could easily move the axis well away from the actual earing.

Then there is the 'edit axis' option, tick that and check that the odd earing hasn't accidentally been set to have it's axis offset.

Press crtl-alt-t to toggle invisi-squint, select the earing, see if theres a prim off at the offset axis point too, or cycle through the linkset by ticking 'edit linked' and using crtl+[period] to select next prim and crtl+[comma] to select previous prim, so much easier than trying to click on them or using the build menu entries.

• Like 2

@ChinRey @Klytyna

You were right! There was an invisible prim that had gotten separated from the main object and the movement axis ended up midway between the two. Ctrl+Alt+T and Ctrl+[period] are my new friends. I moved that prim back into place and the problem is now fixed.

Thanks!

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2504 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.