LL Announced a Project to BAKE Textures on Meshes

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2505 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

16 hours ago, Theresa Tennyson said:

The Omega people are pretty sharp cookies and will probably find other niches to fill - there are a variety of other items that their knowledge of secure channels would be useful for.

They should actually profit from this since now everybody will need to buy new Omega appliers for the new baked texture fitted meshes.

I may not understand this project properly, but I make hundreds of Omega appliers. They are included with every gown I make.  I can't even begin to imagine what it would mean to have to convert all of those to a new system for me or other creators who use Omega extensively.

29 minutes ago, Arwen Serpente said:

I may not understand this project properly, but I make hundreds of Omega appliers. They are included with every gown I make.  I can't even begin to imagine what it would mean to have to convert all of those to a new system for me or other creators who use Omega extensively.

Appliers for clothing "onion" layers won't change at all, assuming the mesh makers still use them which I feel would be the logical course for a number of reasons.

For situations where you do want the gown texture to be directly on the body all you have to do is make an old-fashioned clothing item using your textures; then it will work for all bodies that use the default UV map (i.e. almost certainly all the bodies you support.)

Theresa, thank you, that helps a lot.  In my case, I include the classic clothing layers and the Omega appliers so that both classic and mesh avatars can use my clothing.  However, some creators stopped including the classic clothing layers when mesh bodies became so popular. For them, this could entail additional work if they have to go back and create them (obviously they have the texture, so that isn't the problem) and then rework their finished goods.

On 6/9/2017 at 9:27 AM, Medhue Simoni said:

Well, the reason I'm not for this, is because the current baking system doesn't do this now. It's 1 thing to get the current system to work on meshes, but it's a whole other project to get materials into the baking system. It would add another whole level of complexity to it all. And.... it would likely double or triple the development time, as well as introduce many more bugs to the whole system.

Now, after the baking project has accomplished it's stated goal, then LL could create a NEW project to accomplish adding materials to it.

If LL said this was the plan, and had a history of following through with such long term development goals, I'd be all for it. But do you honestly believe this is what will happen?

If LL were that sort of company then none of the problems that shape my view on this matter would still exist in SL. Remember, since the introduction of mesh LL has had four opportunities to introduce a legacy-content-friendly solution to performance killing draw weight in SL by attaching a draw weight cap to a popular new feature and LL has declined to even consider the possibility all four times. As far as I can tell, they have no plans to address this problem in the future and even if they did they may not have an opportunity to do it in a way that would not affect legacy content. They recognize it's an issue. They seem to realize inflated hardware requirements and SL's reputation for bad graphics and low framerates are an obstacle, but they have apparently no intention of ever addressing the problem.

They have had one chance to address SL's obscenely high texture use, which is one of the biggest, if not the biggest, performance issue in Second Life, and declined to do so.

Every time they have an opportunity to address these issues, they decline. As a result, the problems get worse and worse.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2505 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.