DJ Board Display Not Working Properly

Glad Gaffer

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1505 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

It is more than a little disappointing that the Linden's didn't find a way to maintain compatibility with existing scripts.

I only learned of this problem yesterday for the first time when a tipjar script customer reported that the script was generating the "URL passed to llHTTPRequest contains a control character" error.

Needless to say as soon as I was made aware of it I applied the fix to my script. However over the last few years I have sold hundreds of copies of that particular script, many to customers who were making and selling tipjars based on the script. It is highly probable that many of these creators have long since left SL leaving who knows how many customers with devices that not only will no longer function, but highly likely are still being sold on the Marketplace.

I was not aware of the problem until now because my shoutcast display boards continued to operate flawlessly irrespective of the sim. Unfortunately however as needing more information than is available from 7.html I use a web page scraping technique which has been affected by changes in the various V2 Shoutcast server releases.

• V2.0 removed the 7.html and displayed a different server status page to the V1.9 status page.
  • V2.2 restored the 7.html but also maintained compatibility with the V2.0 status page
  • V2.4 kept the 7.html but changed the status page again.
  • V2.5 is the current Shoutcast release, I am not aware of any stations that use it so am unable to check for changes to the status page or whether 7.html is still functional - presumably they have kept it.

If anyone is  aware of a station currently running V2.5  the URL would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
ab

• Like 1

Hi Im getting some of this on the sim I am at (Chirico) but it is using the Blue Steel server.  I am getting this error 

URL passed to llHTTPRequest contains a control character. 

Im trying to go through the other posts but I am not saavy enough to know all of this.. All i know is my SHX boards wont work nor will tipjars i bought. Now I saw the SHX update but that says it is for the Magnum server... as I said I am on Blue Steel so dont want to take boards and mess them up further... I have the update but not sure I should use it.. 

NOW... like the post before mine, my tipjars are old.. the people who made those may not even be around here anymore... how do we get those fixed, AND like the last post if i was to buy a new one... How do i know the ones on MP will have a update to them so they will work.. i have one Display attachment and my tipjar that no longer work as well as those two SHX boards... anyone have any direct advice on this? Thank you

DJ Woofy Bulgari

7 hours ago, JohnathonBulgari said:

Im trying to go through the other posts but I am not saavy enough to know all of this.. All i know is my SHX boards wont work nor will tipjars i bought. Now I saw the SHX update but that says it is for the Magnum server... as I said I am on Blue Steel so dont want to take boards and mess them up further... I have the update but not sure I should use it..

You can apply the update because the change is grid-wide now, not just on Magnum anymore,

As for the tip jars, I updated mine (you can look me up on MP; I won't further advertise here) and there are others in this thread mentioning to sell tip jars, so they will also be a safe bet ^^ One is even using my streaming script, but seems to have updated it himself, as the actual change is pretty easy...

Edit: I updated my full perm tip jar scripts, intended for tip jar creators; I'm not selling tip jars myself.

Edited by Shuichi Shinji
  • Like 1

On 20.7.2017 at 8:25 PM, ab Vanmoer said:
  • V2.5 is the current Shoutcast release, I am not aware of any stations that use it so am unable to check for changes to the status page or whether 7.html is still functional - presumably they have kept it.

If anyone is  aware of a station currently running V2.5  the URL would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
ab

@ab Vanmoer Big Daddy's are running Shoutcast V. 2.5.1.724 their stream are at http://bigdaddys.digistream.info:20368

• Like 1

@Linnrenate Crosby
Thank you very much for the URL.
It turned out to be a relatively simple change and now my Shoutcast display board supports all Shoutcast server versions up to and including V2.5 which is the latest version. 

I have sent you one of my boards as a gift - which you may, or may not find it useful :)
Thanks,
Ab

shoutcastDisplay.png

• Like 1

Got the SHX updater, Trying to update board, but it's not working

Product: 'SHX-SRC-F200', PID: 2900, GID: 2900, Version: 3.3

22:43] SHX-SRC-Receiver update to 3.5 - SRC-F200: Searching...
[22:43] SHX-SRC-Receiver update to 3.5 - SRC-F200: Starting update, please wait...
[22:43] SHX-SRC-Receiver update to 3.5 - SRC-F200: Product is not the right version or type. Check that the updater is in the dead center of the product you want to update.
If your version is older than 2.8: Goto the SHX Main shop and rez your Receiver on an update station to exchange it for a new one. SHX main shop: SHX (128,128,1025)

The shx website is broken
"Infinite loop detected in JError"

http://www.shxonline.com/en/support/updates/versions-and-updates
and also
http://www.shxonline.com/

1 hour ago, Napili Sands said:

Got the SHX updater, Trying to update board, but it's not working

Product: 'SHX-SRC-F200', PID: 2900, GID: 2900, Version: 3.3

22:43] SHX-SRC-Receiver update to 3.5 - SRC-F200: Searching...
[22:43] SHX-SRC-Receiver update to 3.5 - SRC-F200: Starting update, please wait...
[22:43] SHX-SRC-Receiver update to 3.5 - SRC-F200: Product is not the right version or type. Check that the updater is in the dead center of the product you want to update.
If your version is older than 2.8: Goto the SHX Main shop and rez your Receiver on an update station to exchange it for a new one. SHX main shop: SHX (128,128,1025)

The shx website is broken
"Infinite loop detected in JError"

http://www.shxonline.com/en/support/updates/versions-and-updates
and also
http://www.shxonline.com/

Or moving the updater right into the middle of the board? I got this message too and moving it worked

• Like 1

Turn out the updater message is misleading. " If your version is older than 2.8: " should now be " If your version is 3.5 or older: " now.

We had to take it to the shop updater. The website started working again and we were able to get instructions.

Edited by Napili Sands
new info: because 4.0 is now available
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, Napili Sands said:

Turn out the updater message is misleading. " If your version is older than 2.8: " should now be " If your version is 3.5 or older: " now.

We had to take it to the shop updater. The website started working again and we were able to get instructions.

Aye, the website backend got updated without me knowing, effectively stopping the site. After a restart everything worked again fortunately.

Sorry about the confusion regarding the instructions, it has been a bit hectic getting everything in place.
I've just finished the upgrades for the SRN boards as well, and my updater is properly giving out instructions on all SRC/SRN boards to goto my shop to get a replacement on the upgrade station. All shoutcast/icecast boards, except for the jukebox, are now converted to mesh and updated to not only work on the new simulator software, but also receive proper song information where available. It's now autodetecting the streamtype as well. The jukebox obviously needs a lot of work to be redone in mesh, as i'm not grabbing anything from free blender model sources and do a quick upload, but create my own. This will take some time.

If you have any questions, just contact me in-world. 

Saii Hallard,
SHX.

shx-logo.png

• Like 2

• 5 months later...
  • 2 years later...

Looks like Big Daddys (well, actually digistream ) has updater their stream server to SHOUTcast Server v2.5.5.733. As of today my board cannot read the data from their 7.html nor the stats page. Do anyone else have this problem?

The stream are at http://bigdaddys.digistream.info:20368

If you add /7.html or /stats you can see that the info are there but to me it look a bit different now than it did before

I see that the raw data on the 7.html page are like it's always been but still cannot pull the data from it - the data in the stats page are totally changed

Edited by Linnrenate Crosby

Just made me a debug script by chopping my board script to barebone, this is what that server return to SL, but when browsing to the URL you will see the stream info fine - i get this same data when pulling data from 7.html or the stats page

http://bigdaddys.digistream.info:20368/stats

http://bigdaddys.digistream.info:20368/7.html

<html>
<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=utf-8">
</meta>
<title>ERROR: The requested URL could not be retrieved</title>
<body id="ERR_CONNECT_FAIL">
<div id="titles">
<h1>ERROR</h1>
<h2>Connection Failed</h2>
</div>
<!-- ERR_CONNECT_FAIL -->
</body></html>

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Linnrenate Crosby said:

Just made me a debug script by chopping my board script to barebone, this is what that server return to SL, but when browsing to the URL you will see the stream info fine - i get this same data when pulling data from 7.html or the stats page

http://bigdaddys.digistream.info:20368/stats

http://bigdaddys.digistream.info:20368/7.html

<html>
<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=utf-8">
</meta>
<title>ERROR: The requested URL could not be retrieved</title>
<body id="ERR_CONNECT_FAIL">
<div id="titles">
<h1>ERROR</h1>
<h2>Connection Failed</h2>
</div>
<!-- ERR_CONNECT_FAIL -->
</body></html>

Not a scripter, but we have big daddy's on a smaller SHX board. Works fine.

Edited by DaphneRebecca
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Linnrenate Crosby said:

According to Digistream's West Habercom the Big Daddy stream are set to private and he think that's why some boards (pulling the info the same way i do) don't get the info. So i guess i need to ask the stream owner why it's been set to private :(

In order to be “public” a couple of things have to happen. The server has to be set to either always or dependent on the source (i.e. SAM Broadcaster), The DJ must select the public listing option in their encoder (of it exists) and the stream owner must register their station onto Shoutcast dot com. That’s the only way their ICY will pick up the stream info. Many opt not to do that because listing themselves can potentially expose them on the net to Performance Rights Organizations (PROs) from different countries that will require royalty and licensing fees. This can be costly and well into the 1000s (especially if more than one country comes after you.

The reason we, as a provider, and DJ’s/clubs are opting to use v2 Shoutcast is because they might have external listeners out side of SL that use apple products. Apple no longer supports v1 Shoutcast, so to listen to them without searching for an app that can override that means the server has to be v2.  Plans are underway for other companies/apps (i.e. Google, IE, Edge Safari, Firefox, etc) to eventually no longer support v1 either due to security issues.

• Thanks 1

This turn out to be a big mystery, according to Chuckles Orfan Big Daddy's owner they haven't changed any settings in their stream, it has always been set to private.

So as my board worked fine with their stream until this week and neither BD or i have changed anything i guess it's time to nudge @Oz Linden and check if they made a new silent change to llHTTPRequest that cause this error.

Including my debugging script here

string stream = "http://bigdaddys.digistream.info:20368/7.html";
key kSentRequest;

{
    state_entry()
    {
        kSentRequest = llHTTPRequest(stream,[HTTP_USER_AGENT,"XML-Getter/1.0 (Mozilla Compatible)"],"");
    }

http_response (key kRecRequest, integer intStatus, list lstMeta, string strBody)

{
        if (kRecRequest == kSentRequest)
        {   
            // debug
            llOwnerSay("\n\n" + (strBody) + "\n\nthe stream requested are " + stream );
            // debug
        }
    }

touch_start(integer total_number)
    {
        if (llDetectedKey (0) == llGetOwner ());
            llOwnerSay("Resetting the script");
            llResetScript();
    }
} 

Edited by Linnrenate Crosby
  • Thanks 1

I tried it too and don't even seem to get a reply at all anymore. Edit: After I setup my script to not try Shoutcast v2 first, but v1 imeediately, I now get the same error response as you.

Possible other reasons why it doesn't work in SL could be:

• additionally sent headers, so the request becomes to large and is rejected by the server
  • SL being blocked by user agent - previously it was possible to spoof the user agent, but not anymore and maybe the server owner blocked requests coming from SL for their sheer amount (not sure if Chuckles Orfan has any influence on that, maybe onbly on the Shoutcast server)
    Edit: (I meant when you could add the User-Agent header manually, not via HTTP_USER_AGENT)

@West Habercom Shoutcast v2 includes a fallback to the v1 reply (7.html) for a while now. First, they didn't have that (only JSON or XML replies), but apparently added it because many devices only supported v1 back then. So even if the server is running v2, using 7.html should still be possible.

Edited by Shuichi Shinji
  • Like 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1505 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.