Hacked and Banned in Many Destinations at the Same Time

Aislen Atheria

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2506 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

I was in one of the Destinations a main destination and I walked up to someone dancing and said "Hi" she said "Hi" back and instantly they gross picture started bouncing around and then you saw it everywhere. It says I was banned from the parcel. I went somewhere and everyone saw what was going on and they told me I had been hacked or someone gave me something. I had to get completely naked and then it stopped and they said I didn't have to throw the clothes out just put them back on. But I was banned from one place and the other says there is no parcel there anymore when it is the main destination so I know there is. 

One of the woman helping me said she has had it happen to her a few times because she has a black avatar I guess they even told her so and guess what. So do I. So apparently there is racism /there no surprise, but how do you fix the fax notice that there isn't a parcel and the banned from the public destination? Do the hackers win?

6 answers to this question

2 hours ago, MissAislen said:

Do the hackers win?

where you got the idea you got hacked?... Because you are not.

You can be phished... but also not in your case.. it's impossible to be online on your account yourself and encounter these two things.

So something else must be going on, it's most likeley something you got and wear that causes it. If it is annoying you indeed can get banned for that,  and it's why that other one told you should strip yourself and check where it is... but NOT in a public place of course... going naked...thát will get you banned at a lot of places.

If you have questions like this, be as objectiive as possible.. hackers, phishing, racism... yes it is on SL... but think your thoughts went on a run with you.

Edited by Alwin Alcott
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, MissAislen said:

I went somewhere and everyone saw what was going on and they told me I had been hacked or someone gave me something.

As Alwin said, "hacked" means somebody else has managed to get your password and has access to your account. Fortunately that's not what happened here.

There are two ways griefers can do something similar to what happened to you. The most common was is the one Alwin mentioned and gave the solution to: they trick their victim to wear some item with an unpleasant script.

The other way is to rez a follower. A follower is an object that isn't attached to you but - as the name says - programmed to follow you everywhere you go. There are several ways to get rid of followers but the easiest one is usually to teleport to another sim.

9 hours ago, MissAislen said:

One of the woman helping me said she has had it happen to her a few times because she has a black avatar I guess they even told her so and guess what. So do I. So apparently there is racism /there no surprise,

There actually was one griefer group that specificlly targetted non-European avatars - I'm not sure if they are active anymore. But most griefers don't discrimintae, they harass everybody they see on equal terms.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, MissAislen said:

Ihow do you fix the fax notice that there isn't a parcel and the banned from the public destination? Do the hackers win?

You can't do anything about it.  Even though a place is listed in Destinations, they are not truly "public" - meaning someone (not Linden Lab) owns the land and they can ban anyone they want, anytime they want, for any reason or no reason at all. 

All you can do is move on - find another place to visit.

No there is something you can do, there are no guarantees, but as LittleMe said there is someone who owns the land. You need to find out who they are,then write a very nice note card explaining the situation, and asking them very nicely to let you back on their land. They do not have to, but if you are nice they may. I have been banned several times, for things I did, though not always things I knew I shouldn't do. Like go to one sim when you are a member of another, and I have been able several times to get myself unbanned. If they don't let you back, well their loss there are lots of sims and some other one is going to be graced by your presence.

I agree with Miss and Alwin. It is unlikely you were hacked. Miss alludes to the fact that an avatar cannot logon twice… there can’t be two copies of the same avatar logged in. If you are logged in and start a second viewer and login as the same avatar, it either fails or the first avatar gets bumped off. I’ve had it go both ways.

That you could strip and stop the problem likely means something got attached. That only happens if you allow/do it or have an Experience or RLV enabled. So, you weren’t hacked. You were griefed or as suggested phished.

You are new. So, you look to many as a possible griefer. Griefers burn through a lot of accounts and are usually driving a new avatar. Banning you was likely a mistake on the Estate Manager’s part. They saw a problem related to your avatar and a new avatar, it is reasonable to conclude you were the problem.

Examine the things you were wearing. There may be an item that is the particle generator. If you wore it, that means you are the owner. So, it would make you look like the griefer. It may be named anything. A griefer would name it something to trick you into wearing it.

It would be a good idea to go to a sandbox and try wearing the items one at a time until you find it.\

Racism… there are racist people in SL. There is no more to be done about those in SL than those in RL. However, any racist hate speech or behavior is grounds for banning. So, if it happens file an Abuse Report.

I’m dark skinned and I don’t have that much trouble. Almost none…

You haven’t told us enough about ‘no parcel’ and how you know it is the main landing point.

The hacker/griefer wins if you let them. You aren’t going to get unbanned. But, a reasonably busy place has a rolling ban list. There is a limit on how many can be in the ban list, 500 I think. Old ones drop out or get purged. Eventually you’ll age out of the ban list. It can take a month to a year depending on how busy the place is.

Talligirl made a good suggestion. But, I haven’t had any luck with that approach.

On 7.6.2017 at 7:38 AM, MissAislen said:

but how do you fix the fax notice that there isn't a parcel

If you got a message that the parcel disn't exist, it was probably because the parcel didn't exist and that has nothing to do with what happened to you. Sims are temporarily taken down and restarted every now and then and if you only tried to get there ocne, that was probably what happened. If you tried several times and got the same message, the sim has clsoed down. It may still be listed in the destination guide for years, the destination guide isn't very well updated and it's full of places that closed down long ago - adn places so outdated nobody goes there anymore.

On 7.6.2017 at 7:38 AM, MissAislen said:

and instantly they gross picture started bouncing around and then you saw it everywhere. It says I was banned from the parcel.

and the banned from the public destination? Do the hackers win?

I'm a bit confused there, did you actually get banned from the places or was it just those particles (that's what those bouncing pictures are named btw) say you were banned? If you are banned from a place, you are thrown out from it immediately and won't be able to return.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2506 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.