About Graphic card and viewer

Memo Opaque

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2512 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hello guys, i have a vaio laptop with GT 740M graphic card. When i drag my graphic settings to ultra at Firestorm, it gets blury. Does that mean my graphic card doesn't support ultra settings or are there some graphic card settings on laptop i can change in order to enable ultra settings ? 

3 hours ago, Memo Opaque said:

Hello guys, i have a vaio laptop with GT 740M graphic card. When i drag my graphic settings to ultra at Firestorm, it gets blury. Does that mean my graphic card doesn't support ultra settings or are there some graphic card settings on laptop i can change in order to enable ultra settings ? 

if you want to enjoy your machine a bit longer keep that setting at mid.

12 hours ago, Memo Opaque said:

Using the "One Graphics Slider to rulew them all" option when dragged to ultra enables a whole bunch of settings that a) you might not want, b) ain't worth having, or c) are set to excessive levels.

The worst offender is... Depth of Field Blur, which makes everything behind what the computer THINKS you are looking at, blurry, and more blurry the further away it is. Since the computer has no actual way to accurately tell which part of the screen you're looking at, this so called "Add photo realism" tickbox is in fact a complete waste of space, untick it for a better SL.

1 hour ago, Klytyna said:

Using the "One Graphics Slider to rulew them all" option when dragged to ultra enables a whole bunch of settings that a) you might not want, b) ain't worth having, or c) are set to excessive levels.

The worst offender is... Depth of Field Blur, which makes everything behind what the computer THINKS you are looking at, blurry, and more blurry the further away it is. Since the computer has no actual way to accurately tell which part of the screen you're looking at, this so called "Add photo realism" tickbox is in fact a complete waste of space, untick it for a better SL.

Unless, of course, you alt-click on something, which sets the focus point.

• Like 1

@Whirly FizzleIt is unchecked already. When i check, it gets extra blury. 

2 hours ago, Klytyna said:

This is how my avatar looks like at Ultra    https://prnt.sc/fh29v5

And these are my graphic settings;

https://prnt.sc/fh2eht https://prnt.sc/fh2euc https://prnt.sc/fh2fcl https://prnt.sc/fh2fma

• Like 1

Thanks.
I can't really see the problem in the avatar image.
Can you post 2 images, one showing the problem at Ultra & one not showing the problem?
Does the avatar look blurry to you as soon as ALM is enabled?

Your settings look fine to me...

Edited by Whirly Fizzle

21 minutes ago, Whirly Fizzle said:

Thanks.
I can't really see the problem in the avatar image.
Can you post 2 images, one showing the problem at Ultra & one not showing the problem?
Does the avatar look blurry to you as soon as ALM is enabled?

Your settings look fine to me...

This was taken at High https://prnt.sc/fh35jo

and this was taken at Ultra https://prnt.sc/fh35t6

It is not a huge blury but still it is a blury while it is supposed to be more quality and clear.......and yes still blury when ALM is disabled. 

Edited by Memo Opaque

From what I see in your 2 recent pics that's how mine looks also on Ultra because of the ALM

It does make things look a bit less sharp and crisp.  Takes some getting use to. Even though I can run on Utlra easy I prefer not to have the ALM enabled unless I take pics and change the windlight settings,..etc

Thanks @Memo Opaque

I agree with @Zsigmond Alcott
Your images look totally normal.
The problem is with the anti-aliasing I think.
When ALM is enabled the world view always looks a bit less crisp - but if you have ALM enabled all the time, you do get used to  the way it looks.
In deferred rendering (when ALM is enabled), the viewer uses s different type of anti-aliasing - it's fixed & totally ignores the setting you have in the viewer (2x, 4x etc). This is done for performance reasons.
Once you enable ALM during a session, if you then disable ALM, anti-aliasing will be broken until you relog with ALM disable (an ancient old bug).

If you need your avatar/scene to look more crisp with ALM enabled for photographs, the trick I use is to enable Depth Of Field & set a very small negative value for CoC (circle of confusion).
World -> Photo & Video -> Phototools -> DOF/Glow -> tick "Enable depth of field (DOF).
Set CoC to -1 or -2.  This will actually sharpen the scene slightly.

For example:

DOF disabled, ALM enabled.

e4b75c9909f945cb920b6e3a17d3051b.png

DOF enabled,, ALM enabled, CoC set to -2 - you can see you get a nice subtle sharpen of the scene

4eff0fe457684cc2af23c077d57b7063.png

Be aware that having DOF enable incurs a performance impact and that setting CoC to a negative number incurs a further performance impact.

Setting CoC to a very large negative setting will produce some cool funky effects but it will crucify viewer performance - fun to play with for snapshots though.

Example - CoC set at -25 - who needs LSD?  lol

90bf1a3562cc4e2f9de736bed1ff6392.png

Edited by Whirly Fizzle
Fixed missing image
  • Like 2

Well i don't think i can get used to it, because i feel like it is getting my eyes tired lol. But that is ok. i have just noticed the pictures i take by Firestorm at ultra, are clear. i think it will do its job. Because i mostly use mid or high not to lag. Thank you for your answers :)

Edited by Memo Opaque
  • Like 1

On 7.6.2017 at 11:17 AM, Memo Opaque said:

@Alwin Alcott I mostly use it at mid, but ultra would be nice to take pictures sometimes.

Any graphics card should handle ultra for quick photo shots. What damages the gpu is heat buiding up and there won't be much of that in the short time it takes to snap a picture. But it may be a good idea to stay on mid while you stage the scene and only switch to ultra when you take the picture.

On 07 June 2017 at 4:37 PM, Theresa Tennyson said:

Unless, of course, you alt-click on something, which sets the focus point.

That tells the viewer where the CAMERA focus is, but does not tell the viewer what part of the screen you  are aiming your Mk1 Human Eyeball at, so while your camera focus may be on a certain point, your actual eyes might belooking somewhere else entirely, hence why 'depth of field' is as pointless as your reply.

Learn to read whole sentences, I clearly said...

On 07 June 2017 at 3:30 PM, Klytyna said:

Since the computer has no actual way to accurately tell which part of the screen you're looking at

Edited by Klytyna

39 minutes ago, Klytyna said:

That tells the viewer where the CAMERA focus is, but does not tell the viewer what part of the screen you  are aiming your Mk1 Human Eyeball at, so while your camera focus may be on a certain point, your actual eyes might belooking somewhere else entirely, hence why 'depth of field' is as pointless as your reply.

Learn to read whole sentences, I clearly said...

So, what you're saying is that focusing a camera is pointless, because the photographer has no way of knowing what part of the photo the viewer will be looking at?

Edited by Theresa Tennyson

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2512 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.