A new and improved forum?

Aislin Ceawlin

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2520 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

2 minutes ago, Madelaine McMasters said:

There's an art to delivering insults that I'll never master, but that won't stop me from trying.

Oh, I thought you were deliberately trying to (and I have to say, succeeding in) producing a random off-the.mark insult to imitate the general style so much in vogue on the internet this century. You could have fooled me.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, ChinRey said:

Oh, I thought you were deliberately trying to (and I have to say, succeeding in) producing a random off-the.mark insult to imitate the general style so much in vogue on the internet this century. You could have fooled me.

I know Phil's a musician, and Phil knows I know that. I've also been bantering with him about Andre Rieu's hair. In the case of this particular insult, it's actually more absurd on the inside than the outside.

Insult artist Don Rickles passed away recently and the outpouring of affection for him was widespread and heartfelt. Juxtaposition is one of the pillars of humor. I hope people see the affection behind my insults. If you didn't, well you're just not paying enough attention to me.

;-).

Edited by Madelaine McMasters
  • Like 2

20 minutes ago, Madelaine McMasters said:

I have alternate facts and there's evidence I can succeed by using them!

Then your alternate facts are wrong. You have been deceived, but that's not at all surprising when you don't have the wherewithal up top to avoid being so gullible lol

Back to seriousness, because this isn't real insulting, so it doesn't have the same effect. I actually am a musician. I can play the organ, piano (of course), sax, clarinet, guitar and 5-string banjo. These days I only have a piano, a keyboard, 2 guitars (acoustic and electric), and a clarinet. For two periods in my life, I made my living as a singer/instrumentalist (and I can prove it), and always with long hair. Coincidentally, the pic that ChinRey posted, is like my current RL hairstyle; i.e. I shave it :)

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Phil Deakins said:

Coincidentally, the pic that ChinRey posted, is like my current RL hairstyle; i.e. I shave it :)

You make me nervous, Phil. I won't tell what I do for a living in RL of course but there are strings attached and I am quite attached to my hair and I want my hair to be quite attached to me.

Edit: I think we've invented a new sport here. How far can you take an internet discussion off topic?

Edited by ChinRey
Editing
  • Like 1

LOL, ChinRey. Alas, the long hair on the crown of my head jumped ship some time ago, but I didn't shave the whole lot off for years after that. I only started shaving it off a few years ago, having had long hair for most of lengthy life. Now I like it shaved - so much easier to wash - it's just an extension to washing my face :)

I sincerely hope that your hair stays attached to you forever, ChinRey :)

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Phil Deakins said:

But don't forget that we now have our very own superhero - >>> SuperTom <<<

We didn't have one of those in any previous verion of the forum.

Umm before SuperTom there was SuperDakota, through thick and thin. :x

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Ivanova Shostakovich said:

How were residents made moderators anyway?

I don't know. That was before my time. When I arrived we already had Lithium with hired unmoderators fro, well from Lithium.

But I assume there was some secret ritual there, involving candelights, readings from archaic manuscripts and such. The standard stuff you see everywhere.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Ivanova Shostakovich said:

How were residents made moderators anyway?

Via a process so insidious that even LL isn't aware of it.

It is thought to involve the judicious distribution of Kool-Aid to only some in the forum, creating a cabal that manipulates the actual moderation system to align the behavior of everyone with the desires of the High Priestess of Moderation.

It's possible that the process is so insidious that even the High Priestess isn't aware of it, but she's not telling.

• Like 4

On 5/19/2017 at 3:20 PM, Aislin Ceawlin said:

I'm not sure what magic happened when they opened the new forum, but I am amazed by how different things feel now. The forum was an angry, intimidating place before, but now I really enjoy it here! It's so cool to be getting to know people that I've been interacting with for years! I used to post things and hold my breath for the crappy comments, or the complete lack of response, lol! You guys are amazing! Thank you for being who you are!! :D

I don't think they told the angry, intimidating people where it moved too......

..that worked with one of my ex's....

giphy.gif?response_id=5920bece5eeb25ad0e

Edited by AmandaKeen
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, ChinRey said:

SLU has grown quieter too. I rememebr all those fresh insults I got first time I posted there, only three years ago. Now it's all polite, serious discussions.

I think it has something to do with age. People tend to soften up as the years go by. Eventually they grow so mild and tolerant they can become state leaders.

Yea, plus as we get older,we tend to be a bit more conserving on our energy..A bit wiser in the battles we choose and a little less picky of the world..

I remember I used to make these really long dramatic posts,just building up and working to make a point..

Nowadays,It's mostly short and sweet with a little  touch of play..Nowadays to me,Arguing ,even though I still might do it a time or two here and there,is energy best saved for other  things..It takes a lot to get me going nowadays for sure..

Toby Kieth has a song I like that kind of hits around it ,plus it's a funny song..Well,to me it's funny anyways.. hehehehe

• Like 2

Ceka,

I think time and experience wears us all down. Ten years ago, I believed most people were rational and keenly interested in knowledge. I believed that the world was generally sane and that good ideas would triumph over bad ones. Now I realize all of that is nonsense - that the world is a quagmire of emotions and beliefs that have no purpose or direction other than social entropy. With age comes wisdom. One learns to enjoy the few air-pockets of joy left in the world, sighing in wonder at the freedoms of our parents and grandparents. Why waste precious breath on things that no longer matter? It's one of the reasons why I came back to this forum, because it's family of sorts disconnected from the wider world. So, three cheers to all the clever people who post here. In our own way, we can still have a bit of fun.

• Like 7

9 minutes ago, Deltango Vale said:

Ceka,

I think time and experience wears us all down. Ten years ago, I believed most people were rational and keenly interested in knowledge. I believed that the world was generally sane and that good ideas would triumph over bad ones. Now I realize all of that is nonsense - that the world is a quagmire of emotions and beliefs that have no purpose or direction other than social entropy. With age comes wisdom. One learns to enjoy the few air-pockets of joy left in the world, sighing in wonder at the freedoms of our parents and grandparents. Why waste precious breath on things that no longer matter? It's one of the reasons why I came back to this forum, because it's family of sorts disconnected from the wider world. So, three cheers to all the clever people who post here. In our own way, we can still have a bit of fun.

There was a lot of older wiser more experienced people back then when I came to RA,than I was,that's for sure..I remember looking up to a lot of them..They always seemed to have the answers to pretty much most of my questions,that's for sure..They felt like parents in a way for me..I learned a lot from them for sure..

I wasn't really going on about the positive things..Was more talking about how things that I would jump on and get all dramatic about back then, over time became things that don't get under my skin like they used to..

When I was a teenager,the things that frustrated me then, many of them seemed silly when I hit my 20's..

I imagine those people back then just looked at me as young and foolish and inexperienced burning so much energy where I was putting it..Because when I look back at myself in that time period,that's what I see me as..

I say that a lot about many things over time..if I only knew then what I do now, I would have listened and learned more,rather than thinking I knew everything..

hehehehe

On 5/19/2017 at 4:24 PM, Skell Dagger said:

I actually have that thread bookmarked. Here you go. It was so damn funny it was worth keeping ;) 

The OP wanted lists of high-traffic regions where traffic was being gamed. So they inevitably got lists such as -

Discuss
Asmuch
Aspossible

- which they fell for. And thus it went on:

Unbelievably
Idontthinkshe
Getsit

Quixote
Cervantes
Sanchopanza
Windmillsofyourmind

Ilikebig
Buttsand
Ican
Notlie

... they all got added to the list, in all seriousness. And then some. Comedy gold :D

OMG I just seen one of your posts in that thread and am in tears laughing.. All info hubs xD

01-21-2009 09:14
Places with massive traffic figures:

Ahern
Waterhead
Bear
Anzere
Braunworth (man, did you see that pic of the HUGE pile of people there the other day?! :eek: )
Violet
Miramare
Morris
Dore

Wow, the list is endless. Lots of avatars just standing aimlessly around...
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
ETA: Here was one of mine I found,but think she may have been onto us by then and just using sim speak..hehehehe
01-21-2009 15:23
the whole grid is gonna be up there soon..just glad my sim is not on that list..

Dontasemebro

LVbritnyalone

Isthisthe iraq simulator2
Edited by Ceka Cianci
  • Like 1

I'm afraid that in the old forums, when I did post, or participate, I may have seemed a bit businesslike, reserved, or sterile, in my efforts to avoid drama. I tended to steer calmly away from rocks I perceived in the forums. It was, early in my SL, also how I approached being in-world. I became close with only a few people, some of whom with which I am still friends. I rarely ventured outside the borders of that realm.

Since those times I have become less shy; bolder in all my explorations and interactions. I'm a lot less introverted than I used to be. This change has also occurred in my real life, whether as a result of my socializing in SL or of just getting older I don't know. I believe SL has been good for me and for my life. If you are reading this, there's a good chance that in some way, you have been a part of that, probably transparently, maybe unwittingly, certainly vitally.

• Like 5

8 hours ago, Phil Deakins said:

How did that person expect you to "post in the forum before" as a non-newcomer? He must have just read Catch 22. If you haven't posted, you're a newcomer and can't post, and, you're a newcomer until you've posted O.o

I think whoever it was must have been referring to the New Users sub-forum, where people new to SLU are encouraged to introduce themselves.  But that's not a strict rule by any means.

Perhaps not surprisingly, I don't recall the encounter, but it sounds as if ChinRey had the misfortune to run into someone who was particularly bad-tempered (either that particular day or generally).   I'm sorry to hear that happened but, as I say, I've always found SLU pretty friendly and easygoing.   

• Like 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2520 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.