Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Ann Otoole

whats this for?

Recommended Posts

I think it's a forum to discuss SL's various methods of Adult and Account verification. Identity verification through Aristotle, and Account verification via establishing a payment relationship. (Payment info used).

I can't imagine why LL would feel the need to create a forum on their Second Life Service support forum, for discussing people's love lives and sexualities, which would clearly be inappropriate for the forum's "G" rating, not to mention pretty severly off-topic for the support forums of an MMO/Virtual World. Why encourage people to post topics that only invite moderation?

What need does this forum fill? What G-Rated subjects would be "On Topic" for this forum, that are "Off Topic" anyplace else?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Unhappy is the man who has no wife

Unhappy is he who has one.

He who has one wants none,

He who has none wants one.

Happy is the woman who has a good husband,

Still happier is she who has none.

 

~Translation of one of the Songs of the Auvergne, by Cantaloube

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Then they should create a forum called "Adults Only" and limit it to an R rating.  (No graphic images of plunging or graphic descriptions of same).  Simple as that.  "Identity and Relationships" sounds like a forum created to discuss Genderbending.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 


Ann Otoole wrote:

What's this forum for?

As in what is meant by identity?

Relationships? What kind? Business?

It's a place where you can finally come clean about your Secret Agent identity Ann!    :  )

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 


ChuckBaggett wrote:

plunger-01.jpg

What's wrong with pictures of plunging?

That is SO obviously SEXIST as it depicts a man using the plunger. What's wrong with it being a woman .. eh?? (And I know it's a man because there's no fake nails, no nail polish and no bracelet around the wrist. Everyone clearly knows that a proper woman would ALWAYS wear those for a picture! *harumph*)

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 


Shockwave Yareach wrote:

Then they should create a forum called "Adults Only" and limit it to an R rating.  (No graphic images of plunging or graphic descriptions of same).  Simple as that.  "Identity and Relationships" sounds like a forum created to discuss Genderbending.

I'm actually pretty pissed that all of us residents had the chance at a hidden, age-verified forum to discuss a little more mature matters far from the eyes of minors.. and then some loud-spoken people decided to take the whole forums unified,  years-old request for that very thing, make it all about "themselves" only, and push it through as a LBGwhatever forum. Now, thanks to all the whining and the "zomg I'm so offended" attitudes, there'll be no age-verified PG+ area for everyone like the original request, but we have a shiny new G-rated Identity forum that's no flippin different or useful than the rest of this G-rated place. To them I say way to keep the big picture in mind people.. thanks.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Dana,

Amanda made it quite clear that even if they made a "membership only, adult verified, hand vetted, super secret gotta know someone to get in" forum .. it would still be G-rated. That is the hard and fast rule they are sticking with, no matter what we may say or demand.

Personally, I think that "hard line" is way too hard and way short-sighted .. but it wasn't a special interest group that ruined it .. it was LL's position from the start and they have never wavered a bit on it either.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There was little interest for making a non-PG, private, age-verified subforum for adults.  Since they do not have age-verification linked to the forum nor plans to link it, someone would have to manage the myriad requests to join the subforum and LL choose to deploy their resources elsewhere.

This is a test environment.  We will find out how far we can stretch the boundaries.  I think 16-17 year olds are much more capable of managing mature information than we give them credit for.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 


Darrius Gothly wrote:

Dana,

Amanda made it quite clear that even if they made a "membership only, adult verified, hand vetted, super secret gotta know someone to get in" forum .. it would still be G-rated. That is the hard and fast rule they are sticking with, no matter what we may say or demand.

Personally, I think that "hard line" is way too hard and way short-sighted .. but it wasn't a special interest group that ruined it .. it was LL's position from the start and they have never wavered a bit on it either.

 

It's not the rating of said forum that mattered that much, but the fact that it indeed was intended, as Amanda first laid it out, to be a hidden, age verified forum. Then the butthurt sensibilities chimed in with "why is it hidden?", followed shortly after by "zomg lgbt is age verified, I'm soo insulted!". You were there, and you know what I say isn't made up. The whining and nitpicking is exactly what fostered the change from it's original intention to what it is now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 


Venus Petrov wrote:

There was little interest for making a non-PG, private, age-verified subforum for adults.  Since they do not have age-verification linked to the forum nor plans to link it, someone would have to manage the myriad requests to join the subforum and LL choose to deploy their resources elsewhere.

This is a test environment.  We will find out how far we can stretch the boundaries.  I think 16-17 year olds are much more capable of managing mature information than we give them credit for.

 

Yes, and they were willing to put that manpower to age-verify all those who were to enter the proposed lgbt forum. You yourself said  "same would be the case for a private adult forum", but the error is in the language. It's no secret they want to keep things G rated here, which is why using the word "adult" sends exactly the wrong message. Nobody ever intended to have some wild and harsh deviant playground forum, it was supposed to be a place where sensitive and personal subjects can be discussed in earnest, and without the liability of it being visible to anyone and their dog, or employer. What was to be would have done nicely for everyone, then the nitpicking screwed that up. Fact is fact.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 


Dana Hickman wrote:

 

Darrius Gothly wrote:

Dana,

Amanda made it quite clear that even if they made a "membership only, adult verified, hand vetted, super secret gotta know someone to get in" forum .. it would still be G-rated. That is the hard and fast rule they are sticking with, no matter what we may say or demand.

Personally, I think that "hard line" is way too hard and way short-sighted .. but it wasn't a special interest group that ruined it .. it was LL's position from the start and they have never wavered a bit on it either.

 

It's not the rating of said forum that mattered that much, but the fact that it indeed was intended, as Amanda first laid it out, to be a hidden, age verified forum. Then the butthurt sensibilities chimed in with "why is it hidden?", followed shortly after by "zomg lgbt is age verified, I'm soo insulted!". You were there, and you know what I say isn't made up. The whining and nitpicking is exactly what fostered the change from it's original intention to what it is now.

 

Yup, I was there .. but I don't remember hearing a lot of whinging from anyone. I'm not saying you're wrong .. it's quite possible my "Parental Filter" kicked in and I just skipped over those statements with a high ZOMG to WTF ratio. What I did hear was people confused by LL's (not Amanda's but LL's) refusal to "hit the mark."

Venus (and a few others) had requested an Adult Topics board, LL responded with a Private forum for Adult Merchants and Land Owners. Venus again requested a board where we could discuss Adult Topics, and it was postponed a week. This past meeting, Amanda announced the decision of "The Machine" as a result of her feedback .. and that was in the form of a hidden and membership only LGBTI themed forum board.

That's about the point the fit hit the shan. Venus and others had been very clear, both in intent and purpose .. and never once did she or anyone supporting her request ask for a forum targeted toward a single group. In the meeting where the topic got shelved for a week, I heard both Amanda and Lexie "get it" .. quite clearly. So once again the intent of the (rather popular) request got converted into something other than what was requested. Umm .. HUH?

And THEN .. miracle of miracles .. after that stit shorm of disbelief and frustration .. we have this new Forum .. and it seems to be as close to what was originally requested as is possible. The language has to stay PG, it is a lightning rod and gathering place for the adult and non-sexual topics Venus first championed, and it was seeded with exactly the type of threads that really didn't fit anywhere else but do fit here.

Considering that Amanda and Lexie both heard the requests voiced both in the forums and CTUG meetings clearly, and based on management's previous response of "don't give them what they want, just give them something else and make them shut up" .. the fact that this forum now exists makes me VERY concerned that it's an initiative pulled off by (most likely) Lexie (with Amanda's wink-wink approval) and without management's approval or direction.

And THAT worries me more than anything else.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

[That is SO obviously SEXIST as it depicts a man using the plunger.]

Nope. That is one super-hot super-butch chick.

Why do they always have to be dykes?

Bummer.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


Darrius Gothly wrote:

 

ChuckBaggett wrote:

plunger-01.jpg

What's wrong with pictures of plunging?

That is SO obviously SEXIST as it depicts a man using the plunger. What's wrong with it being a woman .. eh?? (And I know it's a man because there's no fake nails, no nail polish and no bracelet around the wrist. Everyone clearly knows that a proper woman would ALWAYS wear those for a picture! *harumph*)

 

Those are clearly the strong arms of Rosie the Riveter :) I'd recognize them anywhere. The complete image looks like this:

Rosie the plunger.jpg

Wasn't there a thread about her in the old forums? If I remember correctly, she was a hero of the female people for having modeled for a propaganda poster.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

when it's a man's hands, it's sexist because it shows men as able and empowered

when it's a woman's hands, it's sexist because it shows women as being in positions of domestic servitude to men

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


Josh Susanto wrote:

when it's a man's hands, it's sexist because it shows men as able and empowered

when it's a woman's hands, it's sexist because it shows women as being in positions of domestic servitude to men

 

Really? I've always pictured Rosie the Plunger as a strong independent woman :) She probably opens her own pickle jars and kills spiders.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 


Josh Susanto wrote:

Killing spiders is bad luck, but watching an ovulating woman open a pickle jar is a seriously hot two-fer.

 

Nothing gives me chills the way the sound of a woman ovulating does as we copulate.  If only coitus interuptis was fool proof.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 


Josh Susanto wrote:

[Nothing gives me chills the way the sound of a woman ovulating does as we copulate.]

While she's plunging?

She bends over with the down stroke.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...