Jump to content

*Fix Found* Dreaded error on upload, no solutions worked for me


You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1377 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Recommended Posts

"Material of Model is not a subset of reference material"

EDIT: I found a really odd fix I talk about in this hyperlink.

Here's some facts:

1 - I have uploaded MANY MANY models both rigged and unrigged before, never once got this error.

2 - I have searched for solutions, but literally none of the solutions apply to me.

3 - The model is not rigged.

4 - The model does not have many triangles/polygons. Less than 100 total vertices.

5 - The Textures/UV's are set correctly.

6 - There is only one LOD, I use SL's LOD thingie.

7 - The model has NO materials at all. See my reply to the post below this for clarification. I have uploaded dozens of models with zero materials before, no issues.

8 - I tried editing the dae file itself to change all references to materials to be the same, as some thread suggested, still did not work.

 

Please help me, this is the last piece of an avi I've been working on for 2 months. Every other part uploaded and works fine.

Edited by Zazaaji
Link to post
Share on other sites

I should think a model has to have at least one material assigned to it. Otherwise, how would you apply any textures to it, even if you managed to upload it? If all your other successfully uploaded models can have a texture applied to a face, then they all have at least one material.

Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Ivanova Shostakovich said:

I should think a model has to have at least one material assigned to it. Otherwise, how would you apply any textures to it, even if you managed to upload it? If all your other successfully uploaded models can have a texture applied to a face, then they all have at least one material.

To be honest, I don't know exactly how materials work in Blender 2.49. What I know is that in Object mode I hit Delete on all the materials until none are listed. Then I Unwrap the UV's and make the texture. Blender still shows it has no material at all, but textures work fine both in Blender and SL. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Ivanova Shostakovich said:

Unless Blender is putting some kind of default material in there when you export it, something mystical is happening. I think a guru is needed here, but they might all be asleep.

It might be doing that, but the problem is that I've done this technique many times before, and never once encountered or even heard of this issue prior to today. I don't mind waiting to fix it.

Link to post
Share on other sites

The two possible causes I've read about now are mismatched LOD material names and mismatched number of materials between LOD models. You have said you deleted all materials and let the client generate LOD levels. It's possible the uploader is getting confused and creating problems it's not equipped to accurately report.

Further things you can try:

1.  Explicitly assign one or more materials to the various faces of your models.

2.  Explicitly create your own LOD models, keeping material names among them consistent.

3.  Try uploading your model with (a) different client(s).

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Pamela Galli said:

When this happens I use search to see what the error could mean -- and it's not always even really related to materials. 

Right, hence why I specifically said point number 2, and why I listed tons of various things not relating to materials too.

 

14 hours ago, Chic Aeon said:

When in doubt, ask Google -- well of course. These might help:

 

http://www.leafillusion.com/2016/04/second-life-mesh-upload-error-material.html

That is also why I mentioned number 2. I have already found that thread and many others like it. Either their fixes did not fix it for me, or they never found a fix.

 

5 hours ago, Ivanova Shostakovich said:

The two possible causes I've read about now are mismatched LOD material names and mismatched number of materials between LOD models. You have said you deleted all materials and let the client generate LOD levels. It's possible the uploader is getting confused and creating problems it's not equipped to accurately report.

Further things you can try:

1.  Explicitly assign one or more materials to the various faces of your models.

2.  Explicitly create your own LOD models, keeping material names among them consistent.

3.  Try uploading your model with (a) different client(s).

 

1 - Have tried, did not fix.

2 - I honestly don't know how to make my own LOD's. None of my models are high details though, maybe between PS2 and PS3 in terms of detail. SL can easily handle them.

3 - Have tried on Firestorm, official SL viewer, and some other viewer. All failed. Also have tried on 3 different windows computers/laptops and even a Linux one. All failed.

 

5 hours ago, Pamela Galli said:

The other day I got the error on the high LOD. I figured out how to fix it, but it had nothing to do with materials.

The troublesome part of the model is not high LOD, it's very low. There are less than 100 vertices total. Also as the above poster kinda hinted at, just saying you fixed it without saying how is not very helpful to us. How did you do it?

Edited by Zazaaji
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Chic Aeon said:

You know, I hate to say this and I am not being facetious, but maybe it would just be simpler to start over. 

I have had to do that a few times. 

Considering it took me over 2 months at about 4-5 hours per day, not feasible.

Edited by Zazaaji
Link to post
Share on other sites

Ok, I found a REALLY odd solution for models that get this issue. It will only have potential to work for desired NON rigged models.

First of all, make a rigging for it. It can be absolutely any rigging that SL accepts, rigged to any part of it. Just make sure all the vertices are rigged, else you'll get that Parsing error. Try to upload it again, and it should work. Upload it as normal WITH the weights or you'll get another error. Now once it's in-world if you need it unrigged (like I did), right click it and click Save As.... Collada DAE. Save it anywhere on your computer. Now reupload that saved DAE file SL just made. It will upload with zero errors with no weights/rigging applied now.

REALLY odd fix, but at least I found one. Hopefully it'll help other people with this issue too. Again this fix only works for non rigged intended models that cause this issue.

Edited by Zazaaji
Link to post
Share on other sites

While I am not a JIRA person, since you spent so much time on this issue and know it intimately it might be good to put in a JIRA so that they know there is possibly a NEW issue.

And the idea of spending a month of 8-10 hour days (my equivalent) on one thing makes my eyes roll back in my head. I can only assume that you enjoyed the process. Glad you find an unorthodox fix. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, Chic Aeon said:

While I am not a JIRA person, since you spent so much time on this issue and know it intimately it might be good to put in a JIRA so that they know there is possibly a NEW issue.

And the idea of spending a month of 8-10 hour days (my equivalent) on one thing makes my eyes roll back in my head. I can only assume that you enjoyed the process. Glad you find an unorthodox fix. 

I do indeed get an oddly brain-dead sense, but overall I enjoy it.

As for JIRA, I don't know anything about it myself.

Link to post
Share on other sites
You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1377 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...