What are you doing today!? :D

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 197 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Working on a script for a new AO system:

d272c981dfa09ca99f0f881c11207372.png

At the moment my code is full of uneeded stuff that is there for testing reasons... BUT...

...the idea is a super low impact script for AO handling using the "new" method from 2013 that was never used by ZHAO... but which also allows for multiple animations in all states, not just random stands but also for walks, sits, fly, turns, etc... like Firestorm does... and ALSO works as a dance HUD without being laggy...

Once done... I'll put it out there for the public with the hope of encouraging animation makers to STOP USING the outdated ZHAO system...

Other folks have already made updates that completely make laggy-ZHAO pointless though... and even put them out free and full perms... so I'm not expecting much... but at least people will be able to grab it themselves and put their animations into it...

My primary reason for doing this is that I want to switch viewers... and that means that if I leave Firestorm I need to use an AO again, so I need one that meets my extremely picky standards... Niran of the Dragon viewer has one that is close, but my desire to have 10-30 animations in every category that randomly cycle and to not need a dance HUD have me making my own instead.

So every few days I sit down with this script and add in another element. Next up; my notecard reading solution.

Edited by Pussycat Catnap
  • Like 5

3 hours ago, Pussycat Catnap said:

At the moment my code is full of uneeded stuff that is there for testing reasons... BUT...

...the idea is a super low impact script for AO handling using the "new" method from 2013 that was never used by ZHAO... but which also allows for multiple animations in all states, not just random stands but also for walks, sits, fly, turns, etc... like Firestorm does... and ALSO works as a dance HUD without being laggy...

Once done... I'll put it out there for the public with the hope of encouraging animation makers to STOP USING the outdated ZHAO system...

Other folks have already made updates that completely make laggy-ZHAO pointless though... and even put them out free and full perms... so I'm not expecting much... but at least people will be able to grab it themselves and put their animations into it...

My primary reason for doing this is that I want to switch viewers... and that means that if I leave Firestorm I need to use an AO again, so I need one that meets my extremely picky standards... Niran of the Dragon viewer has one that is close, but my desire to have 10-30 animations in every category that randomly cycle and to not need a dance HUD have me making my own instead.

So every few days I sit down with this script and add in another element. Next up; my notecard reading solution.

I was going to greatly improve the feature set of my AO at some point, sitting down and investigating how i can make a super low memory, low script time AO with all the fancy features and include a UI to set up a configuration for you to just copy/paste into a notecard. Right now my main goal was keeping the AO in a single script but as far as i can tell its nigh impossible to keep it single script if i want all the fancies. It will be a tough challenge.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, NiranV Dean said:

Right now my main goal was keeping the AO in a single script but as far as i can tell its nigh impossible to keep it single script if i want all the fancies. It will be a tough challenge.

I've been thinking about that same point actually. Trying to decide how many features I want before I break out to a second script.

That said... a lot of my goal is just to write the thing, as I've wanted to make one for years.

One of the main reasons I went to Firestorm years ago was that the AO I was using was going between 3-5mb's of size, and had this whole complex thing to save your animations on a website... which often didn't work... and at the time I didn't realize that these things have very few reasons to go beyond 64kbs... Firestorm had that built in AO... which sounded very good... and it's only recently in seeing your posts that I've been realizing it's anything but...

... and that's revived my desire to do the project I was planning right before I jumped to Firestorm... to make an AO, one that is 100% tailored to the things I want in there... and not bloated like the one I was on some years back... and then... get myself off a bloated viewer... :P

I see the logical 'break points' for using more than one script as each step in:

• add typing
  • add swimming
  • add dancing
  • add the ability to let others dance
  • couples animations
  • multiple states can cycle animations, random or picked
  • replace the entire list of animations in a given state with a different list (ie: these are my stands for my avatar, these are the stands I want to load when I wear my furry look).
  • other things I've not yet thought of...

- a few of these features, and one script is OK... the more of them you go for... the more 'hacks' you need to make it work in one script. Most of the above are NOT on my list of things I'm planning to do... but they float around in my head when thinking about this.

• Like 2

Visiting the Bellisseria Demo areas at the Home & Garden Expo.   I haven't gotten too far yet, but the homes, houseboats and trailers that I've seen so far have been very nicely decorated.  I've already picked up a few ideas, especially for home styles that I hadn't tried out before, because I hadn't been sure what to do with them.  If you go, be sure to click on the sign in front of each parcel to get the decorator's style card for all the furnishing info.  

1013307787_20200215HGBellisseriaDemo_001.thumb.png.1d57a4ebb5738511329111be862372dd.png

• Like 4

Just sitting around the house and mastur... I mean ... mastering this new body.  Yeah.  That's what I was going to say.

Actually ...
I want to play with Maitreya's save stick but keep putting it off.  Talking on the forums.  Chatting in groups.  Posing for a selfie ..

20200217_002.thumb.jpg.20d9cc80e7bbc6b87be070a61ec9374d.jpg

... and in general just procrastinating. 

• Like 7

I require 3 coffees for the brain to wake.

I am making stuff still, every day.  Yesterday I finished part of what I was doing so I can test my doer stuff.

Now  today I can get back to testing things \o/

I got my coffee *blinks*

Here I go, wish me cluck \o/

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Gregorian Chant said:

Shopping for a new sofa.  It looks like the average avatar height has shrunk in recent years because I'm having increasing difficulty finding new furniture to suit taller avatars.  My feet goes through the floor every time.

tallpeopleproblems_001.thumb.png.266b513fa637576bb96114fd6b70dca9.png

Just make sure the furniture is Modifiable and you can make it larger.  I almost always have to make things smaller, so I don't even look at no-mod furniture any more.

• Thanks 1

Today I am back to working on my new AO system.

AO_Inwork_001

Getting there. I now have it processing notecards that were made in the ZHAO format (what most of AOs use). But it will also read them in some other formats,

such as a more logical:

Standing=this|that|something

It's spamming the heck out of my chat because I'm still working on it... so I have it telling me every last thing it does to look for issues and places to improve...

At this point I have captured almost all of the features that the Firestorm system has, but with less issues... and my next steps are going to be:

• letting the stand be swapped with other sets for dancing.
  • Adding chat based rather than touch based controls so the HUD can be kept offscreen.
  • Finding a low lag system for doing typing / swimming that doesn't have the risk of breaking (getting stuck on the wrong animation) when you move in/out of water rapidly like old SWIM HUDs and Firestorm do...

Spent much of the day figuring out how to have some 50+ different stand animations loaded without getting a script error (LSL loves to give a 'stack heap' error whenever you put too many things into a box meant to hold too many things... :P). Finally got somewhere... Now I'm loading this thing up with a few hundred animations, what I have in my Firestorm AO, and seeing if I've "contained the beast" well enough...

Also learned that both ZHAO and Firestorm just randomly make up names for different types of animations that are NOT what those types actually are in Second Life... so had to translate that...

Did you know there actually is no "Flying Up" animation status in SL? It's supposed to be called "Hovering Up". There's also no "Sitting On Ground"... it's supposed to be called "Sitting on Ground" - and that matters where it wouldn't if I wad working with javaScript...

Edited by Pussycat Catnap
  • Like 4

simcrossingbridge02.thumb.jpg.51dfa572dfc3ec6ddb47a72f55894595.jpg

Watching my NPC do all the work.

The bridge crosses a sim boundary. This NPC goes back and forth across the bridge about once a minute. My NPCs can cross sims, but about every 8 to 12 hours, something goes wrong. There's an oversized move that takes them off-world, and the NPC is returned to Lost & Found. It's as if the move was applied relative to the wrong sim, because the sim crossing and the move overlapped in time. Normally, the NPCs send me an IM with debug info when something goes badly wrong, but when they go off-world and return to inventory, I don't get a report. So I have debug logging turned on, lots of owner-only messages in local chat, and sit nearby waiting for something to break.

• Like 5

On 2/14/2020 at 7:56 PM, Pussycat Catnap said:

Would it be possible to override animation priority? Sometimes I would love to override my seating animation priority, because in a lot of places my avatar ends up inside the seat because the animation priority clashes with the seat's animation priority.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 197 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.