how to buy new land and sell the old land

Sylvia Wasp

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2520 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Okay, so a really generic post title eh?  

The specifics are this:

I'm a premium member on the 4096 tier and while I'm not at the max allowed, I'm pretty close.  What I'm thinking of doing is buying a new piece of land in a different sim and selling the old land so that my tier fees will remain the same, right?  

However ... the Linden rules on Billing say:

"The Land Use Fee is a monthly charge for the peak amount of land held during the previous 30 days, including actual parcels held and land tier donated to groups."

So if that's true, no one can actually change their land or move, without paying essentially DOUBLE tier for that month.  Taken literally, it means that even if I only own the double land for a minute or two, I'm still paying DOUBLE for the whole month?  

Is this true?  It seems like a HUGE problem.  It seems like it would contribute to low land sales.  In fact, it seems COMPLETELY UNFAIR in every way for me to pay double tier just because I want to move.  I'm having a hard time believing this is true or that it makes any sense. 

Any advice is welcome. 

Sylvia 

Yes, true.

Sell old land first OR pay for an extra month.

Been there :D.

AND if you sell your land and forget to "turn down" your land allotment in web back end, you are still charged (or at least you used to be) when you don't have any actual land (been there too). That won't affect YOU though.  

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Chic Aeon said:

Yes, true.

Sell old land first OR pay for an extra month.

Been there :D.

AND if you sell your land and forget to "turn down" your land allotment in web back end, you are still charged (or at least you used to be) when you don't have any actual land (been there too). That won't affect YOU though.  

Hmmm ... 

Thanks for the reply and I will take your word for it but this sounds SUPER "scammy."  If a realtor did this in RL they might go to jail, lol.  

How about if I "abandon" the land I currently own first?  

I'd still be losing a HUGE chunk of money for no reason other than Linden greed, but the tier would never go higher than it currently is if the land parcels are equal, no?  or does LL find a way to charge you for that too? :)

Edited by Sylvia Wasp

If you abandon your land before buying the new land then you would only have ever "owned" 4096 at any time, so your tier would not increase.  But  you loose the value of your land of course. The only real way to get things to work well for you (that means anyone), is to sell the land you currently own (selling cheaply usually works quickly even now) and THEN buy your new land. 

You would of course be homeless for awhile but you can take up your stuff in coalesced groups of objects and it is easy enough to plunk them down later. 

All up to you and yes, The Lab does make a lot of money on this process. And yes, this is one reason that some folks prefer private land. I have lived in both, currently on mainland. My group has had some small lots of ohsomanyyears and I rent ------

and THAT might be a possible answer for you. You could rent a plot to plunk your stuff down on between moving. Of course if you found THEEEEEEE LOT of your dreams, then you just do what you think is best.  

I can't actually remember if mainland sales always worked this way. I do remember when they added the very confusing (yes I have no land but I might want to buy some and so "of course" I want to keep paying tier just in case" option (yes, that was sarcastic LOL).  I was floored when I got a bill and didn't own any land :D.  I think I got caught one way or another three times.  I suspect that I am not alone. YOU at least read the rules (good for you) before buying. 

First thing I'd do is contact the others on the sim to see if they'd like to buy your land, for a bit less than the typical price in that area.  If so, they might be willing to let you wait to actually do the sale until you find something to buy.  Then you go searching and when you find what you want, you gather up your objects, sell the current and buy the new.

Or if you do end up with time between parcels but you don't want to rent, there are various places that will let you set your home there.  The Forum Cartel inworld location lets members set home and there is a private changing room up in the sky.

• Like 1

On 5/27/2017 at 4:12 PM, Sylvia Wasp said:

Okay, so a really generic post title eh?  

The specifics are this:

I'm a premium member on the 4096 tier and while I'm not at the max allowed, I'm pretty close.  What I'm thinking of doing is buying a new piece of land in a different sim and selling the old land so that my tier fees will remain the same, right?  

However ... the Linden rules on Billing say:

"The Land Use Fee is a monthly charge for the peak amount of land held during the previous 30 days, including actual parcels held and land tier donated to groups."

So if that's true, no one can actually change their land or move, without paying essentially DOUBLE tier for that month.  Taken literally, it means that even if I only own the double land for a minute or two, I'm still paying DOUBLE for the whole month?  

Is this true?  It seems like a HUGE problem.  It seems like it would contribute to low land sales.  In fact, it seems COMPLETELY UNFAIR in every way for me to pay double tier just because I want to move.  I'm having a hard time believing this is true or that it makes any sense. 

Any advice is welcome. 

Sylvia 

I'm going to be moving soon in real life. Odds are I will have apartments in two different states for a portion of July. My current apartment complex doesn't prorate. Guess who is almost certainly  going to be "paying DOUBLE for the whole month?"

MEEEE!!!

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2520 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.