OMG Wizzywhig!

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2477 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Wow! I just noticed, just a few minutes ago! I can start paragraphs with an indent and they are actually indented after I post. This is awesome! It's so great. But I have to write a lot because i need a few more sentences to make a decently sized paragraph to make the actual indent more evident. No, that was not an intentional attempt at rhyme. It was just happenstance. This will make my foruming experience all the more pleasant than it was before. Now I don't have to worry so much about being frustracted by how the first word of every paragraph is (was) crowding up against the margin as if it's (was) afraid of all the other words.

No longer will I post something and worry I will look like I don't know how to write. I won't feel lazy because I couldn't look up how to add indents using forum software that didn't support wysiwyg. Thank you LL, for this improved experience writing and communicating with all my fellow Second Life® residents. That reminds me. A superscript function would be a superaddition. LL FTW.

• Like 3

Ya know, I don't think I've used indentation since... ever. I just looked at my first professional writing exercise, a chapter for an engineering textbook that was subject to editorial review, and it's all block paragraphs. Curiously, other chapters in the book are indented with no inter-paragraph whitespace, so the editor wasn't terribly persnickety. I find close packed indented paragraphs harder to read, approaching the look of walls of text. My eyes want paragraph gaps and indentation there looks a li'l odd to me.

The default formatting for my word processor of choice (Apple's Pages) is straight block paragraph. It took me a few minutes to figure out how to change it, so I'm sure I've never used indenting. You've never looked to me like you didn't know now to write, probably because I read your words, and you have the best words ;-). But, with indentation, you now look like...

...how do I say this without getting swatted?...

...Mom?

• Like 6

10 minutes ago, Madelaine McMasters said:

Ya know, I don't think I've used indentation since... ever. I just looked at my first professional writing exercise, a chapter for an engineering textbook that was subject to editorial review, and it's all block paragraphs. Curiously, other chapters in the book are indented with no inter-paragraph whitespace, so the editor wasn't terribly persnickety. I find close packed indented paragraphs harder to read, approaching the look of walls of text. My eyes want paragraph gaps and indentation there looks a li'l odd to me.

The default formatting for my word processor of choice (Apple's Pages) is straight block paragraph. It took me a few minutes to figure out how to change it, so I'm sure I've never used indenting. You've never looked to me like you didn't know now to write, probably because I read your words, and you have the best words ;-). But, with indentation, you now look like...

...how do I say this without getting swatted?...

...Mom?

Go to bed tonight on time and don't run with scissors. I'll bake you some cookies tomorrow.

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, Madelaine McMasters said:

Mom???

This is actually getting poignant. I'm feeling, acutely, more mom feelings recently. This is because, all of a sudden, I have a high school graduate. *grabs a tissue* 

Edited by Ivanova Shostakovich
Because indentations distracted me... so shiny...
  • Like 3

54 minutes ago, Ivanova Shostakovich said:

This is actually getting poignant. I'm feeling, acutely, more mom feelings recently. This is because, all of a sudden, I have a high school graduate. *grabs a tissue* 

I have two moms (maybe three now?). Main Mom and Emergency Backup Mom, a neighbor who was present at my birth. They're both still here, 89 and 96 respectively. Two years ago, another long time neighbor passed away after a horrific battle with cancer. I babysat her daughter when I was a tween. I moved away after college and got married, and was surprised to learn that she'd gotten unexpectedly pregnant (now in her forties) and divorced her alcoholic husband after the baby's (Mac) birth. The daughter, now college age, went to live with the ex, leaving my neighbor to raise a kid on her own while trying to keep her career going.

Dad, ever the white haired knight, became the surrogate man in their lives. Over the years, hubby and I would stop over and find him reading Suess with Mac nestled in his lap, or in the back yard digging in the dirt or playing catch. I'd join in when I had the time. Then I got divorced, moved back home and Mom and Dad moved into a retirement village a mile away, to deal with the Alzheimer's that was starting to take him away. And I found myself with a 10 year neighbor who wanted to play catch and drive the tractor. He knew I had a good arm... and the keys. And I could bake lemon poppy muffins.

Mac was spoiled by his mom, my dad and probably me. Then cancer took my neighbor (on Mother's Day, dammit) and now I'm stuck with a 23 year old jackass. Nobody can make me cuss like that kid. He graduates from college next year and I am, I think, sharing your feelings, though probably not as acutely. Whenever I send him something, I pack the box with eleven lemon poppy muffins instead of bubble wrap. I want him to know he shared one muffin with his Emergency Backup Mom.

Everybody should have one.

Edited by Madelaine McMasters
  • Like 8

Indents have indeed been out for a few decades (I taught MS Word in the day). THAT being said, it is VERY NICE to have the choice for those that choose to be nostalgic. 

I have great praise for the new forums. They are run by a magical jinn who seems to answer our every wish.

Woot. 

• Like 4

On ‎6‎/‎14‎/‎2017 at 7:40 PM, Madelaine McMasters said:

I have two moms (maybe three now?). Main Mom and Emergency Backup Mom, a neighbor who was present at my birth. They're both still here, 89 and 96 respectively. Two years ago, another long time neighbor passed away after a horrific battle with cancer. I babysat her daughter when I was a tween. I moved away after college and got married, and was surprised to learn that she'd gotten unexpectedly pregnant (now in her forties) and divorced her alcoholic husband after the baby's (Mac) birth. The daughter, now college age, went to live with the ex, leaving my neighbor to raise a kid on her own while trying to keep her career going.

Dad, ever the white haired knight, became the surrogate man in their lives. Over the years, hubby and I would stop over and find him reading Suess with Mac nestled in his lap, or in the back yard digging in the dirt or playing catch. I'd join in when I had the time. Then I got divorced, moved back home and Mom and Dad moved into a retirement village a mile away, to deal with the Alzheimer's that was starting to take him away. And I found myself with a 10 year neighbor who wanted to play catch and drive the tractor. He knew I had a good arm... and the keys. And I could bake lemon poppy muffins.

Mac was spoiled by his mom, my dad and probably me. Then cancer took my neighbor (on Mother's Day, dammit) and now I'm stuck with a 23 year old jackass. Nobody can make me cuss like that kid. He graduates from college next year and I am, I think, sharing your feelings, though probably not as acutely. Whenever I send him something, I pack the box with eleven lemon poppy muffins instead of bubble wrap. I want him to know he shared one muffin with his Emergency Backup Mom.

Everybody should have one.

I do apologize for not doing this in a timely fashion; there's no excuse. I know the story. Nevertheless, a much belated but very Happy Mother's Day to you, Ms. McMasters. Your steadfast perseverance in the face of all the resistance that boy puts in your way does you credit.

Also Hi back, Ivanova. Nice to see you. :-)

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Dillon Levenque said:

I do apologize for not doing this in a timely fashion; there's no excuse. I know the story. Nevertheless, a much belated but very Happy Mother's Day to you, Ms. McMasters. Your steadfast perseverance in the face of all the resistance that boy puts in your way does you credit.

Also Hi back, Ivanova. Nice to see you. :-)

Thanks, Dil... back at ya! (Or should we have split the difference and celebrated your day on June 1?)

There's a lot of perseverance on Mac's part as well.

And I agree, it is nice to see my forum Emergency Backup Mom.

;-).

• Like 2

I  have always tapped out three spaces for an indent for each paragraph. I would do this on the previous forum while composing a post, only to have those spaces disregarded by the software when I clicked post. Now the indent that I have always manually made is kept intact in my posts. If you make an indentation, it will be there. It'll just be less evident with very short, or one sentence paragraphs. You can always ramble so people will notice your beautiful indents.

On 6/16/2017 at 3:06 PM, Ivanova Shostakovich said:

I  have always tapped out three spaces for an indent for each paragraph. I would do this on the previous forum while composing a post, only to have those spaces disregarded by the software when I clicked post. Now the indent that I have always manually made is kept intact in my posts. If you make an indentation, it will be there. It'll just be less evident with very short, or one sentence paragraphs. You can always ramble so people will notice your beautiful indents.

Did you forget to indent? Or did you intend to not indent? Not indent unintentionally..

• Like 1

On 29/06/2017 at 7:51 AM, Coby Foden said:

Indent
No indent
 Indent
No indent
 Indent ... let's see if this works. :SwingingFriends:

Yes I see, Coby, but I probably wont use it just like Ive dropped using the The Apostrophe character in most English words.....its obsolete. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CheriColette said:

Yes I see, Coby, but I probably wont use it just like Ive dropped using the The Apostrophe character in most English words.....its obsolete. 

Yes!  I stopped using most apostrophes and quotation marks after I read The Road! Who needs them???

• Like 1

3 hours ago, CheriColette said:

How can it be obsolete? It's purpose is sensible and hasn't changed, and nothing has replaced it. So, if its purpose was sensible, and if it hasn't been replaced, then it's still sensible and cannot be obsolete.

A heads up... When people write with poor grammar, it can be taken as an indication of a poor education or learning, which gives a negative impression of the person, whether or not it's justified. It's gives the same sort of impression as bad spelling, such as 'there' instead of 'their', and 'then' instead of 'than'. That's how I think of poor grammar, but it's entirely your choice how you prefer to be thought of. I'm assuming that you've dropped the apostrophe because you have the idea that it's obsolete, and not because you're often not quite sure whether it's correct to use it or not. Assumptions are often wrong, of course.

Edited by Phil Deakins
  • Like 5

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2477 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.