Being Harassed, Threatened and TOC being broken

heidij24

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2263 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

Someone please help me. I have been harassed by an AVI and all her alts. She has taken my RL information and put it on her profile more then once. I have reported this well over 15 times and she still is doing it. What more do i have to do to get this to stop? This is affecting my mental health and my family as well. What does it take Linden Labs to do to stop her, me tying to hurt myself again? Please someone help me to make sure she stops this. I have photographic proof that she is doing this, what does it take to get it to stop?

13 answers to this question

• Administrators

Hello heidij24,

I'm sorry to hear that you're experiencing harassment in-world. We definitely do not condone of Real Life information of other Residents being shared.

Please be aware that Abuse related issues cannot be handled through the Support Line or Support Tickets, and must be reported through Abuse Reports. I have confirmed that we received your reports, and our Governance team will review them as soon as they are able.

In the meantime, we ask that you please review the following tips about handling in-world harassment:

• Consider using the Block/Mute feature. The Second Life viewer, as well as all Third Party Viewers, has the ability to block/mute other residents. This will not only prevent you from seeing what they are saying, both in public and private chat, but will also completely block their avatar so you will not see them at all. 
• If you are a land owner, adding their account to the ban list of your land will also prevent them from accessing your personal space. 
• If you feel that the person is following you from place-to-place, it may be that you are visiting your regular locations and the person knows this. 
• If you are using a Third Party Viewer, you may wish to make sure that RLV is not enabled, as this can allow a person to track your location as well (the location for turning that off is different depending upon the viewer, and you will need to access that specific viewer's documentation for further assistance in this regard). 

As with any harassment, if you fear this may have an impact on your real life, such as threats of personal harm or putting your actual safety at risk, we encourage you to also notify your local authorities so that they can assist you in taking the appropriate steps to ensure your real life safety. 

• Like 11

How does she get the information she posts? I would suggest starting over in SL, and then not sharing anything you are not comfortable with someone reposting anyplace they might think of. If you vanish from her sight, soon enough the stuff she has about you on her profile will be of n interest to her and she will take it down, maybe to harass some new victim but that isn't your problem.

• Like 4

That is just it, I shouldn't have to start over. I have done nothing wrong to this person, nothing. She has no right to do this and Linden Labs needs to stop it as it's breaking TOCs. I have paid my fair share to play this game and I am a Premium Member, so that should count for something.

29 minutes ago, heidij24 said:

I have done nothing wrong to this person, nothing.

No you have done nothing wrong, yet this person apparently has RL information about you that she is misusing. She couldn't do that if she didn't have it. You made a mistake to allow her to get this info. I do not know what prompted you to share this sensitive information, and I am sure it seemed like a good idea at the time, but you never really know when you are dealing with people you meet online. The fact is there are limits to what can be done for you, there is always a work around for any action LL might take, She can create alts, use other computers, short of physically going to her house and restraining her, which isn't going to happen, there is no way to stop her if she is determined. No way that is, other then you vanishing, and coming back as someone she doesn't know. I know it sucks, which is why I never share anything that can be used against me with anyone here.

• Like 6

As we have advised many times here in the forum, if you give a harasser no attention or response whatsoever, he will have no motivation to continue.

Block them however many times needed, and do not look at their profile (s).

Edited by Pamela Galli
  • Like 3

On 6/10/2017 at 3:25 PM, heidij24 said:

That is just it, I shouldn't have to start over. I have done nothing wrong to this person, nothing. She has no right to do this and Linden Labs needs to stop it as it's breaking TOCs. I have paid my fair share to play this game and I am a Premium Member, so that should count for something.

The concept of SHOULD trips many people. There SHOULD be world peace, people should be nice to one another, people shouldn't kill, rape, steal... They should not 'should' on others... 

One can attempt to hold to their ideas of how the world should be until it beats them into submission and they deal with the world as it is. Surrender early and suffer less pain and disappointment. Learn.

Whether you did something wrong or not, you have a situation. We can debate the right-wrongness forever. But, whether right or wrong you made a mistake and let someone get to you. Now you have an issue. You can be a victim and wait for someone to save you, fix it, and suffer until you figure out you'll need to handle it through action on your part.

I suggest you start with the easy and move on to the more complex. You may not have to change your name. But, it is the easiest and fastest solution and we know it has costs and is distasteful. Kirstin gave the easier first steps. Try them. Read posts here about dealing with griefers. Avoid thinking the Lindens or anyone going to save you or solve this. Any computer system can be hacked and there are loads of scammers thinking up ways to beat the system. It's the world we live in.

And... many of us have no problem dealing with the idiots and jerks in SL. Recognize the problem, name it, deal with it, and move on.

Keep reporting abuse. The Lindens read EVERY report and when appropriate take action. We never hear what they did, a privacy thing. There is also only so much they can do. If hackers can get into the most secure systems on the planet, faking an ID to get into SL is no problem. Resign yourself to the fact this is an ongoing battle with no end in sight.

Edited by Nalates Urriah
  • Like 6

I am having the same problem and i would like to if you guys would think about coming up with a way of fixing our profiles so that our profiles are not able to be viewed by people not on our friends. My problem is that when i post stuff on my profile i am being attacked by someone who thinks everything i put in mine is about her and she attacks me with my personal stuff her and i use to be friends and that is how she knows my stuff. I would like to be able to block my profile so i am not having to deal with his anymore i have been dealing with it now for 5 years and i have had enough. I have my profile set to cant find if not on friends but for her she has my calling card sense we was friends in the past. Please help i also have pics i have just been trying to ignore it but not easy when i get told by friends when she is doing it.

Go to your web profile page and click on Settings:

pic1.jpg.56764aef2cd171d008a8d5dcbebdf648.jpg

Then click on Privacy

pic2.jpg.9d2fc4a75034d7af44ebbc3b2c33acd9.jpg

Check the settings that you have for the items I highlited below.  Are they set to either Friend or Nobody? If not, change them. Note that you can further restrict what non-friends can see on your profile with the other options.

pic3.jpg.2ab3b9502e16a78708e849d249620b9a.jpg

Edited by LittleMe Jewell
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, Renay Kriewer said:

i would like to if you guys would think about coming up with a way of fixing our profiles

Sadly (or perhaps mercifully) there is not a thing that "we guys" can do to fix anything. This is a resident-to-resident Answers site, and we are all just like you. We can't do anything to change the way Linden Lab systems work.  The best we can do is show you how they are supposed to work ( as LittleMe has ^^ ), and commiserate if that's not enough to meet your needs.  Lindens rarely come here, and they never look here for things to fix.  That's what the Support site and the JIRA system are for. ;)

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2263 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.