Shoes w/ Feet Issue

LittleMe Jewell

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2608 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

While I now wear mostly mesh clothing and hair, mesh body parts still confuse me a bit.  I do not have a mesh body and only recently got some cheap mesh feet to start playing with.  Before I took my long SL break, I had a few solid sets of pumps that worked for almost everything and so I wore those just about all the time - I'm not much of a shoe person and so those few pair were good enough for me.  I never even really messed around much with the shoes that came with feet - don't know if those are sculpties or mesh or a bit of both.   However, even though I now have some mesh feet to play with, my inventory does have a few of the shoe/foot pairs that I'm just now checking out - and some are really cute shoes, so I don't just want to trash them if I can make them work.  I put a few pair on this morning and managed to get the skin color matched up fairly well, but the top of the shoe/foot has me a bit confused - on all pairs.  It is too wide at the top and I'm not sure if I can (or should) try resizing them or if they are specifically designed for fatter legs and therefore I'd have to increase my leg size.  This picture shows what I'm talking about.

temp.thumb.jpg.b8d36ea25cc468f14078be24ab909d8f.jpg

19 minutes ago, Penny Patton said:

Looks like unrigged or pre-fitmesh feet with a blend layer . Unfortunately, unless the creator made a fitmesh update there's not much you can do.

Your best bet is probably to stick with shoes made specifically for your mesh feet.

Damn.  Okay, thanks.

You can just take off the mesh feet while you wear these shoes. You don't really need to wear both together if your shoes have feet built in. 

Check to see if the shoes have a resizer - it's usually activated simply by clicking them. If they do, you can try sizing them down a bit. However, if you're trying to wear them over top of your mesh feet, making them smaller may make your feet poke through, which is one reason I recommend taking off the feet. If they don't, and they're not rigged mesh, you can attempt to resize them manually. MAKE A COPY FIRST. Then right click and edit. If they are no-copy, I don't suggest this.

59 minutes ago, Ariel Vuissent said:

You can just take off the mesh feet while you wear these shoes. You don't really need to wear both together if your shoes have feet built in. 

Check to see if the shoes have a resizer - it's usually activated simply by clicking them. If they do, you can try sizing them down a bit. However, if you're trying to wear them over top of your mesh feet, making them smaller may make your feet poke through, which is one reason I recommend taking off the feet. If they don't, and they're not rigged mesh, you can attempt to resize them manually. MAKE A COPY FIRST. Then right click and edit. If they are no-copy, I don't suggest this.

I don't have my mesh feet on. I'm simply wearing the shaper, alpha and shoes/feet that are in the package over my classic av feet.

They actually do have a resizer - they just apparently also have a spot on them that for some reason didn't trigger the script when I clicked it, so I just thought they didn't.  I will make a copy and play with that a bit.  Thanks.

Edited by LittleMe Jewell

3 hours ago, Penny Patton said:

Looks like unrigged or pre-fitmesh feet with a blend layer .

Per a notecard in the package, it is Sculptie - or at least most of it.  When I edit it, I think the top ankle part maybe looks like some mesh I've seen before in edit mode.

temp.jpg.3240c773c39543e8a5a9e7f38946c4e8.jpg

6 minutes ago, HarrisonMcKenzie said:

Sounds like it's made for fatter legs. I had mesh feet a little while ago, and I had a similar problem because my leg scales were off.

Out of curiousity, I did play with my shape a bit, but I couldn't get anything to size up enough to match that wide opening.  

<sigh>

When I still had a system avi, I generally avoided shoes without some sort of strap around the ankle at the top, which made the mismatch in size (and color) less noticeable. For these I am thinking the best solution is to wear pants.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Talligurl said:

When I still had a system avi, I generally avoided shoes without some sort of strap around the ankle at the top, which made the mismatch in size (and color) less noticeable. For these I am thinking the best solution is to wear pants.

I'm not even sure when or how I got these -- very likely a freebie group gift or from a hunt, since I wasn't wearing this type of shoe when last I was in SL.  I did manage to get a decent skin match, but due to that odd fitting at the top, they will have to get sent to the "jeans only" folder.  Tis unfortunate since I like them and seldom ever wear jeans in SL.

I've since found more shoes like this in my inventory.  What a shame.

• Like 1

If you really like the shoes you might want to try out some anklets https://marketplace.secondlife.com/products/search?utf8=✓&search[category_id]=&search[maturity_level]=GMA&search[keywords]=anklet they might mask the gape or at least make it less obvious, if they aren't rigged you could move them up your leg see what difference that makes 

• Like 1

I ended up sending the creator a notecard with a picture - just to make sure I wasn't missing something obvious about them.  She didn't say anything specifically about that part of the ankle, but she sent me a new pair with that part removed.  I didn't have the heart to tell her that I have about 10 more pair from her that all have that same issue.  I wish they were modify so I could just remove that section myself.  Oh well, I did get a fixed version of this pair.

The body thickness setting in edit appearance mode will make your ankles fatter however most dont want to change that. I had the same issue with some older shoes back when I wore a classic av as well. All I ever found was to raise the position of the shoe a little to blend it with your ankle / calf, unfortunately some have to be raised too high and then the lower leg doesn't look in proportion to the rest of the body. 

2 hours ago, Zsigmond Alcott said:

All I ever found was to raise the position of the shoe a little to blend it with your ankle / calf, unfortunately some have to be raised too high and then the lower leg doesn't look in proportion to the rest of the body. 

Yeah, this would be the problem.  I tried raising it and the shoe ends up roughly where the middle of the shin should be.  And my avi actually does have some body fat.  I don't understand how anyone could have every properly worn the shoe and not experienced what I did

30 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

I don't understand how anyone could have every properly worn the shoe and not experienced what I did

I suspect that whoever did wear that shoe resized it down so the ankle blend section fitted properly, and - thanks to that - ended up walking around with feet that were far too *small, proportionate to their avatar. (Assuming, of course, there's some kind of resize script option in the shoe, since you said they were generally no-mod.)

*Shoe-to-body proportion is a thing I'm very much aware of, being a guy who occasionally wears heels. Sometimes, no matter how much I size up a pair of heels, the foot is too small to possibly be that of a man wearing them. If it's not too great a difference I'll sometimes let it go, but if it's really obvious then those shoes go in the trash.

Edited by Skell Dagger
  • Like 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2608 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.