Jet losing altitude & disappearing at 30% flying

ral61

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2513 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

As I jet takeoff from a airport, put up landing  gear, and set direction by compass; I see a possible complete flight plan flying at 30% speed.

Then the trouble starts, I lose altitude until the plane in water some flights. The plane "disappears" in mid-flights. Does this happen even with excess scripts off, complexity down and and flying at 30% low speed? or is my address off with the grids sim to cause these crashes? Is the "lag" placed on sims to cause crashes?--- The all of sudden crashes look suspicious to say someone is "behind" them and cause them. Some flights I complete while others land up in water or "disappear".

5 answers to this question

If you fly over land where flying or scripts are not allowed, you may have usual results including lag and crashing.  Also, vehicles crossing region boundaries may often expect to have moments of chaotic behavior, especially if you fly into regions where the servers are busy handling other tasks (lots of avatars, physical objects, etc.).  It's quite normal.

On 5/27/2017 at 10:47 AM, ral61 said:

As I jet takeoff from a airport, put up landing  gear, and set direction by compass; I see a possible complete flight plan flying at 30% speed.

Then the trouble starts, I lose altitude until the plane in water some flights. The plane "disappears" in mid-flights. Does this happen even with excess scripts off, complexity down and and flying at 30% low speed? or is my address off with the grids sim to cause these crashes? Is the "lag" placed on sims to cause crashes?--- The all of sudden crashes look suspicious to say someone is "behind" them and cause them. Some flights I complete while others land up in water or "disappear".

When you cross a region border, what actually happens is your airplane stops dead while the handoff from one region to another takes place. In order for this to look less jarring, your viewer keeps drawing the airplane as if it was moving the same direction and speed as it was when the region crossing started. Normally the region crossing is completed and the viewer gets updated information for the actual position of the plane.

If you're flying at a constant speed and elevation this can be almost seamless. However, if you start descending and are descending when you hit the border the viewer will assume your plane is still descending. If the region handoff is slow, the viewer will draw the plane descending until it appears to hit the water.

If you disappear this means that the region handoff couldn't be completed properly for some reason so your airplane never arrives in the new region. However, the region you're leaving still thinks the plane has left and no longer tells your viewer to draw it, so after a bad handoff your plane will be in neither region and disappears from your viewer.

This happens all the time and there's almost no chance that something that someone is deliberately doing maliciously is the cause of it.

• Like 1

If you are flying, sailing, driving a car, or a horse... any vehicle in SL you can do a number of things to make region crossing better.

• Reduce scripts, the less the better
  • Remove your AO
  • Wear as little as possible;
  1. instead of mesh, use system clothes
  2. don't use a mesh body
  3. take off all jewellry
  4. take off your shoes
  5. take off your hair and use a simple, low complexity cap
  6. remove ears, genitals, mesh eyes,
  • Always fly with your minimap up
  • try to cross each border in a straight line, no turns
  • try to cross each border at 90°
  • keep your speed below 30 knots (not 30%, look how many knots you travel at)

Doing this can really reduce the effects of rubberbanding, and also reduce the loss of your vehicle.

There is no "fraud", "scam" or "harrasment" in this problem. It's because SL is broken up into little 1/4 KM blocks of land, each on it's own server. When you cross a sim border all your scripts are stopped, the server sends you to the new one, and all your scripts are restarted, and all of your mesh and clothing reloaded. Only then, when all your attachments, mesh, and scripts are on the new server will you regain control.

If that can't happen before your vehicle crosses into the third simulator all sorts of crashes happen.

Edited by Callum Meriman
  • Like 1

Callum and the others have given you some great advice.

I would add that a useful aid in navigation is the "Ban Line and Parcel Full HUD" or a similar device, which can give you a heads up to avoid these hazards.  Also, try to fly over Linden Ocean or other public areas.  Flying at over 100m altitude will keep you clear of banlines.

And I will say that this is one of the reasons I seldom fly jets in SL.  Many of them go too fast for the servers to keep up, and tend to behave badly at region crossings as a result.  Helicopters, ultralights, and hot air balloons are much more reliable means of air travel in SL...and they give you more time to sightsee!

• Like 2

I am not a pilot myself, but I have flown as a passenger a lot, and I know a lot of pilots talk about the "weather". It would seem that on some days flying is more problematic than others all those difficulties that have been explained just seem more likely to cause trouble on these bad days. Pilot skill has a definite affect on whether you have a successful flight, and i imagine this like anything else comes with experience. There are some pilots who I find rarely have issues, while other have issues all the time. To me it is all part of the adventure, and whether I make it to the destination airport, or get dumped in the sea at some bad sim crossing I make the best of it.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2513 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.