Firestorm - How to resolve requests / problems

Amon Weston

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2561 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

" This JIRA ticket hasn't been updated for more than 3 years. This usually means the requested feature or improvement is not going to get implemented. As a result, this ticket has been closed as 'Won't Implement'. " (This is a bot message that appeared 54 times in FS Jira a few days ago)

Easy for the FS team to resolve requests / problems: Just wait more than 3 years and do nothing....

LOL

There are literally hundreds of issues in the LL jira that remain open for years on end, either because LL -- who have to prioritise stuff -- don't have the time to fix them because they're busy fixing other stuff or for some other reason.    LL have full time professional staff working on this who get paid and are told what to work on.    

Firestorm, in contrast, is staffed by volunteers who build and maintain the viewer in their own free time, because they enjoy doing it.   They can't be told off to go and fix particular jira issues in the same way salaried staff can be.

While I don't use Firestorm much myself, I think the Firestorm team's achievement in creating and maintaining the viewer over the years is quite astonishing, and I really think it's a bit unfair to complain about them not fixing everything promptly.   If people want to learn how to do it themselves and volunteer to help with outstanding jira issues, I'm sure the Firestorm team wouldn't turn down the offer of help.

• Like 4

Further some information on the issue in question would have been nice. Maybe someone else could tell, if there is a way around the issue or it may have been obsolete or even solved.

A happy FS user :D and can live with the twerks I have encountered ¬¬ - but just luv FS :x

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 2017-6-11 at 6:35 PM, Rachel1206 said:

Further some information on the issue in question would have been nice. Maybe someone else could tell, if there is a way around the issue or it may have been obsolete or even solved.

Read Amon's original post. The reason he sees for multiple JIRA entries being closed doesn't seem consistent with your suggestion.

JIRA is essentially a time management tool for a programming team. Why it gets used as it is around SL, I have no idea. As a bug-reporting tool, there end up being huge numbers of duplicate entries, and there's no way of merging the entries. I once worked through a chain of four entries before getting to the one being used for active progress reporting. It sort of works, if the people in control do their job, but it doesn't work well.

What Amon reports looks like the people in control not doing their job.

(From other contacts, I get the impression that the JIRA system is not regarded with unalloyed enthusiasm by programmers, it seems to be a tool associated with a particular management style.

perhaps a general remark... if you talk about Jira here... be clear about what Jira you mean... the SL one OR the Firestorm one... these are not the same.

Firestorm is apart from SL, LL doesn't give support on it.

Originally this forum section was for the one and only official viewer.. by Linden Lab. Third party viewers were expected to have their own webpage and forum/support. ( and firestorm has a excellent support group and team!)

• Like 1

3 hours ago, arabellajones said:

JIRA is essentially a time management tool for a programming team. Why it gets used as it is around SL, I have no idea. As a bug-reporting tool, there end up being huge numbers of duplicate entries, and there's no way of merging the entries. I once worked through a chain of four entries before getting to the one being used for active progress reporting. It sort of works, if the people in control do their job, but it doesn't work well.

JIRA is the best bug tracking software there is in my opinion. It's extremely powerful and also very expensive, unless you happen to qualify for a free license.  Luckily TPVs do qualify for a free JIRA license because they are open source projects and not for profit.  I dread to think how much LL has to pay for their JIRA license because the cost is dependent on how many accounts are registered to use the JIRA.
If Firestorm had to pay for a JIRA license it would cost us over $36,000 ( we have just over 31,000 user accounts & more are created daily).

Duplicate JIRA issues should be linked as a duplicate issue and closed as such. There should be a JIRA link to the original issue that should be used for active progress reporting. The LL JIRA & the Firestorm JIRA are both pretty well organized imo & duplicate issues should be closed down as a dupe within a day at most.

LL triage new bugs in the BUG project on their JIRA every day Monday to Friday & their are Residents who also help to triage bug reports on the LL JIRA.  Anyone can help with this.
Feature requests are triaged once a week.

3 hours ago, arabellajones said:

What Amon reports looks like the people in control not doing their job.

Well we'll never know if Amon does not come back & report which JIRA issues he was complaining about.

On 6/27/2017 at 7:21 AM, Whirly Fizzle said:

JIRA is the best bug tracking software there is in my opinion. It's extremely powerful and also very expensive, unless you happen to qualify for a free license. 

If JIRA is the best I'd hate to see the worst. It was obviously written by software engineers for software engineers with a UI only a software engineer could love. I despise reporting bugs on it and have only done so a few times. It's flat out not designed well for non-tech savy people to use.

2 hours ago, Crim Mip said:

If JIRA is the best I'd hate to see the worst. It was obviously written by software engineers for software engineers with a UI only a software engineer could love. I despise reporting bugs on it and have only done so a few times. It's flat out not designed well for non-tech savy people to use.

A certain 3d app had a bug report database they created in house, makes jira look positively user friendly.

Things were not helped by the appointment of a bug report triage officer who knew absolutely nothing about a) software development or b) 3d modeling/rendering or c) managing bug report databases.

If HE couldn't understand your bug report, he'd file it as 'feature request - assign to dev team dustbin', and if somebody had posted a similar sounding bug, marginally before you with NO diagnostic info, your bug WITH diagnostic info, would be classified 'closed duplicate' with a 1 way link to the useless report.

This meant the dev team members only got to see the FIRST report of a problem, and often the one that was least useful, with no way to pull up other reports.

One bug I reported with details of when it started, which build it had been introduced in, what it was, how to replicate it, got marked closed duplicate' and the 'original' report was filed 'feature request - ignore'. Took us 3 months to officially get it classified as a serious bug, and assigned to a coder for urgent fixing,

To do that, we basically had to start a war with the triage officer on the forum until one of his superiors noticed and took charge, which included me stating that said triage officer was "...a waste of skin, who should be dragged from the office, tied naked to a streetlight, and publicly flogged with razor wire as an example to the others...".

When the software came out of open beta, the triage officer marked some 15,000 unresolved bug reports as "closed - fixed in v 1.0", and of course, since they hadn't been fixed, most got re-reported, and immediately classed as... 'closed duplicate'. Many of those bugs were still present 4 years later, some are still there now, more than 10 years later.

Jira is a GOOD system.

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2561 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.