Shadows Under the Furnitures

Memo Opaque

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2514 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Some are textures drawn on prims and added to the furniture's linkset.  Some are faces in the mesh model that have been textured as shadows (either drawn or generated as an AO image).  And some are generated in world by local or global light sources (if you have Advanced Lighting and shadows turned on in the viewer).

• Like 6

I've made furniture using either AO or lighted baking, depending on the configuration of the furniture and where it would (most likely) be placed. In-world shadows using advanced lighting will work if the furniture is outdoors and/or if projected lighting sources are used. I think a good feature is baked shadows you can turn off if you want the AL shadows only.

Edited by Ivanova Shostakovich
  • Like 2

30 minutes ago, Pamela Galli said:

I use AO so it looks like a shadow on a cloudy day yet doesn't conflict with inworld shadows that may be turned on.

Last time I baked ground shadows was in 2012 actually. :SwingingFriends: And the objects have the option to turn the shadow plane off indeed. Since then my take on it is, if you want shadows, turn real time shadows on. ^_^

• Like 1

Just now, arton Rotaru said:

Last time I baked ground shadows was in 2012 actually. :SwingingFriends: And the objects have the option to turn the shadow plane off indeed. Since then my take on it is, if you want shadows, turn real time shadows on. ^_^

Well, some graphic cards don't support ultra graphic settings. In that case, baked shadow can be good :)

Yes indeed, I don't say baked shadows don't look good. But personally I don't miss them much. I have real time shadows turned off most of the time as well. Because the shadows kill too much of the specular reflections. ^_^ Tough life this second one. xD

• Like 1

One very important thing we have to mention about shadow planes under furniture: make sure they're not absolutely flush with the floor. They have to be positioned slightly above it to avoid annoying texture flickering.

• Like 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2514 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.