Please don't delete questions you think you've solved!

Innula Zenovka

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1377 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

If you post a question and then solve it, please don't delete the post's content, leaving it sitting there like so much useless spam.

You might think you no longer need the answer, but responses to the question are still valuable since other people, both now and in the future, will almost certainly find the discussion and proposed solutions helpful.  When I started to learn scripting I found it really helpful to browse through old forum discussions, since the questions and explanations answered so many questions for me about how LSL works.

So please don't delete the contents of your post, even though you now have a solution.   Other people are going to benefit from from posted discussions and solutions and -- you never know -- someone else might come up with an even better way of doing it than the one you've found.

• Like 20
  • Thanks 3

People even learn from the stuff that doesn't work, like when people post broken code and others post their fixed versions. I second this wholeheartedly; letting the records stay intact keeps the information out there for others, and also can let them see sometimes the progression from un-working to working script.

It's like when people say they solved it and then they say thanks and leave, and don't share how they solved it; much better to post the solution so that other people can learn from your example! Not everyone here is just looking for a quick fix to a problem, a lot of us are here as a form of continuing education. ^-^;

Edited by Berksey
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 1 year later...
  • 8 months later...
1 hour ago, Erwin Solo said:

I made a contribution to the library, and now it has been moved here.  How can I delete it? 

Users can't delete their own posts, it all has to be done by a moderator (Linden).

You can try to report your thread/post and ask for it to be deleted, but it is unlikely that it will be.

9 hours ago, Erwin Solo said:

I made a contribution to the library, and now it has been moved here.  How can I delete it? 

Because this is the proper forum where that thread should be. Why would you want to delete it?

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Alyona Su said:

Because this is the proper forum where that thread should be. Why would you want to delete it?

Right.  The Library is for finished scripts that have been tested in world.  If you're working on a script and want feedback on ways to improve it, it really belongs here, in the Scripting forum. That's a nice concept for a script, BTW.  

On 5/29/2019 at 1:46 AM, Wulfie Reanimator said:

Users can't delete their own posts, it all has to be done by a moderator (Linden).

You can try to report your thread/post and ask for it to be deleted, but it is unlikely that it will be.

Well, then why do we need a sticky note telling people not to do what can't be done anyway?

21 minutes ago, Erwin Solo said:

Well, then why do we need a sticky note telling people not to do what can't be done anyway?

The context for the title was people asking a question, getting it solved within the 24 hours that they can still edit their initial post, and then going in and removing (deleting) the contents of the question post.   If you read the first post in this thread, it is very clear what the context is, and why the request to not delete questions you've solved was being made.

• 5 months later...
  • 8 months later...
7 minutes ago, VirtualKitten said:

@Love ZhaoyingIts is a link to a page on the community page by From Pavcules Superior. from Wiki which most likely has been deleted by someone, The link now returns  "Sorry we could not find that"

4317bb7d9d09921f422d4db382479f2f.png

The post is about deleting Forum questions, not Wiki entries. Read more carefully and you will see. 

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1377 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.