AVSitter is going open source

Pussycat Catnap

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2451 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

6 minutes ago, Pussycat Catnap said:

You mean like - selling an item that has a no-mod copy of the script in it?

First while I can't see why you would want to do that going FORWARD unless you altered the script...

It will have to be OK because that is how all of the currently 'out there' product is.

But it poses an interesting legal question of what to do if the GPL doesn't allow for this? There's got to be an exception for 'already released copies' of code.

If it were me doingthis... I'd simply alter the line 

"copyright me avsitter v2" at the top of the script to

"copyright me avsitter v2.5 opensource under blah blah blah"

So the old v2 no mod versions are still fine, and the new v2.5's go out open source as per the Reg-U-Lations...

On 6/14/2017 at 2:32 PM, Innula Zenovka said:

This is why I give out all my full perms stuff under the special "Do what hell you like with it, but I'd rather you didn't try to scam people by passing it off as your own work and selling the script on its own" licence.   Far simpler.

Ah, the modified WTFPL, yes... I believe that's known as the WTFPL.2.0.1, if I'm not mistaken (or making things up). xD

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

wow good news for people who haven't already spent the 3000L + extras on it. For those who just recently bought it, it is a bit of a kick in the teeth though. 

I suppose it is a much better option than just leaving a high priced item in the catalogue with no support. It's a great script I have to say. Very multi-functional. I will look forward to using it in the open sim. 

Yeah, but I guess if one did unwittingly buy the product at full price only to learn it would soon be free of charge, it might be a bit disconcerting. "If only I'd waited" sorta thing. I see, though, that the Marketplace listing for the product very prominently discloses the plan to go open-source, so that seems as much as anybody could expect.

The best part of this, really, is the increased "network effect" of this system becoming even more universal, and that benefits everybody who owns it. Indeed, anybody planning to use it in their products might even want to buy it now, knowing full well it will be free in a few weeks, just to get a head start. I mean, it was very widely used already, but now it will really be nearly universal.

All of which makes me wonder if nPose has any continued viability, or if it would make sense to somehow "frankenscript" it with AVsitter, still offering distinct options for configuration data storage and format. Not sure this is really practical.

(A further tangent: Back in the day, good animations were scarce and expensive and mostly sold transfer/no-copy, so to be able to re-use them, I scripted a kind of animation-server that could be shared by any number of objects in the same region. Those economics have changed, of course, but the approach had one other advantage: It reduced the total number of idle scripts in a region that had a lot of animated objects using it. At this point, with Mono and plenty of spare server RAM, I'm thinking it won't be worth forking AVsitter to port in that stuff.)

Edited by Qie Niangao

• 4 weeks later...

As far as I have been able to tell in some quick playing around is:  One of the things I can see that will be different from the still being sold version and the free version is the associated experience key.  The sold version will continue to be done up under the AVSitter experience key.  Users of the opens source version will have to obtain their own experience personal key if they can and associate it there -- That is there wont be a nice blanket AVSitter experience regardless of the who makes the final product.  It's a small thing but it can be a significant thing in terms of trust.

If I ever start making anything for more than personal use, it might be something that will give me some pause to think about.

Edited by Anna Salyx
  • Like 2

It's a good point Anna. Thanks for making it.

I use Code Violet's experience on all my sims, the convenience to have things self-attach is worth it, and they are trusted. My devices will keep working that way until the github version has a commit that improves it substantially. At that point, we compile and lose the Code Violet experience, and we return to attach permission spam.

Almost seems the Lab should allow attach from contents of something sat upon, without the need for the experience kludge.

• Like 1

Assuming someone already owns a paid-for version of AvSitter (or is prepared to invest the RL cost of a cup of coffee to buy one), what's to stop them putting Code Violet's closed experience tools add--ons into items they make with future versions of the OS github version?   They'll still respond to the same link messages, and there's no reason for those to change.    If at some point LL introduce some more functions that depend on experience permissions, it's hard to see how that could be combined with the closed add-ons, but otherwise things should work as they always have done.

I purchased the MP version of AVSitter2 and received V2.2 with the scripts being full perm.  I am slowly migrating into OpenSim and would like to use AVSitter there.  

AVSitter 2 is written to compatible with LLS, will it work in an OpenSim project without massive rewriting of the code?

If it is, is it simply a matter of copying the scripts in SL, redoing the scripts in an OpenSim grid and being able to use AVSitter?  

I am not a a scripter so if these seem like stupid questions, I do apologize.

Edited by AlexGJacobs

On 06/08/2017 at 4:48 AM, Innula Zenovka said:

Assuming someone already owns a paid-for version of AvSitter (or is prepared to invest the RL cost of a cup of coffee to buy one), what's to stop them putting Code Violet's closed experience tools add--ons into items they make with future versions of the OS github version?

You can't compile someone elses experience, can you? But I guess that only matters if you alter the Objects script. For the rest it wont.

And nothing stops one doing it. The license is MPL so allows for the mixing or proprietory and not, as long as the non-proprietory is provided to the customer full perms.

Edited by Callum Meriman

1 hour ago, Callum Meriman said:

You can't compile someone elses experience, can you? But I guess that only matters if you alter the Objects script. For the rest

Right.  You'd need to be a member of the AvSitter group with a group role that allowed you to compile scripts set to the AvSitter Experience in order to compile the script.  But, as you say, that doesn't matter -- there's no need to edit the closed, no-mod, [AV]object script.  It will attach to the avatar and that should be all you need.   The only thing I don't think you'll be able to do is use is llSitOnLink, since I don't think AvSitter supports it (though I could well be mistaken).

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2451 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.