A new and improved forum?

Aislin Ceawlin

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2526 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

4 minutes ago, Phil Deakins said:

She didn't believe you, Ceka? And she didn't add your 'finds' to the list?

I remember someone (it might even have been me) hinting to her in the thread that all is not as it seems, and she came back confidently stating that knew exactly what people were doing. She didn't know, and she kept on adding the 'finds'.

I'm afraid to say that it was me who killed it. I started to feel sorry for her after a while, even though I'd been a full part of it, and I had her in my store, where I explained it all to her. She was totally surprised. She had no idea at all what was happening. I never regretted telling her. I don't remember if she ever knew that I was a big culprit in the very thing she was trying to stamp out - traffic bots. I certainly didn't tell her :)

I did my first name pretty early on..It was because I messed up and put caps in the middle or something like that.. She actually busted me because  LL didn't allow how I laid the name out..

I remember her saying something like, Now you know better than that Ceka..They don't allow  such and such in names..

hehehehe

• Like 2

We have complained a lot about moderation here, that it has at times seemed ummmm capricious, and we don't like when an entire thread gets pulled instead of just offending posts, but there is no such thing as perfect moderation. (It seems more balanced and thoughtful recently.)  I have been a part of barely moderated or unmoderated forums and they inevitably devolve into viciousness. So I am grateful for this forum with its imperfect moderation and generally positive tone. 

Edited by Pamela Galli
  • Like 6

21 minutes ago, Pamela Galli said:

We have complained a lot about moderation here, that it has at times seemed ummmm capricious, and we don't like when an entire post gets pulled instead of just offending posts, but there is no such thing as perfect moderation. (It seems more balanced and thoughtful recently.)  I have been a part of barely moderated or unmoderated forums and they inevitably devolve into viciousness. So I am grateful for this forum with its imperfect moderation and generally positive tone. 

I've been whacked a few times over the years, usually on April 1 when I started SL satire threads. But that's nothing compared to the moderation I suffered at the hands of my evil parents. The challenge then becomes making your point within the constraints of the system. Some people weren't constrained when young, and so are angered or incapacitated when limits arise.

You can choose to bang against the chain link fence, or you can pass yourself though, piece by little piece and reassemble on the other side. Any piece too big to pass can be recovered when you leave, if you still want it. If you have the patience to do this, you'll discover that you can put yourself together again, not quite in the way you started through, but still able to get where you want to go. Eventually there's no mesh fine enough to keep you out.

If any of you know what I just said, tell Snugs. She's shaking her head.

• Like 4

I think one of the worst most damaging threads was that redzone thread where they shut the forums down for like ten days..Then they came back and it was gone..plus they did a little bit of changes and we had kind of different forums..

I think they just did it to have everyone cool off,if you ask me..because it was like no warning they were shutting them down..

That was a really really bad one..store owners and shoppers going head to head..

if you do this ,we have every right to add you to our list and you can't shop here or any where that use this...Then the shoppers  started to come up with their plan..

Oh Yea? well if you use that,then we have every to put you on our list and anyone we find using it..

Then  someone made greenzone that would sniff out redzone..

it just got worse and worse..

I'm so glad that is all behind us..

I think I only ever ended up getting banned from one place in all that,but heck there may be more..hehehehe

that was extreme..

SL seems so much more peaceful now..same with the forums =)

Edited by Ceka Cianci
  • Like 2

19 hours ago, Aislin Ceawlin said:

I'm not sure what magic happened when they opened the new forum, but I am amazed by how different things feel now. The forum was an angry, intimidating place before, but now I really enjoy it here!

Well, we could post a few insults for old time's sake ^_^

It's a much better forum, no doubt about that. I do miss a few features from the previous version and I really wish the pictures from the old posts had survived the transition but the many improvements far outweigh those few negative side effects of the change.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Snugs McMasters said:

That's because her head is as big as a stop sign.

Yes, maybe

Chin Rey for no reason at all starts humming and old C&W tune "I still miss my man but my aim is getting better"

• Like 4

49 minutes ago, ChinRey said:

Well, we could post a few insults for old time's sake ^_^

You can start on me if you like. I attracted plenty of insults from people who I disagreed with. I miss those threads when some people couldn't persuade me, so they resorted to insults :(  Let's get going again :)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ceka Cianci said:

A lot of those went over to SLU

SLU has grown quieter too. I rememebr all those fresh insults I got first time I posted there, only three years ago. Now it's all polite, serious discussions.

I think it has something to do with age. People tend to soften up as the years go by. Eventually they grow so mild and tolerant they can become state leaders.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, ChinRey said:

SLU has grown quieter too. I rememebr all those fresh insults I got first time I posted there, only three years ago. Now it's all polite, serious discussions.

I think it has something to do with age. People tend to soften up as the years go by. Eventually they grow so mild and tolerant they can become state leaders.

I spend a lot of time over at SLU, and I've always found it pretty polite and friendly for the most part.  People run into problems, I think,if they create an account and use it to launch into something highly contentious they're likely to regret it -- people who use their first post to take advantage of SLU's moderation policies by launching into an attack, complete with transcripts, on someone in SL they don't like do so at their own risk -- but otherwise it's generally pretty peaceful.    

Certainly, when two people do blow up at each other, Cristiano will generally let that carry on where the moderators here wouldn't but, as with many personal disputes between two frenemies, so long as you don't try to involve yourself, you're OK.   

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Phil Deakins said:

You can start on me if you like. I attracted plenty of insults from people who I disagreed with. I miss those threads when some people couldn't persuade me, so they resorted to insults :(  Let's get going again :)

Okay, I'll start with unsolicited advice and then an insult.

Comb your damned hair, you look like a musician.

• Like 2

Just now, Innula Zenovka said:

I spend a lot of time over at SLU, and I've always found it pretty polite and friendly for the most part.  People run into problems, I think,if they create an account and use it to launch into something highly contentious they're likely to regret it -- people who use their first post to take advantage of SLU's moderation policies by launching into an attack, complete with transcripts, on someone in SL they don't like do so at their own risk -- but otherwise it's generally pretty peaceful.

My first post there was when Ebbe first advertised Sansar, at that time still presenting it as a complete SL overhaul rather than a brand new product. I replied and basically said that if thatw as true, it was great news. To be fair, it was only one person who went full tilt and told me in no uncertain terms that newcomers only were welcome if they had posted in the forum before. Everybody else in the thread had more important matters to discuss. It was enough to keep me away for a long time though and I hope nobody on this forum has got the impression I am thin-skinned. :P

Oh btw, I should probably mention that I post at that forum as LynxF, not ChinRey. Lynx was the alt I thought of as my main at that time. I regretted it afterwards, better to sue the same handle on both forums.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, ChinRey said:

newcomers only were welcome if they had posted in the forum before

How did that person expect you to "post in the forum before" as a non-newcomer? He must have just read Catch 22. If you haven't posted, you're a newcomer and can't post, and, you're a newcomer until you've posted O.o

Edited by Phil Deakins
  • Like 2

15 minutes ago, ChinRey said:

Yep, your remark to Phil was absolutely spot on for a web forum insult, that is completely off the mark.

There's an art to delivering insults that I'll never master, but that won't stop me from trying. The more absurd things are on the outside, the better. But there must be something on the inside or the banter fizzles out. Sometimes only the insiders see the insides, but if that's enough to keep it going, fine. My childhood friends where sometimes unsure whether my father and I even liked each other, though our mutual adoration was quite clear to us. Some of them stuck with us long enough to slip inside and enjoy the fun.

Edited by Madelaine McMasters
  • Like 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2526 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.