My bad drawings of my worse avatars

MegaRose

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2195 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I was a Crux today!

Cruxes

The Crux avatar is one that puzzled me for a while.  I kept seeing them, and seeing mods for them, but couldn't find the avatar!  So eventually I asked someone for a landmark to where they were sold, and it turns out they're free!  I did some digging and it turns out the Crux avatar is ancient.  The first version was from 2006, the one available for free is from 2008.  It's made of prims (including invisiprims!) and has to be modded by dragging individual textures onto each piece, with no appliers.  Despite being so old, I keep seeing Crux mods, including mods to match mesh bodies to the Crux head.  As far as I can tell nobody's made a mesh Crux, they just put Crux heads or Crux fur patterns onto other meshes.

The original creator's lore seems to have been wiped from the internet, but I knew there had to be a story here.  Each Crux coloration has a latin name, instead of just being labeled by color, and they all have chest symbols.  After putting together my Crux 'girl' (the avatars are labeled 'genderless') I went to the Crux Roadstead, which is where the avatars are distributed.  It's this big wrecked up looking alleyway with furry shops just kind of shoehorned into grimy little nooks.  There's a lounge down a dark alley, where I found some furries sitting around voice chatting about nothing in particular.  There I got some advice for my avatar (the earrings don't move with the ears unless I anchor them right) and learned the lore behind Cruxes.  Apparently they were made from a mix of alchemy and necromancy, using alien DNA, in an abandoned asylum.  It's one of the most 2006 things I've heard in a while.  Each Crux name and symbol is from alchemy, apparently.

The Cruxes thought my avatar was pretty. :3

cruxgirl.thumb.png.aad6b49fab6b90e83f8bfb40b81e275b.png

She's hacked together from freebies, and her coloration is a mix of one of the default Crux types and a rainbow mod I found.

• Like 11

• 3 months later...

Ooof, I shoulda posted a while ago.

I actually was active on SL pretty much every day of December, but I was just trying to scoop up as many advent calendar, event, and hunt freebies as I could.  I burned myself out a bit.  But over the course of November til now I did make a few avatars.  I just didn't draw them, but now I did so here they are.

New Outfit Who This

bootsgirl.thumb.png.3158a52ad49a01331d824a116ea4a95c.png

This one I just sort of threw together from whatever looked good.  The shape is one I picked up as a freebie, and I didn't edit it.  The hair and jewelry I had on because I was unpacking stuff and trying it on.  I tossed some of my favorite leggings together with a tank that I wear a lot in different colors, and this happened.  The boots are my favorite part, but because I guess they're kind of old they're super complex and laggy.  I got booted from a sim for exceeding complexity limits for the first time because of those boots.  I thought it was going to be the jewelry, but nope.

New Girl?

basicbluegirl.thumb.png.5a410acaa9bfd5952756f139d00949e0.png

This girl I put together intentionally.  I just decided on a whim to construct a new face.  AT some point during the process of adjusting sliders I decided she was going to be a mean girl.  The hair I gave her just screams "I want to speak to the manager" to me.

Frosty Goth Antivirus Daemon Girl

frostygirl.thumb.png.13c6d7c0907d19c301f7e4ad9b7b48f2.png

This girl was made with an 'Antivirus Daemon' fursuit.  It was one of many ancient avatars being given away for free in the creator's store, where they were selling much more modern creations.  I was in there in October while doing a hunt.  I went with the white/blue color scheme because it was the first one in my inventory alphabetically.  I had unpacked it first and immediately thought 'ooh I can work with this.'  Because the USB cord tail has such a dark black to it, I went with all black for the clothes.  So she's sort of a goth, but not really.

I have a bunch of December finds to unpack still, and a bunch of October hunt finds that I still have barely touched.  But I've been occupied with other projects, and Second Life took a backseat.  Now that I've drawn and posted these three though I should go back in and make something new!

• Like 13

57 minutes ago, MegaRose said:

Ooof, I shoulda posted a while ago.

I actually was active on SL pretty much every day of December, but I was just trying to scoop up as many advent calendar, event, and hunt freebies as I could.  I burned myself out a bit.  But over the course of November til now I did make a few avatars.  I just didn't draw them, but now I did so here they are.

New Outfit Who This

bootsgirl.thumb.png.3158a52ad49a01331d824a116ea4a95c.png

This one I just sort of threw together from whatever looked good.  The shape is one I picked up as a freebie, and I didn't edit it.  The hair and jewelry I had on because I was unpacking stuff and trying it on.  I tossed some of my favorite leggings together with a tank that I wear a lot in different colors, and this happened.  The boots are my favorite part, but because I guess they're kind of old they're super complex and laggy.  I got booted from a sim for exceeding complexity limits for the first time because of those boots.  I thought it was going to be the jewelry, but nope.

New Girl?

basicbluegirl.thumb.png.5a410acaa9bfd5952756f139d00949e0.png

This girl I put together intentionally.  I just decided on a whim to construct a new face.  AT some point during the process of adjusting sliders I decided she was going to be a mean girl.  The hair I gave her just screams "I want to speak to the manager" to me.

Frosty Goth Antivirus Daemon Girl

frostygirl.thumb.png.13c6d7c0907d19c301f7e4ad9b7b48f2.png

This girl was made with an 'Antivirus Daemon' fursuit.  It was one of many ancient avatars being given away for free in the creator's store, where they were selling much more modern creations.  I was in there in October while doing a hunt.  I went with the white/blue color scheme because it was the first one in my inventory alphabetically.  I had unpacked it first and immediately thought 'ooh I can work with this.'  Because the USB cord tail has such a dark black to it, I went with all black for the clothes.  So she's sort of a goth, but not really.

I have a bunch of December finds to unpack still, and a bunch of October hunt finds that I still have barely touched.  But I've been occupied with other projects, and Second Life took a backseat.  Now that I've drawn and posted these three though I should go back in and make something new!

Welcome back! Your avis and drawings of them look great!

• Like 2

New girl!

New Goth Wip

hazel.thumb.png.f56bfbb550b3c4aa9462d12a764ce39b.png

I made this girl with the free WOH Altamura Jenny body.  She's kind of built from necessity, since that body comes with only one skin and only one hairbase option, I gave her hair to match.  There's not a lot of Altamura-fitted mesh in my inventory so she wound up being another goth girl because that was the best dress I had.  Overall I think she's pretty good looking.  I put her shape up for free with full permissions up on the marketplace.  The full function Jenny is supposed to be released soon right? (or maybe it already is)  So now there's a curvy shape out there to match it.

• Like 7

18 minutes ago, MegaRose said:

The full function Jenny is supposed to be released soon right? (or maybe it already is)  So now there's a curvy shape out there to match it.

Yep, it was released this past midnight and on special for only L$900 to group members for the first week (and the group is even free to join)

• 4 weeks later...

Back with a few more.  I did this girl a bit ago, mostly I just threw stuff together and then tweaked a new shape.

Part Two

cordeliacherry.thumb.png.165c315b9a30e37f390e5bf355da17c0.png

So then I realized I had done a lot of really standard, basic human girls wearing clothes for human girls.  Dressup is still fun but it's not as weird as a lot of my older avatars.  So I decided to do some weirdos next.

INCOMPLETE

aliengirl.thumb.png.94ed5a128b2a4010021d9ced7209fa89.png

This one is still a bit of a work in progress.  I got the skin from a gacha, and it was the one I wanted so I got pretty lucky on the first try.  I gave her my slink feet and my AK Kumiko head, with a very long, lanky custom shape.  Her face is really alien too, with big eyes and pointy cheekbones.  My intention was to show off as much of her sparkly skin as possible, and decorate her with a bunch of bright pink, skimpy clothing.  I spent way too long looking for good clothes in my huge inventory (and her shape made it even harder to get a good fit) so I just settled for this.  I'll probably have her try a bunch of stuff on over time until I find something good.

New creature

chipette1.thumb.png.750f02171aa1eaf7d295fb7bb8531d0f.png

This one is also kind of a work in progress.  The chipmunk avatar is from Titans and was on sale for 35L, so I snagged it.  It's pretty nice that the only color on sale is the one I would've bought anyways.  I fitted some prim hair to her, and stuck an accessory through it.  I wanted to use some big chunky jewelry I have to make her some 'clothes,' but it took a million years and didn't come out right.  So here's a drawing of what I was going for:

chipette2.thumb.png.26b1341d978a996fc67ec63ef8104c4a.png

I like the idea of a bunch of chains draped across her waist, but it's not gonna happen, not with necklaces designed to drape over shoulders.  The curve is wrong.  I could forego the chain and attach a bunch of the matching earrings to her waist, and in fact I did...but forgot to anchor them somewhere other than the ear.  So when she moved her head, the roses moved out and floated in space.  So I figured I could work on her again some other time.

And finally, I've decided on how to represent 'me' in SL, although not through an avatar:

abbalynnastral.thumb.png.5365427590c5c08d4c649bf7bb61a0f8.png

In-world I've been using the display name 'Abbalynn Orbweaver.'  It just sort of came from nowhere and sounded good, so I'm sticking with it.  So I've been thinking of all the avatars I make and use as Abbalynn's creations, while Abbalynn herself is an unseen creator spirit.  Orbweavers are the type of spider that makes the traditional round spiderwebs (as opposed to trapdoors or funnels or many other kinds of webs, or lack of webs), so I've given her extra arms and eyes (but not eight, that's a lot to draw).  Her legs glow as kind of an illogical extreme representation of the kind of brightly colored leggings I like to use in some of my outfits.  Her hair is just more or less how my hair is, but longer (my hair IRL goes down to mid-thigh).  And I kindasorta designed her so that if I wanted to, I could build her out of my Kemono mesh body.  Possibly.  But she's not necessarily becoming an in-world avatar.

So that's what I've been up to.  I'll DEFINITELY want to re-dress my alien girl soon.

• Like 12

• 3 weeks later...

I've spent a lot of time lately just sorting through my inventory.  I've unpacked, tagged, and sorted a bunch of the stuff I picked up around Christmas, but definitely not all of it.  But in the process a bunch of outfits happened.

TMP Free Clothes

I went to the TMP store to grab some free clothes, which was super tedious so I kind of gave up.  The HUD shopping system wigs out when I'm trying to rapidly unlock every color for every mesh item really quickly.  But I got some basics in some pinks and purples because I can match them to a lot of things.  And I put them on my TMP body girl.

hearteyes.thumb.png.e3acadc315017c60076f4b1d4bae05f1.png

I felt like doing a different kind of portrait.  Maybe this will end up on a shirt or something.

My new Valentina

I also picked up the 300L Altamura Valentina body.  It took me hours of fiddling with the huds and Omega relay to get her all made up.  The shape is made from scratch, I might put it up for free on MP but I haven't yet.

valentina.thumb.png.b3f8e20d482da83bcbe93c3b3de5d512.png

She doesn't have an outfit yet, and I'm gonna try and not just make her wear black and purple like all my other avatars seem to do.

Playing around

While unpacking stuff I realized that while I own the 1L Ebody bodies, I've never used them.  So I tossed some stuff together real quick, just to see how it would look.  Her head and shape are the same as my TMP/Akeruka girl, who is modeling all that pink and purple TMP stuff above.  I like how no matter what I do to her body and hair, that face always looks so bored and scornful.  I think it's funny that she hates me.

bluebangs.thumb.png.31f6fb60e25db6c1ea816946d5fddd60.png

Spooky Again

This is another goth girl who just kind of sprung out of me trying on clothes.  Someday I'll have to write out full character bios for each of my goth humans and say that they're all roommates in some kind of weird goth sorority.  This one has the same shape and a similar skintone to the pink-haired cherry themed girl in my last post, so I've decided they're sisters.

arseniccherry.thumb.png.471f7b13df25829062ca3735608e2627.png

And my favorite from this batch is furry:

NICE

alia.thumb.png.9fcfb491eb7cdbc18793dbb02a5e2352.png

While doing the Peace on Earth hunt in December I found a store that had a HUGE pile of freebies.  Literally a pile, heaped up in the corner of their store.  Each one was a functional demo for one of their products.  It's a store for kid clothes so SOMETIMES that kind of thing fits on my Kemono with the really small shape I use for my 'me' avatar (the purple and pink glasses furry) so I picked them all up.  A lot of things didn't fit, because the Kemono is much slimmer than a child avatar would be.  Everything was also rigged slightly too far forward for the torso.  Baggy things fit, but even many of those left me with a chunk of neck sticking out of the back where the Kemono's alpha cuts weren't precise enough.  Somehow, against all odds, one of the items that fit perfectly was goth pants.  They look so good that I'm considering buying more.  Her name is Alia.

Easter is my favorite holiday so I miiiight get set back a little on my inventory sorting if there are enough free hunts for me to dig through.  I've been thinking about putting more money into SL for land (maybe premium but only if I can be sure I want to commit) but I've told myself not to until my inventory is under control.  We'll see!

• Like 12

26 minutes ago, MegaRose said:

but I've told myself not to until my inventory is under control

Most of us have come to realize that the inventory never gets fully under control - especially if you are a freebie shopper and/or hunt person.  We simply hope for semi-controlled. 

:SwingingFriends:

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

Most of us have come to realize that the inventory never gets fully under control - especially if you are a freebie shopper and/or hunt person.  We simply hope for semi-controlled. 

:SwingingFriends:

Yeah I've already ruined myself, after making that post I went in to a hunt and one of the stores in the hunt had a stack of freebies.  The cycle begins anew.

• Haha 2

OKAY, I DID THE THING...

I did the math on this 50% first month premium deal, and you basically get all that money back through the weekly stipend, so I'm going for it.  Soooooo I have a Linden Home.  For a month.  After a month I'll see if I feel committed enough for a year of premium.  PROBABLY NOT.

But I now have a place to release these cats I got back in the SL14B freebies!  They're cute.

Cat

cathouse.thumb.png.13237e61e1029fd986cce7278375b019.png

Normie is wearing some stuff I unpacked from an easter hunt

• Like 8

32 minutes ago, MegaRose said:

OKAY, I DID THE THING...

I did the math on this 50% first month premium deal, and you basically get all that money back through the weekly stipend, so I'm going for it.  Soooooo I have a Linden Home.  For a month.  After a month I'll see if I feel committed enough for a year of premium.  PROBABLY NOT.

But I now have a place to release these cats I got back in the SL14B freebies!  They're cute.

Cat

cathouse.thumb.png.13237e61e1029fd986cce7278375b019.png

Normie is wearing some stuff I unpacked from an easter hunt

If you ever create a virtual world in which the avatars look like the things you draw, I'm moving over.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Madelaine McMasters said:

If you ever create a virtual world in which the avatars look like the things you draw, I'm moving over.

Well, I DO spend a lot of time on virtual petsites that use 2d art, it's actually always been kind of a dream to make my own...  But it wouldn't be like Second Life, that's way beyond my scope.  But if you've ever seen what Subeta or Flight Rising looks like, maybe someday I'll actually make one like that!

Inventory organization continues...

unboxing.thumb.png.349cc9057da1b06a552a5cfb2bcf5183.png

I've spent a little time each day unpacking stuff from Christmas.  I'm like...half done?  And then there's the rest of my temp folder waiting to unpack.  Still got some Easter hunts to check out.  Having a Linden Home has made it cozier, since nobody can suddenly wander in and see me changing clothes.  But I haven't really done much that uniquely needs my own land.  I enjoy having my breedables walk around, although they're probably lagging the place out (it's hard to tell, my wireless adapter is also not great so my connection is frequently slow).  It's great to be trying on new outfits and then some neon colored scuplty potato-looking cats come walking along at random.  They're cute.  I'm hoping that by the end of the month I have them breeding so I recoup some of the cost of feeding them.  We'll see!  Selling the babies would probably involve more in-world communication (or offsite on the KittyCatS and BioBreeds forums? maybe) and I might just want to keep them instead.

I'm also noticing as I keep unpacking stuff that a few of the same mesh models keep showing up.  I swear I have three or four of the same full perm dress, textured differently by different stores.  The few things I've put up for sale have been textured full perm stuff, I wonder if the meshes I've used are recognizable?  Most people probably don't check.

(speaking of which...I put some of my avatar drawings onto shirts, so you can buy those if you want)

• Like 8

13 hours ago, MegaRose said:

Inventory organization continues...

unboxing.thumb.png.349cc9057da1b06a552a5cfb2bcf5183.png

I've spent a little time each day unpacking stuff from Christmas.  I'm like...half done?  And then there's the rest of my temp folder waiting to unpack.  Still got some Easter hunts to check out.  Having a Linden Home has made it cozier, since nobody can suddenly wander in and see me changing clothes.  But I haven't really done much that uniquely needs my own land.  I enjoy having my breedables walk around, although they're probably lagging the place out (it's hard to tell, my wireless adapter is also not great so my connection is frequently slow).  It's great to be trying on new outfits and then some neon colored scuplty potato-looking cats come walking along at random.  They're cute.  I'm hoping that by the end of the month I have them breeding so I recoup some of the cost of feeding them.  We'll see!  Selling the babies would probably involve more in-world communication (or offsite on the KittyCatS and BioBreeds forums? maybe) and I might just want to keep them instead.

I'm also noticing as I keep unpacking stuff that a few of the same mesh models keep showing up.  I swear I have three or four of the same full perm dress, textured differently by different stores.  The few things I've put up for sale have been textured full perm stuff, I wonder if the meshes I've used are recognizable?  Most people probably don't check.

(speaking of which...I put some of my avatar drawings onto shirts, so you can buy those if you want)

Sounds totally fun lol! NOT because I have been at that for a couple of days... I have stuff from MP... in my objects folder and everywhere!

2 hours ago, MayaSkyrose said:

Sounds totally fun lol! NOT because I have been at that for a couple of days... I have stuff from MP... in my objects folder and everywhere!

When I was still new to SL I had my tablet set up so that I was browsing all 0L$ items in the marketplace so that on my lunch breaks at work I could just go through and pick up as many freebies as possible, and I still have a ton of those to sort through.  I'm certain I didn't get everything since the marketplace search isn't great.  The MP is like an endless source of new stuff to sort through.

Because of that I have a ton of Alaskametro sampler makeup, and they're so good that I'm more or less brand loyal now.  If I ever have a specific look I want I'm going to Alaskametro first, all because they have so many marketplace freebies.

• Like 2

I'm nearing the end of week two of trying out premium.  My breedables aren't at breeding age yet.  The KittyCatS continue to thrive on the starter food they came with and are adorable.  I have the SLB14 BioBreeds dogs eating up a chunk of my L$ just to keep them alive, so I'm hoping when I can breed them the puppy(ies) recoup the food cost.  Either way when my month of premium is up they'll just get shoved in the inventory so whatever.  I got some free Crystal Ponies from the Quest Fur Cover hunt, then went to get more info on them and they had a bunch of free starter ponies so I picked those up.  The only real costs from those are from the food, which is cheap.  But since that breedable type is new and doesn't have a bunch of fancy features, I probably won't be able to sell any foals for much.  Also, I don't know where to go to actually sell stuff (I'm assuming the Marketplace doesn't get a lot of breedables traffic? idk).  So, so far I'm not super convinced to keep premium after this one month.  My Linden Home is nice but all I do in it is unpack stuff I find in more and more hunts.

WELL ANYWAYS, that's not really important, and not related to bad drawings of worse avatars.  I did this today:

The Demo Witch

whitewitchdemoria.thumb.png.8ff2834a7cc58989a4c42488ba521d53.png

Meet my latest avatar, White Witch Demoria.  I was trying on a bunch of Maitreya stuff I had unpacked, and some of it fits on my Altamura Valentina while others are just a little too off to fix with alpha cuts.  I do have the Maitreya demo, so when I wanna see what these clothes are really supposed to look like, I wear that.  And that got me to thinking that the 'demo' rings around the body actually kind of look cool.  So I figured out an outfit that would match their colors and recontextualize them as magical runes.  And then I went into a fancy forest sim, messed with the windlight, and took some photos.  I made this picture in Krita, an art program I don't normally use, because I need to learn how to use it properly.  Krita has a lot of neat brush presets that I need to familiarize myself with.

• Like 12

• 2 weeks later...

It occurred to me that when I try Maitreya/Belleza/Slink clothes on, I don't actually need to see a body.  With a full body alpha it doesn't matter what fits, I'm just looking at a mesh object so I know how to tag its folder.  So I started doing that, and somehow ended up with an avatar.

Trying something

invisbun.thumb.png.76ecabae15e0ad75a42812e475806e34.png

She's not quite how I'd actually do an invisible girl.  I enjoy the idea of a greyscale ghostly lady whose body is unseen, but there are big areas of invisible limb that should have at least a little decoration on them, to help track where the limbs actually are.  Or, it'd be nice if I could have a glowing, misty body underneath.  So I drew that:

invisibunfantasy.thumb.png.f459f748e0db8893ffe549ca00706f76.png

The ideal ghost girl avatar, I suppose.

ALSO look what happens when messing with very old, primmy avatars:

I'm a horse

fingerhorse.png.d9a5a58a6a4832e6c92c76444aed0b7b.png

Neeeeigh

• Like 8

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2195 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.