Is there a way to tell how much something adds to your complexity?

xFunkapotimusx

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2506 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

So I'm fairly new here and just got myself a new hairstyle for my avatar, but this one hairstyle along changed my complexity from 9000 to 41000 and on one of those script reader boards makes my avatar go from like 20 scripts to 227 scripts, is there a way to fix that or is there a way to tell if something is gonna cause that much lag before even buying it ?

You should be able to test the DEMO before buying. To see the complexity use: Avatar > Avatar Health > Show Avatar Complexity Information. I suspect you could also take the DEMO to a place that counts scripts (like where you found out about the other hair and see if it is script heavy. OLD hair in particular can be problematic but there are some hair makers that simply make overly complex hairs that you really "should" avoid. 

The good news is that there are lots of hair makers that make great designs that are more friendly to the server. Good luck shopping.

• Like 1

A while back there was a conversation here in the forums about low priced wedding rings. I bought one off marketplace for 5L just to see what it was like. It was a very pretty ring, but it increased my complexity by over 400,000. 

As for hair complexity I see to remember a hair I had somewhere that had a button in the hud to get rid of the scripts if yo wanted to.

Definitely get demos of hairs these days before paying full price - that will at least let you see what the complexity is on it.

Resize scripts in every prim are sometimes a problem.  After getting your hair sized properly, hopefully they have a 'script removal' button.  If not, and if it happens to be 'modify', you can get a script scrubber to drop in the root prim and it will clear the scripts.

• Like 2

Yes, but it's not 100% accurate. You'd need to obtain a demo of the item to wear, but many demos don't contain all the various scripts for resizing or colour/texture options. It'll be close enough that you can rule out anything horrendously weighty, though.

Wear the item, then right-click it to edit it. If it's rigged mesh, you'll need to right-click the worn item in your inventory and edit from there. Then, in the General tab of the edit menu, click the 'more info link' (arrowed below). Under the 'weights of selected' header of the new window that'll pop up, 'display' will give you the render weight of the item. As you can see, I'm wearing a very high-complexity hair here, with a render weight of 42,004:

render_weight.jpg

• Like 8

Resize scripts in every prim are sometimes a problem.  After getting your hair sized properly, hopefully they have a 'script removal' button.  If not, and if it happens to be 'modify', you can get a script scrubber to drop in the root prim and it will clear the scripts.

being new here I have no idea what any of this means :D

51 minutes ago, xFunkapotimusx said:

being new here I have no idea what any of this means :D

Put simply (and generalising a little) -

Resize scripts are often placed in items to help you make them bigger or smaller. You click the item, then choose a percentage that you want to resize it by. Sometimes it's an all-over resize, and sometimes you get the option to resize along different axes (X, Y, and/or Z) of the item, stretching it in one direction only. Scripts can also be used to change the colour of items or their texturing, but resizing is the most common use.

The old way of doing this was to put a script into every single prim (aka: each individual part) of the item, together with one controller script. Given that you can have a maximum of 255 prims in a single linkset, that was a possible 256 scripts in one worn object. Each one of those scripts would have to be checked by the simulator server every few seconds, resulting in the simulator getting bogged down. Imagine multiple people all wearing heavily-scripted items, and it's easy to see how laggy it can be. Even just one person wearing badly-scripted hair, shoes, necklace, bracelets, and earrings could be a walking lagfest. 

You'll most often find these poor examples of script-resizing in older items: frequently hair, jewellery, and footwear. Newer items make use of a much less heavy scripting method so they're less of an issue.

If such an item is modifiable it will sometimes have a 'remove scripts' option when you click to resize it. Alternatively, you can use a free script called a 'scrubber' that you can put into the contents of the item, and that will remove the scripts for you. (It's always advisable to keep a backup copy before removing scripts, in case you need to revert to the original again at any point.) 

• Like 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2506 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.