Prolonged Freezing - unable to type or move

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2499 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Bit of a random thing has started happening today on my hubby's pc today. He logged into SL as normal but just as it loads his avi freezes, well everything freezes. He can't even type. Every minute or so it will unfreeze for about 2 seconds and then freeze again.

I decided to uninstall and do a clean install. I checked all his preferences and made sure everything was correct on the login screen first, then logged in. Again it logs in fine and as soon as it loads and the screen changes to the normal avi screen everything freezes again. 

I have checked and no changes to his firewall or anti virus. He does get a media plugin error come up saying unable to plugin, but thats it. We both have the same laptops, with the same software and viewer and (touch wood) my laptop is running firestorm fine. I am at a loss as to what is causing this and would be grateful for any input or ideas how to fix this issue. 

He is going to drive me insane lol Please help!!!! 

I do see temporary freezes, using Firestorm on Linux, but not often, and nothing like this. I have a suspicion, no more, that virtual memory management could be part of the issue, but the usual Firestorm Support response is to demand a test with the SL Viewer. That doesn't even load on my version of Linus, but every other Linux viewer works fine.

What I am sure of (but they say it doesn't matter) is that Firestorm uses a lot more RAM than other viewers.

In my experience, Cool VL Viewer is a reliable option on Linux, but it's a bit awkward to set up from scratch and the old v1-style UI will be a barrier. I don't recall seeing this sort of freeze, and it works well in crowded places, and that does incline me to think the root cause is in the viewer rather than the server. Since it is up-to-date on graphics, I shall likely use it for SL14B anyway.

It won't hurt to do things that reduce the graphics load: shorter draw distance and a lower Complexity limit. The old calls for using higher LOD settings won't help either.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2499 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.