How can I get a refund on marketplace for false goods?

JobsFox

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4061 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

I recently bought an item on full perm that turned out not to be full perm. It turns out that their entire range is like this and that they are deliberately defrauding people on a massive scale. Basically they advdertise all their items as having transfer perms and they don't.

https://marketplace.secondlife.com/stores/31119

This is the item I bought

https://marketplace.secondlife.com/p/Treasured-Cove-Display-Pack-2-Sculpt-Map-Package/867022

I am a British citizen and I am officially returning these goods under the Consumer Protection Act. How will Linden Labs ensure that these regulations are enforced?

10 answers to this question

It's even advertised on the image as being full perm.

And yet they specify in their 'terms and conditions' (smallprint) that they aren't selling full perm...

This applies to hundreds of items that they are selling....

I'm not so concerned about my 500L as all the poor people that are getting ripped off here...

Do you mean:

"Objects that are created using the sculpts maps may not under any circumstances be transferred to another avatar with both copy and transfer permissions enabled. Only copy, only transfer, copy & modify, OR transfer & modify is acceptable but NEVER Copy, Modify & Transfer OR Copy & Transfer." ?

Yes, but they don't give you the option to transfer in any form. Transfer is disabled when you receive it.

I wanted to use these for my affiliate stores as copy only.

I wouldn't mind adhering to terms and conditions, provided an item was as advertised.

Well, the text basically means: "Dont give an item created with them with copy + trans enabled" It says nothing about the sculptmap itself being notrans.

This might also be unbeknownst of the crestor thinking, that setting the map to notrans ensures his policy...

I would try to contact, and if no contact after a few days, ticket it.

• Like 1

Are you sure that you have not misunderstood what is being sold?

In that pack I would expect to receive:

10 sculpt maps (full perms)

No textures or shadow maps.

Example textured prims using the maps (probably copy only perms)

What exactly did you receive? If it was what is listed above, the seller has done nothing wrong.

The first step would be to contact the creator.  Create a notecard, and "nicely" explain the situation.  Copy the transaction from your account history and paste it on the card, include your name and the date.  Send the creator a "nice" im and also pass them the notecard with all the detail.  You might find it was a misunderstanding or a mistake and can be happily and easily resolved. 

If you receive no response within 48 hours or not satisfied with the response you do get: flag the item and you can try filing a ticket...have not heard of LL getting involved with resident disputes, but worth a try

This is a residents' forum and not a means of contacting Linden Lab, we can't help (directly) with such issues, only give you advice.  Linden Lab will also not normally get involved in inter-resident disputes.

However ... LL do involve themselves in cases of fraud and it's being sold through their platform so their have some liability (not much)..  As the others have recommended try to contact the creator/seller of these items and establish if it was just a mistake or misunderstanding.  If not then, yes, you can flag their items.  Misrepresentation is fraud.

While LL are a US company and the prevailing jurisdiction is Californian your British rights still allow you to bring an action in the UK courts.  If you really want to take the legal route the first step is to have your solicitor contact LL requiring the vendor's RL contact details.  You then sue them for either breach of contract or misrepresentaiton of goods.

Good luck with that, especially if they don't feel like popping over to the UK in order to be taken to court.

Check uot very carefull that what you see is what you want. Sometimes the permitions might refere to the box, not to what you rezz from it. Check out the 'features' and 'contents'. I recently both a narghile that is not functional (it is only decorative) and I can't do anything about because the merchant didn't say that I can't smoke with it.

If possible, try a demo.

If the merchant's description is not coplete, the only thing you can do is to add a review, so other residents will know the problem. Of course, you can flag the item, report to LL or even to any institution in the US, You will probably get the information of that product modified, maybe that item will no longer be for sale, maybe that merchant will vanish (as a merchant or as a resident), but it will be nearly impossible to get your money back.

SL, in your case, is like a web hosting site, that cannot be hold responsable for materials posted by its users. The users are responsable for the content, but there is no way to find them in real life and force them to pay.

Good luck!

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4061 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.