Discussion: Selling Full Perm Scripts

gregwen71

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2495 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

So, I'm interested in other's thoughts on this subject.

My situation was this:
A person posted in a scripts group tonight about needing a scripter for paid work.  He wanted PMs if anyone was interested. So, i responded to him in a private message to see what he needed and if I had the time to do it.

He briefly explained the project and, for me, it wasn't a matter of time so much as it was a matter of very basic scripting that anyone else responding to him could/should have been able to do. At that point, I told him to come back around to me if he couldn't find anyone else, since I was headlong into a much larger project. I said that if he couldn't find anyone else, I'd take a break from the current project to knock out his project.  He needed his within 48 hours, so I figured I could get it done and back to my larger project.

As it happens, he did come back around to me and stated that he talked to a few other scripters and they couldn't do it for various reasons. A couple stated that they couldn't finish the script in 48 hours, which was crazy to me.. so I told the guy I'd get it done.  We discussed the project, agreed on a payment. I take 1/2 upon commission and 1/2 upon completion. He took it upon himself to pay me the full agreed amount rather than half. As well, instead of having me do the full requested script, he chopped it up into 3 steps and wanted work product at each step that he could begin using.  I didn't understand that, for such a quick turn around time, but.. he was the client, and it wasn't a terribly stupid request, so the client gets what he asks for.

I finished "Step 1" and sent it to him. My script was no-modify, of course. It's in my picks tabs that I don't sell full perm scripts unless specifically agreed to and compensated extra for the fact that I'm basically giving away any rights I have to the script.

So, this client sends me a message that the script was "looking good" and then asks,  "Can you toss the script full perm on me so that I can implement it already?".

I told him that I don't sell full perm scripts, and that if any editing needed to be done to the scripts, I would do them at no extra charge. (this is my standard procedure.. I do lifetime customer service, which includes minor editing. A requested major upgrade would not be free, however).

He then expressed that he thought the deal was that I would give him scripts full perm.  It was not, and not ever discussed.  He stated that he felt it was implied in the Non-Commercial, Private script request. He did state that the script would be non-commercial and private in usage. But nothing about full perm scripts was discussed. He then stated he was too tired to remember which scripter said what to him. (He apparently talked to quite a few).

After a bit of discussion where this guy went on a typing tangent and completely missed my willingness to work something out, he told me to keep the full  amount and cancel the job and he would find someone else to do the work. I gave him half the money back for half the project being completed.

So, after all that background, here is what I'm wondering from other programmers in SL. How do you handle Full Permission requests? 

I, personally, wouldn't do full permissions except for a trusted friend. Especially if it's a custom job... with one caveat... if I'm being asked to write a script that can easily be found in the LSL Script Library (i.e. not my work), I usually won't charge at all and I would give it full perm.

Anyway, your thoughts?

As a customer I would never pay someone to make a script without getting the source code. It's worthless without the source since I would always be dependant on this scripter if I ever need changes. So - no source no deal.

I'm a bit paranoid too and don't trust other scripters - I would always look through the script and check for surprises. :D 

From your point of view. What's the reason not to hand out the source? You get payed for your time and expertise and nothing else.
Do you want to force your customers to ask only you if they need changes?
Do you fear they make a million L$ with that script? That wouldn't be your business. If you think it's worth it make the million L$ thing yourself then.

However, you need to make an agreement about the source before you start working.

• Like 1

Firstly, the point of creating business is to create repeat customers. So, in short.. yes.. why would I ever want my client going to some other scripter to make edits to my scripts?

You buy a car.. but you're dependent on gas stations to be able to drive that car.
You could learn how to fix that car, but instead you are dependent on mechanics to do so. And many folks tend to have the mechanics at the car dealership (the people that sold them the car) be the ones to fix it, due to warranties.

So, it's not inconceivable for someone to be dependent on a certain scripter for their needs.. it's called being a client or customer.

Despite your exaggeration regarding a million L$, to take someone else's idea, decline the commission, and then to make it myself and sell it would be plainly unethical. I don't care how much money I could make from it, I'd rather have my integrity and clients that were happy to hire me.

First you speak of paranoia about what a scripter could do, as your reason for wanting source code, but then you suggest I screw a client by taking their idea and doing it for my own self. Ethics :-)

It is my business on whether someone sells my code as their own, it's called copyright infringement.  It's not a matter of how much they made with my code versus how much I made writing it for them. It's my job to protect my work, no one else's.

If I have not made an effort, through agreements, disclaimers, and notices to protect my rights, such as making it no-modify, then I have no case for infringement. If I give away source code, then I am stating that I have no rights to that code and have sold them to the client.

Someone who tells me they will not resell my work or claim it as their own and does so anyway, because I gave it to them as full perms and "they could get away with it".... well that's more likely to happen than me sticking some code in there that screws my client in some way. Doing anything of the sort would ruin my reputation and certainly ruin any business I want to achieve.

Chat History and Notecards are not legally binding contracts, so anyone can say anything, and completely negate the terms of agreement afterwards if they so chose. So.. me agreeing to give full perm scripts.. I'd do it.. but it would cost double the agreed commission of the script to give all my rights away, since there is very little beyond no-modify to protect my source code.

An example to end this post:

I am currently working on a major project, building something that everybody knows about, but no one is actually selling.  The folks that have a similar product all have "inhouse" scripters that have built the product for them. I have no idea how they've built the system or what features I'm building that may or may not be in their products. but what I do know is that there is not anything like it on Marketplace right now. At least not until next month when I release mine.

This pretty much makes my product the only publicly available one of it's kind. Now, why would I leave my scripts full perm? And if someone buys the product and then messages me wanting the source code.. I'd be super confused at their intelligence.  I currently have 2 clients waiting for this system and neither of them have a problem with my scripts being proprietary.

Clearly you and I would never be able to do business together, and that's ok. Our views contradict each other. What I'm getting is that you don't see any reason for copyright protection and feel that full ownership and rights to commissioned work should always pass to the buyer. I can give you many examples of how that is not true, but this post is too long already.

A car has absolutely nothing to do with scripts. Point.

Your ethics is irrelevant since I don't know you, that means I can make no assumptions about that. So I would always check scripts for unwanted stuff that is maybe built in.

If you make a script for someone else it's not your script since you just make it for someone else. It has nothing to do with IP rights. You can - of course - try to make it your way. As long as the customer agrees that's ok. But you need get an agreement about that before starting anything.

Sounds to me that your rates are too low and so you want to force the customers to be dependant of you so you can get a piece of the cake if anything ends in a successful product. That will leave the customer open for blackmail in case they need changes. That's exacly one of the reasons many customers want the source. You say there are no valid contracts in SL. Thats true but that applies always to both sides. There are agreements that make one or the other side of the contract open for all kinds of blackmail so it's important to always have options.

You sound like taking things personal, so I state here that I'm not talking about YOU - I'm only talking about the TOPIC.

And an explanation why I see things as I see them: I don't need a scripter, I could do all SL related things on my own. I'm not available for hire since I would take RL rates for spending my RL time and that's way too high for most SL projects. I have no plan to work for cents so I only "work" here for my entertainment. Money is much easier to make in RL. (for me - I'm aware that a few do well in SL)

4 hours ago, gregwen71 said:

Anyway, your thoughts?

Both of you should have communicated more clearly beforehand. The customer stating that they'd expect a full perm script as the end product and you could have pointed to your conditions, like "no mod as explained in the profile picks". 

To make that random car example more case-specific: if the client had intended to buy a whole car from you, you would have discussed its colour at some point. Otherwise, the client might expect to get a red car, while you might only sell blue ones. 

Personally, I don't trust in any "hit me up to fix your issues at any time" ... never worked for me. 

1 hour ago, Nova Convair said:

Sounds to me that your rates are too low and so you want to force the customers to be dependant of you so you can get a piece of the cake if anything ends in a successful product. That will leave the customer open for blackmail in case they need changes. That's exacly one of the reasons many customers want the source. You say there are no valid contracts in SL. Thats true but that applies always to both sides. There are agreements that make one or the other side of the contract open for all kinds of blackmail so it's important to always have options.

You sound like taking things personal, so I state here that I'm not talking about YOU - I'm only talking about the TOPIC.

Your entire response is full of erroneous assumptions. 

Firstly, I took nothing personal, but your constant posting of assumptions that you have no evidence backing is quite irritating. I'm all for healthy discussion, but time and again you've made assumptions with no evidence and then basically accused me of "wanting a piece of a pie that I don't deserve". I have already stated earlier that I do my maintenance/editing for free... There is no "hoping what they do is successful so I get a piece of that pie". So, no.. you are not talking about the topic

You also make the mistake of thinking that I have no clue what I'm talking about or doing. I am, actually, a freelance programmer in RL. I have been for over 10 years. Your assumptions couldn't be further from the truth.

It's fine that you keep making the same comment of me wanting to "force my customers to be dependent on me", I have a current client list of people that know that there is no truth to the idea that I want to force anyone to do anything. I posted a topic, wanted other people's thoughts on the subject matter. You've chosen to make this personal with your wrong assumptions about me, someone you know nothing about.

I've really got nothing left to say to you.

Edited by gregwen71

31 minutes ago, Lillith Hapmouche said:

.... you could have pointed to your conditions, like "no mod as explained in the profile picks". 

Actually, I did tell him to read my picks tab where it does clearly state that I don't do full perm scripts.  

I also told him to find another scripter and come back to me only if he wasn't able to find one.

In our full perms discussion he stated, "I found about 6 scripters, but they couldn't work in the necessary time frame. I actually dumped 2 almost-signed-deals for you." What he wanted, I had half the project done in 20 minutes. The second half would have taken 20 more.. and he apparently couldn't find scripters that could do it within 48 hours?

As I said in the original post, he mentioned nothing about his needs for full perms, and claims that he can't do anything with the script I gave him.. and yet, he was able to use the script and claimed it worked great. Then asked for a full perms script. He stated that he could only use a full perms script. Despite not saying a word about full perms, he states, "so I decided to delete the script that I have no use for in no mod".

And sorry to hear that people that have scripted for you haven't worked out in terms of maintenance. None of my customers have ever had a problem with that. -shrugs-

Never underestimate the power of stupidity, people saying they have read content they haven't read at all... 

Actually, I suppose the client is actually lying to you in one regard or another, besides failing to state the full expectations of the custom work. Either the script wasn't even tested, thus the client couldn't tell how well it may work, or he wasn't even in touch with other scripters and is making up that stuff. Or both.

But anyway, done deal. Time to shrug it off and move on.

I'm not going to comment on the rights and wrongs of the particular dispute between gregwen and his customer, except to say that it's a pity neither he nor the customer thought to specify beforehand what the permissions were to be.

However, on the general question about perms, I have always sold my custom scripts full perms, and charged accordingly.    As far as I'm concerned, the customer has paid for it, so it's the customer's to do with what she or he wants.    I do ask that my scripts be not resold full perms, but that's not really an issue because the sort of scripts I write are specific to a particular build and would need considerable adaptation to make them work in anything else.

My practice is identical to Innula's. I write full perm scripts for specific applications. I expect to get a written outline of what the client wants my scripts to do, and we have a fairly detailed discussion about potential modifications and foreseeable problems. Once I have given a script to a client, I will make limited changes to add unanticipated features or to accommodate concept evolution -- these things are almost inevitable -- but will expect to charge more for substantially new scripting.  As far as I am concerned, once a client has accepted the finished work, I have no further interest in it.  She may do whatever she wishes with it.  I do promise that I will not make the same scripts available to another client, as a matter of trust, and I hope that my client will not try to sell the scripts as her own work.  In most cases, though, it's unlikely that the scripts will be of much use to anyone else, since they are designed to work in the client's particular product or environment.  The quality of my work and personal integrity are my guarantees of repeat business.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Lillith Hapmouche said:

Never underestimate the power of stupidity, people saying they have read content they haven't read at all... 

Actually, I suppose the client is actually lying to you in one regard or another, besides failing to state the full expectations of the custom work. Either the script wasn't even tested, thus the client couldn't tell how well it may work, or he wasn't even in touch with other scripters and is making up that stuff. Or both.

But anyway, done deal. Time to shrug it off and move on.

I agree with this and I can own up to my error in expecting this person to read my picks tabs after I told him to do so.  
As well, him dumping 2 "almost signed deals" for me makes no sense to me when I told him to find another scripter and only return to me when he couldn't. 

26 minutes ago, Innula Zenovka said:

I'm not going to comment on the rights and wrongs of the particular dispute between gregwen and his customer, except to say that it's a pity neither he nor the customer thought to specify beforehand what the permissions were to be.

However, on the general question about perms, I have always sold my custom scripts full perms, and charged accordingly.    As far as I'm concerned, the customer has paid for it, so it's the customer's to do with what she or he wants.    I do ask that my scripts be not resold full perms, but that's not really an issue because the sort of scripts I write are specific to a particular build and would need considerable adaptation to make them work in anything else.

I appreciate your comment. And regarding the dispute, it's a lesson learned and I'm surprised I've gotten this far in SL with that never being a problem.
I respect your opinion on why you sell your scripts full perm. I don't completely agree with it, although I would sell full perm scripts based on those reasons in certain circumstance.

What pissed me off about this topic is that I only gave the background story regarding my client to provide context to the discussion. Then the question was posed others would handle selling, or rather the expectation of receiving, full perm scripts.

Instead of that question being focused on, my already-over-with dispute with my client became the topic instead of just being context to the question. I don't mind having debates and discussions with anyone about anything... what I do mind is being attacked in a veiled manner through false assumptions and accusations for absolutely no reason.

I have read a lot of discussions where people talk about copyright, intellectual property, etc.. and it still amazes me how much people don't know and keep making false statements as truth. One of my biggest pet peeves is someone who believes that because Intellectual Property contains the word Intellectual, that it means every idea you have is automatically copyrighted. It's not. Ideas are not protected. So saying to someone "It was my idea, I own it, I can do anything I want with those scripts" is a falsehood. It does not matter if it was your idea. 

Copyright law does not protect ideas (although patent law may protect a novel idea). Instead, copyright protects the perceptible capture of original ideas. The idea–expression divide differentiates between ideas and expression, and states that copyright protects only the original expression of ideas, and not the ideas themselves. This principle was codified by the Copyright Act of 1976, which governs current copyright laws. And while one may claim that different countries have different laws, International copyright law has become more standardized.

Copyright law protects the expression of said ideas and is protector for the creator of that expression. I.E. the programmer, not the idea-man.

Here's a quick question: Person A has an idea, but doesn't have the skills to put that idea into expression/creation, so they go looking for someone who does.  Person B who does not know Person A and has never met nor spoke with them, comes up with the same, or only slightly dissimilar, idea. They have the skills to do this themselves and they do so...  who has the rights of ownership?  This is a rhetorical question to illustrate my point.

Here's one more point.. people seem to think that programmers shouldn't take a stance on their works because in SL, anyone can learn how to script and there are plenty of free scripts. But, try asking a mesh creator for their DAE file.. because you know.. full perms should always include source files, and that's exactly what a .dae file is, or .obj... 

To end this discussion that basically went nowhere, I'm just going to say that nothing that has been said changes my mind about selling scripts as no-modify. In fact, the initial contributor to the discussion only reinforced why I feel people should protect themselves when dealing with creative works, as constantly bring up trust issues is usually a sign of not being worthy of trust.

2 minutes ago, Rolig Loon said:

The quality of my work and personal integrity are my guarantees of repeat business.

^^ This. This is what I stand by and the reason that almost all my clients come back to me (without being forced).

As for the rest of your post, I do pretty much everything  you've stated, and when a client wants work tailored to their needs, I"m find with doing that. I can also agree with not harassing a client on what they do with their scripts. But, one cannot trust a simple promise that a customer won't resell your scripts or claim them as their own when you give them full perms.

It's the same as releasing all rights to the work you've created. This is SL, and everyone knows it's not worth it to pursue legal action in most cases.. a broken promise or a broken "alleged" contract it simply means you, the scripter, got screwed in some way.  Now, there seems to be a lot of "I don't care what happens afterwards" going on. But, let's say you did gain a promise that there would be no reselling, claim of creation, or transfer to other people (through sales or otherwise).. and that promise was broken.  Would you care then? 

I don't know man, honestly, I think people, especially the long-timers in SL, pretty much threw out the rules of whats right and wrong and started making their own rules, and it's gone on for so long that now people accept it as "the way", while still trying to quote as if it's conceptually based in RL.  

I do proprietary work, and will give that work full perms knowing that my client has no intentions of anyone else getting their hands on the work.. but if that's not discussed, then any custom script I write is proprietary to me, not my client. 

Have a good day, folks.

19 minutes ago, gregwen71 said:

What pissed me off about this topic is that I only gave the background story regarding my client to provide context to the discussion. Then the question was posed others would handle selling, or rather the expectation of receiving, full perm scripts.

[...]

what I do mind is being attacked in a veiled manner through false assumptions and accusations for absolutely no reason.

Well, that escalated quickly on your end.

Your most prominent question was a rather broad "your thoughts?" at the end of the OP and that's what you got in response, both from scripters also answering the more specific "How do you handle Full Permission requests?" and from a consumer point of view. Apparently, you do not seem to like the different kind of replies for whatever reason and instead flip to some far-fetched "you insulted me" claims. OK.

But the attempt to educate Innula on copyright law was amusing to read at least, after all.

A consumer POV: If someone is paying for your time, they own the product of that time, full perm. If a you want  to retain permissions, don't charge for your time but for the no mod product. 

Rolig does all my scripting, and it is often a monumentally complicated process taking many hours/days of writing and tweaking and testing, and which when finished I can use as a template for many uses -- but only if I can modify it for those uses. It would be a huge inconvenience for both her and me if I had to ask her to do all those mods (which she will do if I can't figure it out). 

So if you are going to have a no-mod script business model, you need to make that very clear -- with a contract that spells out responsibilities and expectations. 

A word about trust: I trust when I send Rolig my products full perm that she is not going to go into the furniture business with my stuff, and she trusts I am not going to go into the script selling business. This is because both of us have a reputation for integrity. I would not do business with anyone who did not. 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, gregwen71 said:

But, let's say you did gain a promise that there would be no reselling, claim of creation, or transfer to other people (through sales or otherwise).. and that promise was broken.  Would you care then?

Not beyond a brief moment of disappointment.  I accept scripting work only if I find it interesting and, usually, if it presents some sort of intellectual challenge.  The money I am paid is certainly part of the deal, but my reward is having solved the scripting challenge.  Once I have done that, I lose interest.  If a client were to violate my trust -- it has never happened so far, to my knowledge -- I would simply not accept further work from him.  What's done is done, either way. 

1 hour ago, gregwen71 said:

I agree with this and I can own up to my error in expecting this person to read my picks tabs after I told him to do so.  

You've set your profile up so that it's impossible to read your picks tab, or even your general Second Life "Biography" information, if the person reading it is using a viewer that doesn't have the "legacy" profile option.

2 hours ago, gregwen71 said:

Fair enough.

The way I (or rather my scripter alt) handle situations like this is that I always make sure we've agreed about the permissions in advance. Both buyer and seller are equally responsible there and it only takes a few seconds of chat so it's no big deal.

3 hours ago, gregwen71 said:

But, one cannot trust a simple promise that a customer won't resell your scripts or claim them as their own when you give them full perms.

I honestly don't mind if my clients put their names on my scripts.    I don't need any additional business and, when I was taking on new work, my clients came to me because I'd been recommended to them.   I didn't look for work.

As to someone selling my scripts, I would be irritated if that happened, but it's not a big deal and it's not at all likely with the sort of scripts I write.   As I said, when people ask me to script things for them, it's usually for a large and complex project, and the scripts can't readily be re-purposed.   Indeed, anyone who can understand them sufficiently well to re-purpose them will almost certainly find it far faster and easier to write their own scripts from scratch.

I'm not telling other people they should emulate my practice -- I simply do what I find works best for me and my customers.  

• Like 2

i'm protective of my work sometimes, but there's a time and a place. these are microscopic Second Life scripts that will never fund a Rick Owens jacket. I think developing a higher level Scripting tool would be more relevant. Example: Playmaker for Unity 3D

that said, if they didn't request Full Perm from the start, they are taking advantage.

This has been an interesting read even though I am not a script writer. 

The bottom line as I see it -- is that a creator is EITHER selling a product (as the OP) or doing WORK FOR HIRE as Rolig and Innula do. I did work for hire in real life for many years (multimedia web). My clients got ALL the files and ALL the rights and could resell and or put their name on the product. The only option I kept was the one to show their contracted creation in my portfolio if I chose. I charged a LOT and I worked a LOT. 

On the OTHER hand, I have "written" only a couple of scripts in my mostly ten years and nothing all that complex. One I spent two hours in a class learning how and I did understand it and I have modified it over the years to do many things. I will NOT use that script in OpenSim because most anyone that wants to can make it full perm with almost no effort.  It is NOT an impressive script, but it FEELS like "mine" and I am keeping it to myself. 

So the only issue here for the OP is to be very clear next time in chat (with a log) that he doesn't do work for hire and that there will be no full perm products.  I do agree from the details given that something sounds a little fishy with the customer. I have had fishy customers too. I even refunded the full price of a custom job once just to get rid of one -- LOL. It was WELL worth it. 

So best to be CRYSTAL CLEAR next time and accept the episode as a lesson learned. However one wants to market their works -- it is their choice. Just better to not have miscommunications. I think most of the folks in this thread agree with that. 

• Like 3

If someone hired me to make a product for them, based on their idea, to do specific things, I would simply make it for them and give them full rights, as it was their idea and I was simply the "wrist", or executor of their design and idea. They'd get it all full perms.

I've got scripts I made that are no-mod simply because I put my hard work into them and I don't want someone to be able to claim it was their work just because I gave them a copy to use. If they want something to be changable, that's what config notecards are for. But if someone asks me specifically to write a script for them, it's theirs, because I wrote it for them.

I do feel that baking a pie for someone to eat or even sell shouldn't necessarily imply giving them your secret recipe along with it... The dilemma is that we're talking about pies with the recipe right there inside them, and there's more than one valid perspective on what it means to the people who are doing the work of baking the pies. At least one thing I've made and given to a friend has found its way to the MP, with someone else's name on it. But I can't get upset about that if I gave it away full perm. If I wanted to avoid this, I should have acted accordingly beforehand and protected my work (or play, if I want to be realistic about it).

I personally don't think there's anything wrong at all with treating a script as a product and keeping it proprietary and simply offering lifetime service on it IF the client or customer agrees to it (even if you made it expressly for them). If it's a question of whether you provide good and prompt service, that's what customer reviews are for. If you make it clear from the start, they can take you or leave you as a scripter depending on what they agree with. Different people do business differently, it's true.

Thing is, no matter how ethical you are, no matter what your work or business model, or how you feel about rights and whose they are, sooner or later a client is going to have an issue due to misunderstanding something, talking to too many people on the same subject when sleepy, or even simply changing their mind and deciding to be a butt about it rather than admit it. It happens.

While I do tend to be a lot more laid back about a lot of what I make for people, and often just give stuff out free or full perms because it didn't really take me all that much work to make it (I do this stuff because I enjoy it, even the frustrating parts), I have to admit I think Greg did the right thing by giving half the $L back. That was ethical. Keeping half for at least trying to do the job and fulfilling that much of the agreement, hey, perfectly fair, I'd have done the same. Having it in plain sight to read that you have certain conditions when it comes to hiring yourself out, that's also ethical. They can see right there that you do things this particular way, and if they don't accept that, they can find someone else to do the work. Personally, I'd rather give them the whole thing to own than have to keep going back and changing things for people, but then I'm not really in it for the $L, so naturally I'd see it differently.

The only real issue I can see at all is that there was miscommunication and it led to the unfortunate breakup of the deal, and there were bad feelings felt because of it. Learning from that and finding a way to make sure it doesn't happen again is probably the important thing, least from where I stand.

Edited by Berksey
OMG, I left out a whole WORD!

I tried to help someone once by doing a scripting job that was posted in help wanted, and the client

paid lindens and then started changing their mind about what they wanted as compared to the original project.

It was the last time i took on a project for a stranger for payment. Now i only do scripting for certain groups....

Burningman, SL Roller Derby etc, and i don't charge and all the scripts are full perm. I don't even ask for

any creative commons attribution to be included. For me, this is less stress or worry and it allows the scripts to be used

or shared with anyone. If you do scripting for a business, you should clearly define what you are selling, and what (if any)

kind of licensing is included with your scripts. Even with Creative Commons (CC), there are many alternatives,

and if the scripts are Not CC, there are prolly many more types of license, ...so good luck picking one you like :P

Edited by Xiija
  • Like 1

37 minutes ago, Xiija said:

I tried to help someone once by doing a scripting job that was posted in help wanted, and the client

paid lindens and then started changing their mind about what they wanted as compared to the original project.

It was the last time i took on a project for a stranger for payment. Now i only do scripting for certain groups....

Burningman, SL Roller Derby etc, and i don't charge and all the scripts are full perm. I don't even ask for

any creative commons attribution to be included. For me, this is less stress or worry and it allows the scripts to be used

or shared with anyone. If you do scripting for a business, you should clearly define what you are selling, and what (if any)

kind of licensing is included with your scripts. Even with Creative Commons (CC), there are many alternatives,

and if the scripts are Not CC, there are prolly many more types of license, ...so good luck picking one you like :P

Yep, I charged by the hour for those reasons LOL.   And I don't do custom work in SL.  $90 an hour is way different than 90 cents an hour :D. 

Ah the things we do for fun.  Honestly this isn't just about scripting, it floats over to all custom work. I applaud the folks that do custom work as it is needed. Just what I am trying to get away from.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2495 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.