From 40 - 60 FPS to 10 - 20 FPS

Violette Petrovic

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2535 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

So I logged into SL yesterday after being off of it for about a month. I noticed that my client is extremely laggy! Just having on my last outfit is making me lag. Taking it off fixes that but only slightly. I haven't done or changed anything in the last month! I did some testing and found out that my graphics settings only effect fps by 1-5 frames. I can go from low to ultra without a change in the now normal 10-20 frames. Any suggestions on what it might be? I'm on Firestorm 5.0.1 and have reinstalled it and cleared all caches. CPU is being utilized normally and so is my GPU.

I should also note that when I now go to any place that isn't an empty sim I get major FPS drops. Average 15 when it use to be at least double that in a 50% crowded sim or just an empty one with lots of objects. I know this because I went around and did some benchmarks after getting my 1070 and i7.

My specs: 
Windows 10
gtx 1070
i7 6700k

Edited by Violette Petrovic

5 answers to this question

19 minutes ago, Violette Petrovic said:

So I logged into SL yesterday after being off of it for about a month. I noticed that my client is extremely laggy! Just having on my last outfit is making me lag. Taking it off fixes that but only slightly. I haven't done or changed anything in the last month! I did some testing and found out that my graphics settings only effect fps by 1-5 frames. I can go from low to ultra without a change in the now normal 10-20 frames. Any suggestions on what it might be? I'm on Firestorm 5.0.1 and have reinstalled it and cleared all caches. CPU is being utilized normally and so is my GPU.

I should also note that when I now go to any place that isn't an empty sim I get major FPS drops. Average 15 when it use to be at least double that in a 50% crowded sim or just an empty one with lots of objects. I know this because I went around and did some benchmarks after getting my 1070 and i7.

My specs: 
Windows 10
gtx 1070
i7 6700k

Well typically people would tell you to look at  (insert specs here).

But as I type this I am on my building pad at 3115 meters with very little on (blogging a skimpy outfit and I can only see a small part of me anyway) and my framerat which is typically over 100fps is at 16.3.

So from my point of view it is likely NOT you.   I am on mainland. Not sure if that matters.  Going to check.   57.4 over at SL14B (not open to the public yet).

Before spending a ton more angst, I suggest waiting to see what the new week will bring. Back at my building pad. Back at 17 :D

Edited by Chic Aeon

I went to a sim called "Here" which is pretty much a blank sim with a different terrain texture. FPS is averaging at 20. I just reset the settings in my NVIDIA control panel and also did some tweaks in there to up the FPS a little with no change. 

Edited by Violette Petrovic

1 hour ago, Lindal Kidd said:

Maybe that worldwide ransomware attack that's got everybody in a sweat, or actions to counter it, are affecting your internet speed.

Should be fairly easy to find out if that is correct. Open the simplified "traffic light" perfomance panel and see if it's the connection ro the viewer that is slow.

Some days things are just slow. So, don't start ripping things apart. Give it a couple of days before getting DRASTIC.

Tuesdays the grid gets restarted and lots of problems are cleared up by the restart.

Check your Viewer Stats Ctrl-Shift-1 - You can see your viewer FPS and the Server FPS and most other factors that affect performance.

If FPS it the primary problem look at the Fast Timers console, Ctrl-Shift-9 or Developer->Consoles->Fast Timers. This one you sort of have to know to see the problem. But, you are looking for large blocks of color, things that use up lots of time. It can give you a clue to what is up.

You can also look at the Texture Console (Ctrl-Shift-3) to see if decompressing textures is killing your FPS. Unlikely, but some jewelry uses a load of textures and while the scene appears to have rendered, the viewer is working to unpack those huge textures that color 3 or 3 pixels on the screen, unnoticeable.

You can also check your Avatar Impostors in Preferences->Graphics. Reduce the number to get by. Using an impostor in place of a full avatar switches to rendering avatars as 2D images and reduces viewer render load. Or turn of Shadows to get by.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2535 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.