Parcel music not working

Ciadim87

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2532 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

Hi all,

When I go into someone's parcel with auto-play music, it always plays automatically and straight away. However, in my parcel I have to click the 'play' button in the top right corner of the screen for it to play.

I want music to auto-play in my parcel straight away.

Can someone please advise what I am doing wrong. I can provide more settings but here are some of them:

About Land/Media/Type: Audio

About Land/Media/Home Page: http://sc2b-sjc.1.fm:8030/ (a stream I am trying to set up)

About Land/Media/Description: 1.FM - Blues

About Land/Sound/Sound/Restrict gesture and object...: Unticked

About Land/Sound/Avatar Sounds/Everyone: Ticked

About Land/Sound/Avatar Sounds/Group: Ticked

About Land/Sound/Voice/Enable Voice: Ticked

About Land/Sound/Voice/Restrict Voice to this parcel: Unticked

Preferences/ Sound & Media/Allow media to auto-play: Ticked

Preferences/ Sound & Media/Play media attached to avatars: Unticked

Preferences/ Sound & Media/Play sounds from gestures: Ticked

Thanks

7 answers to this question

Actually, that's not strictly true, although it's normally how the two tabs are used. Some audio streams will work if you place them in the Media tab, but I have never been sure exactly which ones.  I have thought for a while that it makes a difference whether the URL is prefixed by http:// or https:// , but that is not the whole answer (and may be a red herring).  Also, if you have a music stream on a server somewhere and want to have it play as a continuous loop in world, you have to place it in the Media tab instead of the Sound tab.  Although some documentation I have seen says that looping only works for video streams, I know of a couple of cases where it clearly works.  The bottom line is that there's a little magic here. or at least some confusion.

The whole parcel media thing can be maddeningly idiosyncratic, and depends on intricate details not only of the stream but also of the viewer machine (notably, it's distro-specific for Linux viewers). Add to that, the "auto play" functionality seems flaky to me, and there's a significant share of users who won't enable Media at all, or only very selectively, for reasons of privacy.

So it's luck of the draw, but still, for audio streams set the MIME type to "audio/*" and hope for the best - although that's exactly how the OP has it set.

Despite all the drawbacks, though, scripted parcel media is one way to make multiple music streams available on the same parcel of land, as when there are stacked rentals at different altitudes. This isn't quite as big a deal anymore as it was before "Media on a prim" became an option -- although it has all the same limitations, and even more bugs.

Edited by Qie Niangao

Sure. I mean I know there used to be products that do it, and they likely still exist, but the underlying LSL function is llParcelMediaCommandList using the constant PARCEL_MEDIA_COMMAND_AGENT to specify the keys of those avatars that should get the specific stream. As I recall, I detected collisions with the floor prims to know which avatars were on which level, but there are all kinds of other ways that could be done. (This was all long before llGetAgentList, so now it's common and reasonably efficient to just track everybody in the region all the time.)

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2532 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.