Scripted control of 'Preferences' settings in Viewer 2

Xilin Yifu

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4752 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hi All,

I was wondering if there is a way to control preference settings in Viewer 2 via scripting? For example, when my students view Chinese characters in an IM or in general chat based on the standard default settings, the characters are too small. I could get them to go into 'Preferences' / 'Chat' and then change the font size from medium to large, but with 130 students it is a time consuming task when they should be focusing on the lesson content.

I have made a multi-purpose HUD that can a number of things that makes their learning experience easier, such as adding a button that sets their camera in a particular way so that their cameras are not affected when in small spaces. All they have to do is click the camera icon on my HUD and select from a popup menu and it's done. I would like them to be able to do the same with font size and maybe other settings like draw distance.

Any leads would be hugely appreciated.

Xilin Yifu

I don't think there's any way with LSL to control viewer settings, though I'm open to correction.    The only way I know in most cases for scripted objects to control your viewer settings -- as opposed to the behaviour of what's effectively an in-world object normally controlled from your viewer, like your camera -- is to use a specially compiled viewer (like RLV, which won't be any help here) with an API you can access with LSL functions such as llOwnerSay().

Hi Innula and Void,

Thank you both very much for your suggestions.

I tried out Void's suggested approach and it worked well for the LL viewer I tested. Now I am going to see if our IT people can add the extra setting into the Viewer 2 shortcut before they push the software + shortcut out to the computers in our computer lab. If they can, this will certainly be a big improvement on our current situation.

Thank you both very much for taking the time to respond.

Cheers,

Xilin

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4752 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.