What are you doing today!? :D

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 224 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

2 hours ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

I remember that day with my son - it was pretty awesome.

Insanity runs in my family, at least he chose a branch that makes a semi-normal life possible :-)

My son is probably smarter than I was at his age :-)

• Like 2

Among other things, making art, building a spaceship (I did not really build it, just stuck some letters on the side) dancing, watching a gigantic baby, I also went to Church.

church.jpg

• Like 5

Oddly satisfying and therapeutic, as well as a pleasant stroll down memory lane. Inventory reduced by 3000 items in the past few days. And no, I refuse to delete it all. It's my history here, so archiving it into prims (and then further prims, etc etc) is my version of scrapbooking :P

archiving.jpg.94f3eddec93b73679a592b8e5da24133.jpg

• Like 4

We were supposed to go to a parade, but it got cancelled. Since mother nature has decided to thrust some nasty storms upon us...getting into sl ain't happening either(power on and off all day). Instead, I am periodically bailing my garage out of flood state...ok, that's a not fully true.., me and the kids were playing in 6 inches of standing water in the garage, driveway and yards, making a giant mess..there's very little bailing out at all going on here now, lol. 

Laundry is next on the list, since I can no longer tell which child of mine is which under all the mud.

• Like 2

A couple weeks ago I had an abmormal "female test", I had to have an ultrasound because the test was suspicious for uterine cancer. I FINALLY got the results this morning. Today I will be busy NOT HAVING CANCER!!!! ( I just HAD to share that with someone!!)

Edited by Aislin Ceawlin
  • Like 7

15 hours ago, Talligurl said:

So today I learned that apparently Mosques are rare in SL

Central to the reason behind that would, I suspect, be the proscription of aniconism within the Islamic religion. Creating a Second Life avatar would probably be classed as 'creating an image of a sentient being', viz.:

Aniconism is a proscription in Islam against the creation of images of sentient beings. The most absolute proscription is of images of God in Islam, followed by depictions of Muhammad, and then Islamic prophets and the relatives of Muhammad, but the depiction of all humans and non-human animals is discouraged in the hadith and by the long tradition of Islamic authorities, especially Sunni ones. This has led to Islamic art being dominated by Islamic geometric patterns, calligraphy and the barely representational foliage patterns of the arabesque; but figurative art still has a strong tradition, especially on a small scale in private works for the home or palace.

Aniconism came into greater general public knowledge around the time of the Charlie Hebdo attack, but while many people know that Islam forbids images of God and the prophet Muhammad, it's not so well-known that any images of sentient beings are not allowed. If you google Islamic art, you'll see some incredibly intricate and beautiful geometric designs, but none that depict human or animal forms.

While I don't doubt that there are a great many Muslims in SL (indeed, one of the best-known SL bloggers is a Muslim) they are very likely to be of the kind that don't adhere to the stricter rules (after all, there are several sects within the Islamic religion, just as there are many forms of Christianity), or who don't equate a 3D avatar as a depiction of a human form in art, and the mosques are probably built for and/or by them.

(Disclaimer: Not at all religious, but I read very widely and Islamic art has always fascinated me for its intricacy and beauty.)

Edited by Skell Dagger
  • Like 3

3 minutes ago, Syo Emerald said:

Religion is all about cherry-picking. Rules and texts are only true, if they suit the viewpoint and argument of the believer and everything else is either "taken out of context" or gets simply ignored.

My post was a general musing about the probable reason for the scarcity of mosques in Second Life. I have no desire to begin a debate about what religion is or is not, so I'm bowing out of this one.

• Like 2

Just now, Skell Dagger said:

My post was a general musing about the probable reason for the scarcity of mosques in Second Life. I have no desire to begin a debate about what religion is or is not, so I'm bowing out of this one.

I would simply say instead of following some rule about display, the reason why we see not many mosques in SL is simply, because not many people feel the need to put them up. And that probably applies to many more religious buildings and the only reason we see more of a certain kind (for example churches) is, that they are not so exclusivly tied to religious practices, but more to a general sense of astethics and "completeness", just like someone would put up a supermarket, restaurant or gas station.

3 minutes ago, Syo Emerald said:

I would simply say instead of following some rule about display, the reason why we see not many mosques in SL is simply, because not many people feel the need to put them up. And that probably applies to many more religious buildings and the only reason we see more of a certain kind (for example churches) is, that they are not so exclusivly tied to religious practices, but more to a general sense of astethics and "completeness", just like someone would put up a supermarket, restaurant or gas station.

That is, of course, another possibility.

7 minutes ago, Talligurl said:

and neither one of you have considered the possibility of Islamophobia among the typical SL resident?

I would say that it's probably more ambivalence than Islamophobia that leads people to not want to create something that doesn't interest them. I'm ambivalent about religion, therefore I have no interest in creating any religious building. I create what I'm passionate about, as do most people who are drawn to any form of creative expression. I think it's a bit of a stretch to consider "the typical SL resident" as being Islamophobic.

• Like 1

Oh and the prohibition of artistic depiction humans was present in at least parts of early Christianity as well. Though that seems to have died out fairly early, but it was an issue debated by the early Church fathers. The feeling was that since man was created as an image of God, and image of man was also an image of God, and so prohibited. of course most of the modern church no longer even has a problem with images of God. 

1 minute ago, Skell Dagger said:

I would say that it's probably more ambivalence than Islamophobia that leads people to not want to create something that doesn't interest them. I'm ambivalent about religion, therefore I have no interest in creating any religious building. I create what I'm passionate about, as do most people who are drawn to any form of creative expression. I think it's a bit of a stretch to consider "the typical SL resident" as being Islamophobic.

True, but when you search for mosque in places you get two hits, and in the description for one of them is this line.

"We are not Muslims but since mosques have disappeared from SL" now if this is true, that they disappeared, i think ambivalence does not quite explain it.

6 minutes ago, Talligurl said:

True, but when you search for mosque in places you get two hits, and in the description for one of them is this line.

"We are not Muslims but since mosques have disappeared from SL" now if this is true, that they disappeared, i think ambivalence does not quite explain it.

Talli, you seem determined to prove a point. I am not debating the exact reason why there may be fewer mosques in SL than any other religious edifice. I simply offered one reason that may be a possibility.

As before:

37 minutes ago, Skell Dagger said:

I have no desire to begin a debate about what religion is or is not, so I'm bowing out of this one.

I am, indeed, bowing out now.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 224 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.