What are you doing today!? :D

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 224 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

1 hour ago, Drakonadrgora Darkfold said:

Yep that is MO for you, and the funny thing is that might be all gone in just a couple days. The weather here has its own mind and does what it wants when it wants. More so than other places it seems. Sunny one moment, snowing the next, back to sunny later that same day and clear.

Wow, that is sure not the MO I remember from my childhood.  Back then, if it snowed, the crud hung around for weeks or months, just looking dirtier and uglier each day.  The roads would get cleared, but not the crud that built up on the side of the road.  Once winter settled in, it seldom got very warm or sunny for weeks on end.  Those memories are 30 years old, so it is very likely that the weather norms have changed over the years.

8 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

Wow, that is sure not the MO I remember from my childhood.  Back then, if it snowed, the crud hung around for weeks or months, just looking dirtier and uglier each day.  The roads would get cleared, but not the crud that built up on the side of the road.  Once winter settled in, it seldom got very warm or sunny for weeks on end.  Those memories are 30 years old, so it is very likely that the weather norms have changed over the years.

It sort of depends where you are at in MO now. Some areas still do that. it's snowing right now where I am and by next week it's supposed to be back in the 40-50's for the week. So anything on the ground will pretty much be gone by then.

Meanwhile, to the north, there's not a flake of snow to be seen on the ground -- new or old and crusty.  This is turning out to be yet another dry, brown winter.  We get all the benefits of cold air -- no nasty crawling or flying insects left over from summer, clear skies, occasional northern lights -- but this is one heck of a way to run a winter.  The farmers must be livid.  The topsoil blows around now, and there won't be enough water in what's left when spring planting comes around.  We could use some snow, please.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Rolig Loon said:

Meanwhile, to the north, there's not a flake of snow to be seen on the ground -- new or old and crusty.  This is turning out to be yet another dry, brown winter.  We get all the benefits of cold air -- no nasty crawling or flying insects left over from summer, clear skies, occasional northern lights -- but this is one heck of a way to run a winter.  The farmers must be livid.  The topsoil blows around now, and there won't be enough water in what's left when spring planting comes around.  We could use some snow, please.

It's the same here. We're getting plenty of precipitation, but as rain. Since the ground is frozen, the water is running off and won't be available for spring crops. I'd worry about a dry spring, but we've been getting above average precipitation lately. I've never seen my yard so wet, and that's been for all of the last year. Lake Michigan is more than four feet higher than it was six years ago and most of my beach is gone, though it's not as bad as when I was a teen. I'd love some snow to slow the penetration of frost into my new plantings. I'm expecting to lose a lot of the shrubs I had planted this past summer to a combination of freeze and root rot.

I talked to the tree guys who're pruning in advance of utility upgrades in the area. This is the worst year they can remember for tree death, even ignoring the massive ash die off due to the emerald ash borer.

47 minutes ago, Drakonadrgora Darkfold said:

It sort of depends where you are at in MO now. Some areas still do that. it's snowing right now where I am and by next week it's supposed to be back in the 40-50's for the week. So anything on the ground will pretty much be gone by then.

I grew up in Kansas City and back then winters were mostly nasty cold icy times, with as many ice storms and snow storms.  The snow would get plowed to the side of the road and then just hang there getting black and ugly for weeks on end.

Now I'm in the Denver area and this year has been unseasonably warm and dry down in the city - I think we've only had 2, maybe 3 snows this year of more than an inch.  While it is typical here for it to snow and then be sunny for many days so that it all melts pretty quick, it is not typical for it to jump back into the 40s and 50s after a snowstorm this far into winter.  Luckily the mountains are at least getting snow so our snowpack is holding well for the year. 

7 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

I grew up in Kansas City and back then winters were mostly nasty cold icy times, with as many ice storms and snow storms.  The snow would get plowed to the side of the road and then just hang there getting black and ugly for weeks on end.

Now I'm in the Denver area and this year has been unseasonably warm and dry down in the city - I think we've only had 2, maybe 3 snows this year of more than an inch.  While it is typical here for it to snow and then be sunny for many days so that it all melts pretty quick, it is not typical for it to jump back into the 40s and 50s after a snowstorm this far into winter.  Luckily the mountains are at least getting snow so our snowpack is holding well for the year. 

I live near the Springfield area. Weather here is so random, that you just listen to the news and nod your head and plan for anything or nothing no matter what they said at times. It's been 30ish here today and by later this week if not tomorrow it's supposed to warm back up to the 40s according to the weather, but then again won't know until then really.

On 1/12/2019 at 11:37 PM, Coby Foden said:

Exploring Heterocera continent. There are many very nice looking places. Like this one:
Italian Village of Ciampi http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Bhima/53/150/38

Looks amazingly realistic. This is unedited raw snapshot with region's Windlight.

2019-01-12_Italian-village.thumb.jpg.ac4c7175611c159e5408f98f32d37111.jpg

Hey - that looks familiar...I'm pretty sure that's just up the road from my store. It's so gorgeously done it's making me work on my stores next door and try to make my little patch of earth more in keeping with the environs. The owner of Ciampi Village has done a marvelous job.

• Like 2

Found out today that Tobey lost 17lb since September. He’s been diagnosed with diabetes. Will inject insulin twice daily with food. No more treats. In two weeks he gets tested to adjust insulin levels. Once his blood sugar is better, he should want to eat again. I have appetite stimulant to help with that. I am both devastated and hopeful.

B888ACC6-0B67-4361-B8FC-7E62809259C0.jpeg

• Sad 7

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 224 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.