So I broke something I like and need a replacement

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2525 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hai Guyz,

A long time ago I bought this thing. It has given me many hours of joy. I show it off to all my friends. However, I broke it about a month ago, and I haven't heard back from the creator despite repeated contacts. I am almost tempted to buy another one. However, before I plop down 2k Lindens, I wanted to make sure that there wasn't a better product out there. Any suggestions from anyone?

The first thing I'd do is join a group that the creator belongs to and then check the group to see when they last logged in.  It could be that they are no longer active in SL, or maybe even just taking a break.  That would at least let you know if you have much of a chance of hearing from them - as opposed to them maybe being on vacation/holiday.

As to you actual question about another product, I don't have any suggestions for you on that.

Edited by LittleMe Jewell

I actually had the precursor prim version of that from LONG ago.  It was very cool and pretty impressive -- say seven years ago.  I expect that the mesh one is also. I followed the breadcrumbs to the place the store "was" abut not there any longer. Likely they are gone or could be an alt account. 

IF you bought it from the marketplace you might be able to get a redelivery  by putting in a ticket with MARKETPLACE as the area you are writing about and explaining that it seems like the person has left and you need a new copy. I have no idea if that would work but likely worth a try.

• Like 1

And it's Mod perm too, so it should be possible to reset scripts, or set them running, if "broke" is about its scripts.

(I realize none of this gets to the OP's request for substitute products; not sure how to get those suggestions.)

• Like 1

The marketplace ad says that if you already bought it you will be refunded minus the 5% Linden commission.  Now, if that were TRUE (and you have faith that it's true) I would say, just buy another one and you will only end up paying the 5% commission after the "automatic refund".  Not sure how that works.

• Like 1

I think resetting the scripts is what broke it in the first place. Basically, I can't allow other people to play the scenes. I deleted the box a long time ago in order to cut down on inventory size. I would be happy if the creator so much as slipped me a notecard instructing me how to set it back to normal.

I notice the Marketplace image includes the text "Owner access control" which certainly suggests that (at least this version) has some means of controlling who can and can't operate the device. Absent instructions, one might expect to find that controlled by menu somehow, but presumably that's already been tried.

Maybe Chic could check how the old prim-based version worked, assuming it had this feature.

Also, I'm sure I remember this creator's name, although I'm not exactly sure why. It may be that somebody is a member of some group to which that creator still belongs. I'm not aware of a feature that can search all one's groups' member lists for a specific avatar, but that sure would streamline such sleuthing.

[ETA: Actually, though, the creator's groups are not hidden -- at least, not the creator for the Marketplace listing -- so it was just a matter of joining one that's open enrollment and makes its members public to each other (I picked "Mesh Dev") to discover he was last in-world on April 30th, 2017, which seems somewhat encouraging.]

Edited by Qie Niangao
  • Like 1

[ETA: Actually, though, the creator's groups are not hidden -- at least, not the creator for the Marketplace listing -- so it was just a matter of joining one that's open enrollment and makes its members public to each other (I picked "Mesh Dev") to discover he was last in-world on April 30th, 2017, which seems somewhat encouraging.]

Except He hasn't responded to any of the notecards or offline IMs I've sent him. Thanks for checking though.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2525 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.