Heterocera Roadtrip

Vehsta

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2503 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hey all, I am back from a many years break on SL with a new account.  I've always loved Mainland and it's craziness and while I've started setting up a shop on my dinky little 512 I've elected to forgo a traditional home.  Instead, I've bought a old station wagon with enough room to plop a mattress in the back.  I want to drive my way through some of the mainland and start a little public travel journal!  Since I'm renting a small spot in a parking lot at the Flamingo Court Motel on Heterocera, why not start there?  Anyone know of some drivable places I should be stopping along the way or places I could plonk my car down for a week  as I make my way through?  I'm willing to pay rent and will need 40 prims for the car and mattress, but 50 can allow me to rez a chair and bucket of beer. Once I'm finished I'd love to ferry over to Sansara and start again. 

Thanks ahead of time for any suggestions!

boop.jpg

• Like 8

Dear Vehsta,

I would say leave the car at home and go down to the big SLRR Railroad Station at Tulip Trees, where you can get a free locomotive. You are free to modify the thing, which I did. Heterocera has a huge railroad and you can ride the rails. Also walking the great wall is a lot of fun too.

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, Iyoba Tarantal said:

Dear Vehsta,

I would say leave the car at home and go down to the big SLRR Railroad Station at Tulip Trees, where you can get a free locomotive. You are free to modify the thing, which I did. Heterocera has a huge railroad and you can ride the rails. Also walking the great wall is a lot of fun too.

Yeah, I've gone back and forth on adopting multiple modes of transportation.  I'm aware of the Railroad  and I may hit the tracks too.  Thanks for the suggestion!  It's really mostly about exploring via established transportation routes so the RR seems like a natural choice too. 

• Like 1

Oh, Heterocera!

• Iris is mandatory. Jessica Orntiz' and Prokofy's group SL Public Land Preserve has done a great job preserving that classic SL build. You can't get there by car though.
  • Calleta: Arcadia Asylum's slum city build is still there and so is the hobo port.
  • The Great Wall - start at Athetis. You should do that stretch twice, once inside the wall and once on the top of it. But beware of unsecured sim crossings!
  • Route 6 around the northwest corner, start at Pandorus and go west. Bloomin Mole's plank road is one of my favorite little gems of SL. Apparently not to everybodyæs taste though - she once told me she got hate messages for people who did't like it. ;)
  • At the other end of Heterocera, be sure to stop at the Melanthia railroad station for a little bit of burglary
Edited by ChinRey
Typo
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, Vehsta said:

Hey all, I am back from a many years break on SL with a new account.  I've always loved Mainland and it's craziness and while I've started setting up a shop on my dinky little 512 I've elected to forgo a traditional home.  Instead, I've bought a old station wagon with enough room to plop a mattress in the back.  I want to drive my way through some of the mainland and start a little public travel journal!  Since I'm renting a small spot in a parking lot at the Flamingo Court Motel on Heterocera, why not start there?  Anyone know of some drivable places I should be stopping along the way or places I could plonk my car down for a week  as I make my way through?  I'm willing to pay rent and will need 40 prims for the car and mattress, but 50 can allow me to rez a chair and bucket of beer. Once I'm finished I'd love to ferry over to Sansara and start again. 

Lollygagger Lane (entrance off of road through Menophra, most of the build is in in Agriopis)

The Unknown Theme Park (Moneta/Rivula)

Virtual Soho/Chelsea Hotel (Bembecia/Lanestris)

• Like 3

13 hours ago, Vehsta said:

boop.jpg

I absolutely LOVE this idea!!! I would TOTALLY follow this!!!

• Like 2

Chelsea Hotel & Virtual Soho in Lanestris, Simple's zoo in Lythria. Route 6 is a lovely mountain road track... nice for horse riding, take the train to Pavonia for its start and keep an eye open for Simple's Mountain Retreat at Plebeja, that too is worth taking a look at.

Edited by Aethelwine
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, Aethelwine said:

Chelsea Hotel & Virtual Soho in Lanestris, Simple's zoo in Lythria. Route 6 is a lovely mountain road track... nice for horse riding, take the train to Pavonia for its start and keep an eye open for Simple's Mountain Retreat at Plebeja, that too is worth taking a look at.

Good old Chelsea hotel! I used to live there, but I just have to have more prims, lol! 

16 hours ago, Aethelwine said:

Chelsea Hotel & Virtual Soho in Lanestris,

I have an art gallery in the neighborhood (Chelsea Plaza, I always get confused as to where it is in relation to the hotel)

• Like 2

Hi, I'm glad you like Flamingo Court!

If you pick up a card of listings in the SL Public Land Preserve, you will find some areas where you can "camp" i.e. just as you say, a trailer, a chair, a few things for 40-50 prims. (Sign is at the gas station).

But a lot of them are in woods by rivers and sea and not near roads.

In Hector there is one pull-off we have (where the food truck is) where a rental box could be put up,. but that's not so far from where you are now in Juanita. And Columbia has a few 512s for rent cheaply ($150) although that's more than what you need. Maybe I should add a trailer park there. I may do that!

I think most landlords don't have the incentive to have parking or camping this small because people don't make use of it. I have fiddled with this formula myself now for two years and I think I have a fair mix. But it's hard to have the luxury to keep roadside spots open for occasional travelers. You might have to spend more, there are some hotels and camps along the Hetero roads but you may have to pay a bit more, $50 is hard to find. 

Edited by Prokofy Neva
  • Like 2

The Atoll roads are well equiped with official rez zones, especially the northwest part of Route 2. So watch out for these rez zones along the roads and bookmark them.

Addiionally you can rez at each and any of the many, many railroad stations. The Atoll certainly is a great place, if not the best mainland place for travel of any kind.

• Like 3

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2503 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.