Account deleted

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1591 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

13 minutes ago, Everylace said:

Hello, I wanted to know how do you find out if someone deleted there account? 

not that easy... accounts never got deleted totally. Delete is not much more than the user can't log in anymore, the account will stay where it is.

The name can be found in groups/friendlists/search for pretty long time after deleting.. or if just not logging in, it will be here till LL pulls the plug out of sl.

Thankyou for that, 

I  have a friend she has not logged on for months so I did a search for her and in firestorm everything search there is nothing, now if I search people I get a picture of her profile, not a link like you would get in everything search? 

It's very difficult to know if an account has been cancelled since, as Alwin suggests, when an account is cancelled, it vanishes inconsistently from different record sets.

The rule of thumb I use is that, if you try to ban an avatar by name from a parcel or region and the name doesn't show up in the list, then the account has definitely gone.   Otherwise you can't really be sure what's happening.

1 hour ago, Everylace said:

Hello, I wanted to know how do you find out if someone deleted there account? 

If you can find some item they own or made, you can check the profile of the owner or creator. If the profile is completely blank, they've left.

You can tell pretty easily if an account is in an inactive state, but you can't tell if the account is in that state because it was deleted by the account owner or on hold/delinquent (due to owing money to LL or being investigated for some reason) or suspended or banned by LL.

Inactive accounts will not be found in search, will not show in the group members list of groups they are still a member of and if you visit their web profile at my.secondlife.com (https://my.secondlife.com/firstname.lastname for accounts with a surname, https://my.secondlife.com/firstname for accounts with a single name) then the page will show "This name is unavailable").
Note that if you'd previously loaded their web profile, it may display normally until you open the groups tab, then the web page will spit an error & refreshing the page will then show "This name is unavailable".

• Like 4

48 minutes ago, Everylace said:

Thank you for all the replies. 

Whirly thank you I did do search in single name and it did come up, so now I am even more confused why it won't come up in everything search

The people search in Firestorm uses an old search function that is not really supported anymore but it does show all registered accounts, including cancelled ones.

21 minutes ago, ChinRey said:

The people search in Firestorm uses an old search function that is not really supported anymore but it does show all registered accounts, including cancelled ones.

Hmm it shouldn't do. Legacy people search shouldn't show inactive/disabled accounts.
The avatar picker when you use share from inventory or report abuse should show all accounts though, both active and inactive.

2 minutes ago, Whirly Fizzle said:

Hmm it shouldn't do. Legacy people search shouldn't show inactive/disabled accounts.

It shouldn't?

I tested two account names that don't show up in web search. Strangely, one of them shows up in legacy search, the other doesn't.

20 hours ago, Innula Zenovka said:

if you try to ban an avatar by name from a parcel or region and the name doesn't show up in the list, then the account has definitely gone.   Otherwise you can't really be sure what's happening.

I have multiple accounts I've closed, the longest closed one was a bit over 10 years ago, and I tried adding them to the ban list on my sim and they all still show up, also, none have left my friends list and one is still showing up in the partner box of an old friend that left SL a few years ago.  No one ever truly is gone.

I just checked on a friend's account that I know was confiscated because she let her payment method for Premium lapse - I know her in RL and mentioned the card had expired and she never updated it.  She does not show via inworld search - either Web Everything or the legacy People search.  If I go to her page, as mentioned by Whirly above, I do get the "This name is unavailable"  message.  She is still in my friend's list and I do see a valid profile when I view it from there - ditto if I view the profile by editing one of her objects and clicking her name there.  However, she is no longer showing in any of the groups that I had in common with her.

I have two friends that were perma banned..

one back around 2008 and the other in 2009.. Both show up in Firestorm in world people search.

I noticed the one in 2009,her profile is completely cleaned..no pictures or profile pic or anything..I remember at first I could see all her stuff on there for years..

The other in 2008 only shows her profile pic and all her other pages of her profile are cleaned..

It still shows all her stuff on the front profile page..Groups and her About info..

The only way I know they were banned is because they made alts and told me themselves..

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1591 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.