Jump to content
Princess Ivory

Links in profiles - need current info

Recommended Posts

Hi,

I found some discussions in this forum saying that to put a clickable link in a profile (I'm trying a group profile) you use the format [http://yourweblink.com Word]

These posts were from around 2014. It isn't working for me. I viewed the profile with an alt, and the link isn't there, just the code. Is there a new way to do it? I am using Firestorm.

Appreciate any help.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi hi,

You can use i.e. the format [https:\\djdargo.nl DJDargo] in your profile, it should show up as a link in the viewer

Unfortunately this does not work for group profiles, and I don't think there's a way to add clickable URL's to the group profiles

 

Regards,

Dargo

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I will stop trying to make the groups profile work, then. Thanks for the info.

When I try that formatting in my own profile, it creates a link, but to the whole address, not to the word/words that follow the link. Please see my profile (Princess Ivory) to see what I mean. I'd appreciate if you could determine what I'm doing wrong.

Thank you

Princess Ivory

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, Princess Ivory said:

I will stop trying to make the groups profile work, then. Thanks for the info.

When I try that formatting in my own profile, it creates a link, but to the whole address, not to the word/words that follow the link. Please see my profile (Princess Ivory) to see what I mean. I'd appreciate if you could determine what I'm doing wrong.

Thank you

Princess Ivory

as far i know this does only work in the old profiles, ( as you still can find on firestorm) not in the webprofiles as used in the LL viewer.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, Kardargo Adamczyk said:

Looks like this for me, in Firestorm

5946e2ff85633_Profileprincess-2.jpg.cfb893539898938cb0083b5b17577699.jpg

Regs,

Dargo..:)

Grrrr....it was right when my alt checked it in Firestorm this morning. Not sure what's up with this. You see that it made the web address a link? It didn't assign the link to the word that followed, like it was supposed to. I used the format: [webaddress.com Word] Isn't that the right way to do it?

Princess Ivory

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, Princess Ivory said:

Grrrr....it was right when my alt checked it in Firestorm this morning. Not sure what's up with this. You see that it made the web address a link? It didn't assign the link to the word that followed, like it was supposed to. I used the format: [webaddress.com Word] Isn't that the right way to do it?

Princess Ivory

HTML Webcode traditionally is a bit more complicated than putting a url and then a word and hoping the viewers/web browsers will guess what you want them to do...

The old html code for links with user friendly text in place of the url was:



<a href="http://www.somesiteorother.erk"> User FRiendly words here </a>

I have no idea if this works with SL profiles, but certainly just putting some words after a url almost certainly WON'T.



 

Edited by Klytyna

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Klytyna said:

HTML Webcode traditionally is a bit more complicated than putting a url and then a word and hoping the viewers/web browsers will guess what you want them to do...

The old html code for links with user friendly text in place of the url was:



<a href="http://www.somesiteorother.erk"> User FRiendly words here </a>

I have no idea if this works with SL profiles, but certainly just putting some words after a url almost certainly WON'T.



 

I was following a format I found elsewhere in the forum. Obviously, it does not work. I am officially giving up now. Apparently, the linking cannot be done.

Thanks for the input everyone.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Princess Ivory said:

I was following a format I found elsewhere in the forum. Obviously, it does not work. I am officially giving up now. Apparently, the linking cannot be done.

Thanks for the input everyone.

again.... works only in the legacy profiles... not webbased as shown in those pics.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Princess Ivory the web profiles are usually a lill slow in updating, so if you added a simple URL to the page first and then changed it to the Firestorm format, its possible the two were not in sync yet. and yes, when it looks good in the legacy profile, it does not look well in the web version and vice versa, there is no unified code for both versions of the profile. (yet)

@Klytyna HTML will not work in profiles, not in the web or legacy version. That's why firestorm uses the [https://djdargo.nl djdargo] conversion, again, this doesn't look pretty in the web profiles, what does work in the web profiles is a simple URL, this will be converted to a clickable format, and this will work in both profile versions.

if the links are too long you can use a url shortener service (i.e. google or bitly) to make short codes for your links.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×