Security For Apartment Building

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2032 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I have set up an apartment complex, 4 buildings, side by side; each with 5 floors. I am trying to find the best way to install a security system for each floor, without it intervening with the floors above,below or next to it.  I have security orbs ect, I am just looking on advice how to get each to work, without it kicking a neighbor out of there home and still prevent unwanted guest. I realize there are "lock Door" scripts, however, it doesn't prevent people from actually invading someones space.

28 minutes ago, DianeAguilar05 said:

I have set up an apartment complex, 4 buildings, side by side; each with 5 floors. I am trying to find the best way to install a security system for each floor, without it intervening with the floors above,below or next to it.  I have security orbs ect, I am just looking on advice how to get each to work, without it kicking a neighbor out of there home and still prevent unwanted guest. I realize there are "lock Door" scripts, however, it doesn't prevent people from actually invading someones space.

Many security systems allow you to scan a designated volume (i.e. a cube-like shape from one x,y,z coordinate to another one.) You could set up secure volumes for each apartment. You'll have to be careful that the volumes don't bleed into someone else's space though.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/1/2017 at 7:11 PM, DianeAguilar05 said:

I think the short answer is that you cannot do this in apartment buildings. It's just too hard. You can set security orbs to distances like 5 or 10, but that can ding people in the next apartment sometimes. I've never seen any "ban by volume" devices, I don't think this is a question of "many".  That is, I'm aware of maybe 2 or 3 brands of skyboxes that have security for the periphery of the build only, but they aren't apartment buildings.

I think you should have a group role where everyone gets eject/ban powers and they can solve it that way.  If you live in a stacked-up situation not on a dedicated parcel (where you pay more) this is what you have to expect. 

In 12 years of running 3-4 apartment buildings I have had more problems from people installing their own security and blasting everyone away than I have had from any griefers, which aren't that frequent.

I only had one custom-built tower where the security was built into the elevator and doors which worked ok but people got annoyed when they tried to invite friends over. And if an intruder wants to cam and sit through the wall, he can. 

Another thing I've done is put dedicated lots next to the building, small ones, for small skyboxes. Each floor gets a teleporter to a skybox at spaced levels so that setting security isn't an issue even at 20-30 meters.

• Like 1

Old fashioned Lag-Tech Griefer Orbs that use the llSensor script command, tend to whrk in spheres, and make this sort of thing a pain, target in sphere, grief with scripted kick...

Newer Griefer Orbs that use llGetAgentList, are more likely to be scripted to check the 'defined box' and thus *could* be apartment friendly.

Simplest way is stick the block on it's own parcel, with group only access, and make sure the tenants can add their guests to the group, and just don't worry if they sit-tp into each others appartments, just pretend they are like one of those TV sitcoms where the people from across the hall are always on your damn sofa.

ps. This does require landlords to buy security devices made this decade... :) 

• 1 year later...
You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2032 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.