You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2528 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I made an object with a script and not understanding permissions, I unchecked all of the "Content Permissions' associated with the object. Now, a user isn't able to get the script to function...I'm assuming that the act of unchecking Scripts in Content Permissions effectively turned off the script? I can't find any documentation on these permissions at all, the wiki page just has their icons...

Permissions have nothing to do with whether a script functions.  They determine whether the owner has permission to copy, modify, or sell/give away the script.  When you change the settings, you are not affecting your own access to it.  Permissions apply to the next owner.  The most you could have done is to make it so that a person that you give the script to cannot modify it or copy it or transfer it to yet another person (actually, only two of the three -- you can't turn off all three).  Study this Knowledge Base article for an introduction to Permissions:

Now, if the script is not working for whoever you gave it to, it's because you turned off something else, probably the script itself.  Open your own copy of it and check to see that the Running box is checked.  Then make a new copy with more appropriate permissions, and give it to the person again.

It is also possible, of course, that the script itself is only designed to work for its owner, and it is unaware that you are no longer the owner after you have given it away.  The new owner can fix that generally by simply resetting the script -- IF he has permission to modify it and can get to the Reset button.  A properly-written script should recognize a change in ownership without needing to be manually reset, but plenty are not written carefully.

Thank you for your input! It works great for me, it isn't working at all for my friend. All of the normal permissions are set to copy, no modify, no transfer. It's just the permissions on the Content tab itself, I had unchecked everything thinking that affected the owner (trying to hide the script from others, but that's what no modify does...), so since I can't find any reference to what "Content Permissions" actually do, I'm going to turn them all back on and see if that helps. If not, I'll probe deeper.

Thanks!

"Content Permissions" are the same as any other permissions.  You are just setting the next-owner permissions of specific items in your object's own inventory.  For example, you might have an animation and another object in "Contents" as well as your script.  You could make them all full perm, as you have just done, or you could make the script no mod and leave the others full perm, so that the next owner can't pry into your script but can modify the anim and the object if she wishes.

There are two things to think about:

1.  You cannot give the next owner more permissions than you have already.  So, for example, if you do not have copy perms on the anim, you cannot give copy perms on it to the next owner either.  You can only make permissions more restrictive than the ones you already have.

2. Permissions that you set on items in your object's inventory will affect the permissions of the object itself.  So, suppose you made the object and therefore have full perms on it, but you drop a no-copy animation into its Contents.  By doing that, you have made you own object no copy.  This is quite logical.  After all, if your object were still full perm, the next owner could just make multiple copies of it and extract the animation from each of them.

It is very easy to get your mind all twisted around by thinking of the implications of these two rules.  Permissions confuse even well-seasoned SL residents and -- at times -- Lindens themselves.  The best way to be sure that you have set perms properly is to gave your object to one of your alts -- one who does not have permission to edit your things -- and see what she can do with them.

Incidentally, as if all of this weren't confusing enough -- it is safest to set permissions individually rather than setting them all at once by clicking the Set Permissions button in Contents.  Under some circumstances, that button does not set all perms properly.  That can be frustrating, embarrassing, or costly.  I try to remember to at least double check individual perms manually before I give one of my creations away, just in case.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2528 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.