I may have been given fraudulent L$. What now?

Struana

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2484 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

I submitted a ticket inquiring about what I may be able to do in order to avoid penalty incase this suspicious amount of L$ is hacked, as I was always told that if it seems too good to be true it likely is. I'm curious as to any steps I may be able to take to ensure this does not negatively effect my future experience on second life, and no I'm not going to "send it to x user for verification" if anybody is going to try that crud. I simply wish to discuss, in case I am in any danger of action taken against my account. It is not like I am able to deny lindens being given to me, after all.

Screenshot_9.png

10 answers to this question

I had this happen to me once years ago and it was much more than the amount you show in your pic. I messaged the sender and asked if it was a mistake. He never replied so I paid him back the exact amount. Later that day he paid me again!!!  I lived on those L$ for years and never had an issue. 

• Like 1

I'd look at the profile of the person who sent it and see how old their account it.  If it is an old account, then possibly they paid the wrong person, or even a slight possibility of a "random act of kindness".  If their account is really new, then I'd be suspect also - a ticket to LL was a good idea.

Edited by LittleMe Jewell

You did the right thing. LL can track fraudulent L$, so just make sure you don't accidentally spend any of it. Keep an eye on your balance, make a note of what you had before that L$10k landed in it, and make sure you don't spend any more than that.

If the money is still in your account in one month's time, and you've not heard anything back on your support ticket, chase it up. (If you're a premium account, start a live chat with Support to ask about it). After that amount of time has passed it's best to just ask if the money is fraudulent, or if you can go ahead and spend it.

I guess you could always try contacting him. Something like, "Hey there. I received some money from you on [date]. Was that meant for me or someone else? If it was me, then what was it for?" (I suggest not mentioning how much it was, though.)

It's possible that he just spelled the name wrong and didn't bother to check anything about the profile that came up. I don't know if there's an avatar with a similar name (possibly Strauna instead of Struana?) but I guess that might be what happened. If you do contact him, update your support ticket with that info and anything he said in reply to it.

• Like 1

There is a bit more context to this than I'm willing to put out right now, but I will say that he knowingly gave it to me. If the ticket is cleared I may share some more details, but it may not matter by then. ; _;''

There is a basic scam that runs by stealing money and then leaving a trail to a shill. It is often another form of griefing. You are left holding stolen goods...

Call Linden Lab's accounting and report what happened. Ask what to do and request they make a note in your file that you called about the problem.

• Administrators

Hey there!

If you receive L$ from an unknown source the best thing you can do is to not spend the L$ and report it immediately by submitting an Abuse Report.

For more information on Abuse Reports, please read our Guide to Filing an Abuse Report in the Second Life Knowledge Base.

http://community.secondlife.com/t5/English-Knowledge-Base/Filing-an-abuse-report/ta-p/700065

If you're uncomfortable with holding onto the L$ you may try sending them back to the source account (as they may have sent it to you by mistake) or send them to Governor Linden and include that in your report as well.

• Like 3

Ha!  While I respect and admire Kristin Linden for being an official voice of LL here in the forum, I would not follow her last piece of advice, i.e. "send (the $L) to Governor Linden".  If the money is indeed fraudulent, LL will take the money out of your account themselves.  If it is NOT fraudulent, sending it to LL runs the risk of not getting it back!

• Like 3

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2484 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.