SL Logs Me Out Of quiet Sims wih No Other Avies

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2500 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I got logged out twice after not being on long and both times I was on a sim with no other avies. I am on Windows 8.1,   on a note book pc, usually minmal probems and when I do crash or get logged out its on a full sim. Any idea if or how this can be fixed? I cleared my cache several days ago as well as clearing my Windows stuff daily.

This is very frustrating..Please help me!

Thank you!

Sierra Styles

Edited by SierraStyles
correct spelling

10 hours ago, SierraStyles said:

Any idea if or how this can be fixed?

can be so many things... you say notebook, so my first guess is the machine isn't up for the task you ask from it, perhaps overheating?...

10 hours ago, SierraStyles said:

I cleared my cache several days ago as well as clearing my Windows stuff daily.

Stop that... clearing cache is no miracle cure for all SL/machine problems as some people still think. It will only make your machine has to work harder by getting all files downloaded again.

Alwin is correct (he's smart, has to be with that last name, lol) Clearing cache should only be done as a last resort and only for serious texture rezzing issues. A full cache is a happy cache, it's there for a reason and would have nothing to do with you getting logged out. I would bet its overheating or some kind of connection issue. 

• 4 weeks later...

I have the same issue. After 2-5 minutes I am logged out. It is not like a proper Firestorm crash and happens with the SL viewer as well. All was well until 2 days ago. Nothing in the setup has changed and I don't think it's overheating as the laptop is still cool (-ish). So it's either something in SL itself (is this possible if two viewers have the same problem) or my ISP. I had TalkTalk run a test on the line and they found nothing out of the ordinary.

39 minutes ago, Stephie2000 said:

I have the same issue. After 2-5 minutes I am logged out. It is not like a proper Firestorm crash and happens with the SL viewer as well. All was well until 2 days ago. Nothing in the setup has changed and I don't think it's overheating as the laptop is still cool (-ish). So it's either something in SL itself (is this possible if two viewers have the same problem) or my ISP. I had TalkTalk run a test on the line and they found nothing out of the ordinary.

Firstly rule out a region specific issue by logging in directly to a couple of different regions.
Then rule out an account specific issue - if you have any alt accounts, do they get logged out soon after login too?
If you are having this problem with only one of your accounts then it's likely to be an inventory issue which LL support can fix for you. File a support ticket at https://support.secondlife.com/create-case/, explain the problem is account specific & ask them to check your inventory for any corruption or to see if it needs deflattened.

If you have the same problem no matter which region you login to and on all accounts, daft question but have you powered off your router for a few minutes and rebooted your computer? Often that's all that's needed to fix disconnection issues.  You could also try resetting your router.

• Like 1

Stephie, have you looked at the SL connection statistics? (Advanced Menu -> Performance Tools -> Statistics Bar).

SL is particularly finicky about connection quality, mostly because it still uses UDP (a protocol that does not have error detection/retry) for a lot of things. Your browser and other applications are almost certainly using HTTP (which does have error handling) and are much more tolerant of an iffy connection. This can lead you to think you've got a dandy internet connection when you actually don't.

You said you had your line tested, so I wouldn't be surprised if this is NOT your problem, but I mention it anyway.

ETA: The important statistic to check is packet loss. It should be zero. If it's more than a fraction of a percent, that's probably your problem.

Edited by Madelaine McMasters
  • Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2500 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.