Makeup Textures on Fiore Bento Mesh Head will not render properly!

MissSophie Menna

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2513 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

Hi, 

I am having an issue with my Fiore Bento Mesh Head, Alura that I recently purchased. For some odd reason, the makeup layers onto the head are extremely blurry when applying Lipstick or Eyeshadow to the head, but everything else seem to work perfectly. I am using a Macbook Air 13 inch laptop and I never seemed to have any issues with rendering before regarding any other mesh by Fiore or another creator. Also, I have been looking for the answer regarding this issue and has tried everything such as using the Debug settings within the Advanced menu. With that being said, I have found other threads talking about issues with texture blurriness but nothing regarding a mesh head. I have tried to play around with RenderTextureMemoryMultiple TextureFetchConcurrencyand MeshMaxConcurrentRequests. Also, i have attempted to higher my Texture Memory Buffer in the hardware settings which for me, was set to 512 by default but i move it to its highest which is 768mb. I did find a solution to this issue.. and the only thing that seemed to work was the debug setting TextureLoadFullRes to TRUE, but i turned it off because i did not want to risk any further issues regarding my experiences on Secondlife Firestorm viewer or any memory damage it could cause. Here is a picture with how the textures look onto my lips as I apply the lipstick applier:

https://gyazo.com/7e470fb1433734a19a614a3b15ef0ea3

With that being said, I have tried to texture refresh my head numerous amounts of times, and clear cache multiple times. I literally have tried everything. 

Here is a picture of what the texture looks like once i enabled TextureLoadFullRes to TRUE: 

https://gyazo.com/5a2d0048979e5f4da3f92c884ad4f755

This has been the ONLY debug setting that I have used that actually fixed the problem. Unfortunately, I will not use it because it is not recommended. 

Please, if anyone can help me with this issue it would mean a lot because I have tried everything and nothing has seemed to work! 

Thank you

9 answers to this question

Well MeshMaxCuncurrentRequests apparently does nothing now according to a recent post.

Is it JUST the weekend? It is a holiday weekend in the US so it is very likely the staff is lower than usual. It could clear up on its own. I have seen that on my Lelutka head a time or two and it always worked itself out. 

Good luck. 

18 hours ago, MissSophie Menna said:

Hi, 

I am having an issue with my Fiore Bento Mesh Head, Alura that I recently purchased. For some odd reason, the makeup layers onto the head are extremely blurry when applying Lipstick or Eyeshadow to the head, but everything else seem to work perfectly. I am using a Macbook Air 13 inch laptop and I never seemed to have any issues with rendering before regarding any other mesh by Fiore or another creator. Also, I have been looking for the answer regarding this issue and has tried everything such as using the Debug settings within the Advanced menu. With that being said, I have found other threads talking about issues with texture blurriness but nothing regarding a mesh head. I have tried to play around with RenderTextureMemoryMultiple TextureFetchConcurrencyand MeshMaxConcurrentRequests. Also, i have attempted to higher my Texture Memory Buffer in the hardware settings which for me, was set to 512 by default but i move it to its highest which is 768mb. I did find a solution to this issue.. and the only thing that seemed to work was the debug setting TextureLoadFullRes to TRUE, but i turned it off because i did not want to risk any further issues regarding my experiences on Secondlife Firestorm viewer or any memory damage it could cause.

For whatever reason, the texture is not completely loading/rendering.

Textures in SL are stored as JPG2000 a multi-resolution file format. That just means they have a low rez, medium rez, and full rez version stored in the same file. That you can enable TextureLoadFullRes and see the full render tells us the texture properly downloaded. So, clearing the cache is just slowing you and everyone else.

Increasing texture memory is always a good thing to do. In general the only visible effect it has is to reduce texture thrashing, the render, go blurry, render, repeat endlessly.

Changing TextureLoadFullRes is not going to damage your computer or break SL. It will affect your viewer performance and slow scene render. The viewer will wait for the entire JPG2000 file to download. "Wait" may be accurate, but the viewer will request the entire file rather than just the part it needs and that slows things down.  You should not Have To change it. I suggest you save some graphics-settings-presets. Check to see that the value of this Debug Setting is saved. Have a preset with it enabled. Have it disabled in your other normal settings. Switch back and forth as needed.

Mesh heads tend to have really high polygon counts, meaning they can be really slow to load. Mesh heads also use Level Detail (LoD) rendering. Meaning at certain distances different meshes render. SL provides 4 levels; high poly, medium poly, low poly, and lowest poly. Some designers are weak in making LoD versions. Those that depend on the viewer-upload to optimize and create their LoD levels usually have problems. So, this may be more a problem with the mesh than the texture.

The less knowledgeable designers tell you to set LoD to 4. Bad move as it slows you and everyone else. You don't need to try it as your closeups show you have forced the highest LoD to load, at least it should have. With the FullRes enabled you can see it correctly... so that isn't you problem.

I suggest trying different viewers and seeing if it is a viewer related problem.

You don't mention having tried asking in Firestorm Support in-world. I suggest you see if they can help. Their wiki has a page on Slow Rez. You may have  to check your connection. A good Internet does not mean you have a good connection to the SL servers.

Thank you for your help!

How exactly do I have multiple saved presets regarding my graphic settings? Also, I will try and reduce my LoD factor to medium poly, or low poly to see if that helps. Also, with the mesh it could be the issue because I have previous Fiore mesh heads that are not Bento and I also have the Genesis Lab Bento Mesh heads and have never encountered this issue before. So with that being mentioned, I will look into maybe trying a different viewer? Do you have any viewers you could Suggest for Mac and that are Bento updated? Thanks! Also, I like the idea of using TextureLoadFullRes and switching between enabling and disabling the Debug setting I believe that would most likely fix the issue with the rendering issues. I do have a fast Internet and good connection but I am unsure on how to check if they connect well with the SL servers.. I believe so.  o.O Lastly, I will try and ask Firestorm Support in-world and see if that can benefit my issue. I did look at their wiki page regarding Slow Rez but it did not specify exactly what type of computer was being used and I believe it were issues that helped with PC Windows computers and it did not mention Mac's. 

Edited by MissSophie Menna

Yes I believe so. I had a few people look at my head specifically and noticed it did rezz in eventually. But for me I can't seem to get mines to rezz in at the full quality of the lipstick texture applier. 

Edited by MissSophie Menna
I believe i fixed the issue! Had help with Firestorm Support :)

2 hours ago, MissSophie Menna said:

Thank you for your help!

How exactly do I have multiple saved presets regarding my graphic settings? 

In the Linden and Firestorm viewers look in the upper right corner. In Linden there is an icon that looks like a monitor. You use it to save settings or select a preset to use. Firestorm is similar.

In Preferences->Graphics there is an option to save settings into a preset.

I will look into maybe trying a different viewer? Do you have any viewers you could Suggest for Mac and that are Bento updated? 

There are some good Third Party viewers. Firestorm is the most popular. About 3/4 of SL users are using it.

Other 'official' viewers are listed here: http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Linden_Lab_Official:Alternate_Viewers These are RC versions that have varous fixes. Other than the AssetHTTP I doubt any will help with your problem.

Third-Party Viewers are listed here: http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Third_Party_Viewer_Directory

There is also the Cool VL Viewer which has a long history and good reputation. The author is a grumpy old guy :P that refuses to do the paperwork the Lab wants to be on the list.

I do have a fast Internet and good connection but I am unsure on how to check if they connect well with the SL servers.. 

I suggest this: http://blog.nalates.net/2011/10/26/troubleshoot-your-sl-connection/

I doubt yours is a connection issue. A quick check is to open the Viewer Statists Panel (Ctrl-Shift-1) and look at Packet Loss. 0% is ideal. The higher the % gets the more problems you'll have. 1% and below is very livable. Above 3% things get bumpy.

I've have textures rez slowly using Firestorm. But, usually within 5 to 10 minutes they are good. So, I am not sure why this one texture is being a pain.

0.1% is not so bad. I've played with higher losses.

At this point, there is no apparent, at least to me, reason for it not to rez. 

You might try checking the size of the texture used in the lipstick.

Select an item you think may be using a number of large textures. A simple right click on it will do. Then press Ctrl-Alt-Shift-T. This will send a series of notifications. You will get a list of the textures used in the item as a list ordered by each object in a link set. The notifications tell you the size of the texture and which face it is applied to.

You may have to setup your head, take it off, then rez it on the ground to do this. You should get a list of the textures and the sizes. 

The only idea I have is that you are filling up your texture memory. If so, as your card tries to optimize it may see a large texture being applied to a few number of pixels and drops its priority to the point it never renders. You can go to a Linden region (furball) with few things and few textures then take off huds and other mesh items to see if the lips will consistently rez.

Otherwise, I'm out of ideas.

I do see mesh heads that are very slow to render. I see those spooky awful heads that are just eyes and teeth. I haven't checked the brand on them. I suspect these are mesh heads with lots of onion skin facial expressions, meaning lots of polygons to download and render.

If you haven't talked with the maker of your head, do so. See if they have any ideas. In any event they need to hear of the problem.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2513 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.