A new and improved forum?

Aislin Ceawlin

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2520 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Regarding what Innula just said: I just went ahead and posted when I started there; didn't even learn about the "Introduce Yourself" thing until well after the fact at which time it was too late: they'd already taken my measure. Chance to make good first impression (the sales technique people tell you that's SO important) blown.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Innula Zenovka said:

Perhaps not surprisingly, I don't recall the encounter, but it sounds as if ChinRey had the misfortune to run into someone who was particularly bad-tempered (either that particular day or generally).   I'm sorry to hear that happened but, as I say, I've always found SLU pretty friendly and easygoing.   

I've seen how others are treated there. Poor Immy for example, she's as sweet as a person can be and she always seems to draw flak when she posts there. But then again, what do I know? Maybe somebody holds a grudge against her for something that happened long before my time.

I haven't really been active on that forum since my first bad experience. I posted a few factual replies to the copybot thread but they were innocent enough not even the most paranoid internet troll could possibly find an excuse to attack them.

The only time I've really used SLU was the Michael incident. I couldn't let that one rest, my inworld enquiries (which eventually led to a secret info meeting) didn't sem to go anywhere and I obviously didn't dare start that thread in this forum.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Phil Deakins said:

The Michael incident?

When the last content creator with a Linden account name and one of the Lindens most visible inworld suddenly vanished and it didn't occur to LL that this was a bit more than the usual change of personnel and maybe it would be a good idea to give some info about what was going to happen to the department he was the head of.

Probably not very important to the average SL user but I was certainly not the only one to worry.

I never took to SLU, not so much because of the hostility, but because of the design. Funny thing to say, huh? The posts would take up a quarter of the screen and might contain three words. I got weary of scrolling, scrolling, scrolling, next page, scrolling, scrolling, scrolling in order to get a nugget of information. Many of the big beasts of the SL forum moved to SLU when LL nerfed the GD Forum back in 2009 - and I was tempted to follow them - but I dunno, I preferred to hang around on home territory so to speak.

As for the person who I admired the most, the award goes to Argent Stonecutter. He'd let people prattle on then demolish the whole lot in a single sentence like a bowling ball knocking down pins - a strike every time. It was high art. Prok was there of course, and he'd tangle with Argent on occasion, which was a delight to witness. I once got between the two of them and was royally trounced. I suppose that's why I was somewhat aggressive in the SL forum. I was so used to the cut-throat nature of discussion that, like a beaten child, I became a bit snotty myself. Ten years on, I've lost interest in those 100-page-quote-nested-arguments that could fill a phone book. Even if the topic is dear to my heart, I've learned to walk on by.

Yet, upon reflection, I wonder if something is not sacrificed in order to achieve maturity. It's all well and good to be smug about my hard-won wisdom, but part of me weeps for the loss of youth - the fire, recklessness, arrogance and irresponsibility that we revel in as know-it-all kids. I'm not happy to see that fire extinguished. It's still there, smoldering dimly in my heart, but can it be fanned to life without creating a conflagration? I'm a year away from 40, childless, torn between the future and the past. Is this something we all relate to when we post here? Does the forum remind us all of a childhood we don't want to leave behind? I don't know, but Argent would have none of such reflections. His reply would probably be something like: "Go build a hut in the woods and figure it out."

Edited by Deltango Vale
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Ivanova Shostakovich said:

Also, at least in my case, the ability to stay up really late, having fun.

Yes, this I miss the most. I'm in the UK, but the clubs were all running hot on California time, so I'd log in around midnight my time and potter around then get dressed up and hit the clubs. I'd tumble into bed about 08:00 in the morning. Gods, those were good times. Now, I'm usually in bed at midnight and up at 08:00 in the morning. When I do log in, no one's around and I do gardening. Sad, really.

2 minutes ago, Ivanova Shostakovich said:

It used to be beauty sleep. Now it's keep-myself-alive sleep. Sometimes I say to myself "I'd like to go back to being 25 years old, knowing everything I know now." But then, this hard won wisdom kicks in and I realize I'd have a hard time fitting in with people my own age.

I've thought about this - and it would make a clever novel. Poof, 20 again, but can't drink and would have to get someone to forge an ID to get into the clubs. Then, of course, your CV is useless. You'd have to go to college all over again and take those crappy internships. The only guys worth dating are like 50 (even at 20 I didn't date 20-year-olds). Can't share any of those great stories you've accumulated over the past 20 years. No one will believe you've been to all those countries. So, how to enjoy being 20 again when you have to spend 20 years to age yourself to fit in. By the time it's all under control, boom, you're back to 40!

I'm just grateful they gave us the archives so we can visit back then when we want..

I don't think I really would want to go back if I actually could..Unless it was just to visit..There was a lot of ups and downs and I'm kind of glad where I landed..

I think I would always have it in the back of my mind  that I'd hope I hit my mark where I left off..I know I'd be missing home for sure.

I think for me it'd be a nice place to visit,but wouldn't want to live there,kind of things..

• Like 3

57 minutes ago, Deltango Vale said:

Yes, this I miss the most. I'm in the UK, but the clubs were all running hot on California time, so I'd log in around midnight my time and potter around then get dressed up and hit the clubs. I'd tumble into bed about 08:00 in the morning. Gods, those were good times. Now, I'm usually in bed at midnight and up at 08:00 in the morning. When I do log in, no one's around and I do gardening. Sad, really.

Anybody who's seen me here long knows I'm atypical. I was home schooled, don't drink, don't smoke, don't do drugs and don't party hard. I slept nine hours/night during school while my peers were probably sleeping seven. I didn't start school at 7AM, I started it when I got up. I didn't have to take a bus to school, I just walked downstairs in my jammies. I had it made.

But, I feel no nostalgia for those times, nor for my early days in SL or here in the Forum. I enjoyed those times, but I'm enjoying life right now as well. None of us can recapture the wide eyed innocence we had when we first stepped into something, and even though I've said I envy newcomers that innocence, I have two cures for that envy. First, I live vicariously though the new experiences of others (anyone who teaches/mentors/parents will understand this). Second, I go and do something new.

I have sympathy for those of us for whom the past was better than the present, or for whom the present is simply unhappy. Not all of us is equally equipped to make happiness from our situations, but that's what I aim to do. And this is going to bring me back a second time to do what Aislin did when she started this thread, because she used a tool that I think brings her happiness in the same way it works for me. I'll quote (and agree with) her...

"You guys are amazing! Thank you for being who you are!!"

And there's the tool.

Gratitude.

Edited by Madelaine McMasters
Continuous improvement. I'm grateful we can edit at all. ;-).
  • Like 8

5 hours ago, Deltango Vale said:

Yet, upon reflection, I wonder if something is not sacrificed in order to achieve maturity. It's all well and good to be smug about my hard-won wisdom, but part of me weeps for the loss of youth - the fire, recklessness, arrogance and irresponsibility that we revel in as know-it-all kids. I'm not happy to see that fire extinguished. It's still there, smoldering dimly in my heart, but can it be fanned to life without creating a conflagration? I'm a year away from 40, childless, torn between the future and the past. Is this something we all relate to when we post here? Does the forum remind us all of a childhood we don't want to leave behind?

Deltango, I'm within a decade or so of being as far from 40 as you are from 0. I've had the "if I'd known then what I know now" thoughts, of course. I think it's probably a very common reflection among people who reach what in the States is called 'middle age'. In the years since I personally was of that age group, the idea has for me lost all its luster.

I wouldn't trade my youth for anything, and the more I think about it the more I'm glad it happened just as it did. Dumb as I was, I was me. Not only that, but recalling those incredibly dumb-ass moments later in life was instructional. As in, "Oh. So that's what she meant by saying that." We actually do keep learning as we age, assuming we're relatively cognizant and open to learning. It's pretty nice, actually. Wisdom is a good thing.

Someone once said to me, in a private conversation, that I'd started out here as a neophyte but had become one of the 'wise old women of the forums'. That's possibly not the nicest thing anyone ever said to me but it's definitely in the top three.

• Like 4

On 5/19/2017 at 3:20 PM, Aislin Ceawlin said:

I'm not sure what magic happened when they opened the new forum, but I am amazed by how different things feel now.

I wonder what Marshall McLuhan would have to say about this magic that amazes you.

ETA: Deltango said this: "I never took to SLU, not so much because of the hostility, but because of the design. Funny thing to say, huh?"

;-).

Edited by Madelaine McMasters
  • Like 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2520 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.