Donmcybertect

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2517 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

Okay, I'm in my skybox with an Inverse sculpt. I have a transparent box slightly above the surface of the sculpt. If I click on the surface my avatar walks to the spot and stops but the animation doesn't. I've tried adjusting the hover height and that makes no difference. I know it's probably a newbie mistake but I haven't been able to find any reference.

2 answers to this question

I suggest not using the "click to walk" option.  I know it's popular in some other worlds, but not so much here in SL.  (In fact, I would bet that most SL residents are not even aware that it exists.)  The problem is that a great many objects in SL are scripted to respond in some way if you click on them.  The "click to walk" option works reasonably well on the ground, unless you happen to click on some transparent obstacle, but it could be problematic in a building.  In your particular case, I suspect what's happening is that your click identifies the position of your transparent prim, but may just as easily click through and identify the root of the skybox itself.  Especially if there are any scripts in either one, you'll get unpredictable results.  So, instead of "click to walk", use the arrow keys on your keyboard (or WASD if you have configured Preferences that way).

• Like 1

Look in the top menu, Me->Movement->Stop Animating Me. This kills all animations affecting the avatar.

Rolig is right. The double-click-walk-to can be a pain. I use the WASD keys and steer with my mouse, so usually W and mouse left-click-drag. I use the double-click for teleport-to. It is handy for getting out of walls and mountains on a bad teleport or when I fall through something.

3D things in-world have a bounding box. This box is what the physics engine uses to calculate collisions, in other word to figure out what you are standing on. The box and what you see are seldom the same. It can be confusing. So, if something isn't working as you expect... you have some idea of what to suspect.

Also, clicks on things can get confused by transparency. The viewer may decide you clicked on something behind a transparent object. Your avatar runs into the transparent object on the way to the click-destination behind it... never getting there it never stops walking. Touching the S (or down arrow) key to backup usually stops the walk.

• Like 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2517 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.