TMP (male) body "broken" by server update

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2240 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Since the last reboot people with TMP bodies have been noticing a very weird fault.

At ground level everything is fine, but go up to 1024M or higher and there is a gap on the bacl of the neck between the neck and system head, and a thinner one about 2" under the first.

This happens to everyone with a TMP that I have spoken to, and it happens on the LL viewer, FS, and Singu. Linux and Windows are affected, not sure about OS X.

TMP Helpdesk have blamed the lab.

Edited by Callum Meriman

Are you sure it's new?
Rigged mesh, even the default avatar body actually, will start to deform more & more the higher altitude the avatar is.
It is most noticeable with the onion skinned mesh bodies where the layers will start to poke through one another at altitude or the bodies chopped up into small pieces (to apply alpha chunks) will not be fitted together as they should be up at altitude.
Bento heads are the worst - those will often severely melt up at altitude.
The higher your avatar is, the worse the floating point precision gets.

Pretty sure it's new. Neither myself nor anyone has noticed it before and being the back of the neck it's right in our view most of the time.

A lot of places are over 1024 meters as well, as you can see it's really noticable as seen in this picture, people would have noticed it.

It's new behaviour, which the TMP helpdesk also confirms, saying the lab broke it.

tmpbreak_001.thumb.png.0f27389a10813b58d0a31bd4f6536e08.png

This only affects the TMP. Doesnt affect the Slink, Adam nor Aesthetic *at this point*. Also doesn't affect the Kuroo and SMB.

Granted there is a positioning error, bt until the last roll this did not affect the neck of the TMP. The lab have likely amplified the error with something they did. TMP is a quite popular body, that the lab break it to this point is quite sad. They should be doing the most to stop existing content break so obviously.

Edited by Callum Meriman

45 minutes ago, Callum Meriman said:

Granted there is a positioning error, bt until the last roll this did not affect the neck of the TMP. The lab have likely amplified the error with something they did. TMP is a quite popular body, that the lab break it to this point is quite sad. They should be doing the most to stop existing content break so obviously.

you can blame the Lab a lot... but not that TMP doesn't update it's sh*t.

They haven't changed the beta since the day it was released.

If you think it's a new problem, you should file a JIRA issue with steps to reproduce.
Also which server version the problem started on if you know - did you notice it break on main channel regions after the Tuesday roll or on the RC regions on Wednesday?

I know it looks somewhat like the old 2014 Jira. Which is why the lab will ignore it. But this is a mesh to system body seam, not mesh to mesh.

As cruddy as the TMP is they have put a lot of them into the community since late 2015, in those 2 years everyone's necks and the body met without seam in any skybox/Club over 1024M.

Last week, they all broke.

I grabbed the free TPM male body & I can reproduce it.
I need to wait 24hrs till my inventory has synced to Aditi so I can test on older server versions there though.

The higher in altitude your avatar goes, the worse the problem is.
I see the joins in the mesh body have gaps too, not just the gap between the mesh neck and system head.

d240c29d5e2745a393df5af8078a3002.png

This looks like https://jira.secondlife.com/browse/BUG-9284  but I'll see if it reproduces on old server versions on Aditi once my inventory has synced over.

Ok I actually had the male TMP body already so I had it on Aditi.
I'm seeing the same problem on the Aditi region Blizzard which is still running an ancient server version: Snowstorm1 17.02.02.323335.  Going by the number I'm guessing this server version is from February 2017 & the region was last restarted 54 days ago.

9ec586174aec420ba4b909333ff08961.png

So, I dunno - this doesn't seem to be a new problem but if you're convinced it is, you should file a JIRA issue.

• Like 2

On 5/15/2017 at 5:15 AM, Callum Meriman said:

It's new behaviour, which the TMP helpdesk also confirms, saying the lab broke it.

1 hour ago, Whirly Fizzle said:

So, I dunno - this doesn't seem to be a new problem but if you're convinced it is, you should file a JIRA issue.

I think it's up to TMP to file a jira and get the Lab to fix it, if they're claiming the Lab broke it.

Bluntly, I've had such miserable experiences with that product that I'd naturally start from the base assumption that any problem is due to their abundant ineptitude, but either way, it's their product with the problem, and so it's their problem to get it fixed. And if they can't, well, hopefully the buyers of that product will somehow spread the word that it's not fit to purpose, in the hope that future shoppers can be cautioned not to join their many disappointed customers.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Qie Niangao said:

I think it's up to TMP to file a jira and get the Lab to fix it, if they're claiming the Lab broke it.

Bluntly, I've had such miserable experiences with that product that I'd naturally start from the base assumption that any problem is due to their abundant ineptitude, but either way, it's their product with the problem, and so it's their problem to get it fixed. And if they can't, well, hopefully the buyers of that product will somehow spread the word that it's not fit to purpose, in the hope that future shoppers can be cautioned not to join their many disappointed customers.

Yep, it's an opinion I share.

Maybe the new Belleza male body that came out earlier this week can knock it out of SL. All that needs is a critical mass of clothing I think.

55 minutes ago, Callum Meriman said:

Maybe the new Belleza male body that came out earlier this week can knock it out of SL. All that needs is a critical mass of clothing I think.

Thanks for mentioning this. I knew it was in the works but not that it was out. 

The Shops is all but dead these days and with good reason. No updates, a general lack of support from top creators and years later the product is still being labeled "Beta" ... Once they pull the plug on the outside servers... -sigh-

If I knew then what I know now I'd never gotten anything from them. So as they say "hindsight is 20/20". The HUD is a mess. Its slow to respond in comparison and its still buggy. Qie, I totally agree with you and I think the word is already spreading.

• 9 months later...
On 16/05/2017 at 11:53 AM, Whirly Fizzle said:

I grabbed the free TPM male body & I can reproduce it.
I need to wait 24hrs till my inventory has synced to Aditi so I can test on older server versions there though.

The higher in altitude your avatar goes, the worse the problem is.
I see the joins in the mesh body have gaps too, not just the gap between the mesh neck and system head.

d240c29d5e2745a393df5af8078a3002.png

This looks like https://jira.secondlife.com/browse/BUG-9284  but I'll see if it reproduces on old server versions on Aditi once my inventory has synced over.

Whirly, if you get a moment, can you disable alpha rendering and check this again. Just want to test a theory.

6 hours ago, Beq Janus said:

Whirly, if you get a moment, can you disable alpha rendering and check this again. Just want to test a theory.

Seam gaps & holes still show when alpha rendering is disabled.
Disabling automatic alpha masks also has no effect.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Help me understand, I read that thread previously, and the “fix” only seems applicable if you create/rig your own skin. Correct?

Yes correct.
This is something that the creators of the TMP body will need to change & issue an update.
Unfortunately I don't think that mesh body is being developed any more though.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

It is probably a known bug that has been around since the NDA days during Bento development.

To see if it is fly up to 3000 or 4000 meters.  Then open your preferences and click Graphics and then under Avatar Rendering: if Hardware Skinning is turned on turn it off.
If Hardware Skinning is turned off then turn it on.  I can't remember which it is but on or off one of the settings should fix the problem.

Hope that helps. :)
Cathy

On 3/4/2018 at 8:55 AM, Whirly Fizzle said:

Yes correct.
This is something that the creators of the TMP body will need to change & issue an update.
Unfortunately I don't think that mesh body is being developed any more though.

Just a couple of "aside" comment. TMP is currently having a huge sale which many of us believe is getting out their dinero before exiting the building. No way to know until it happens but with all of the reports here on these forums about NO support from TMP it seems unlikely there will be a fix.   

AND--- I noted today that it has been WELL over a month since my Maitreya body and Letluka head have "broken up" into pieces after telerporting. This is either a change in the server code or in the new Firestorm. I know not which but I am very happy to see that the issue has disappeared -- for now at least.

I am almost ALWAYS at high altitudes and have never had the issues that you describe so it must not be a universal problem. Just saying. 

5 hours ago, Chic Aeon said:

AND--- I noted today that it has been WELL over a month since my Maitreya body and Letluka head have "broken up" into pieces after telerporting. This is either a change in the server code or in the new Firestorm. I know not which but I am very happy to see that the issue has disappeared -- for now at least.

Is that problem with the Lelutka head understood? And by "broken up" do you mean that the mesh surface appears all distorted in your viewer, fixable (only?) by removing and reattaching it? I've been having that problem although I didn't associate it with teleporting before before you mentioned it. Or maybe what I'm seeing is a whole different thing from what you mean.

I really like the Lelutka head, though, so I'd love to learn a fix -- or even an explanation -- for this weird glitch. (That's in stark contrast to TMP, which will grace the grid by its extinction, the sooner the better.)

9 minutes ago, Qie Niangao said:

Is that problem with the Lelutka head understood? And by "broken up" do you mean that the mesh surface appears all distorted in your viewer, fixable (only?) by removing and reattaching it? I've been having that problem although I didn't associate it with teleporting before before you mentioned it. Or maybe what I'm seeing is a whole different thing from what you mean.

I really like the Lelutka head, though, so I'd love to learn a fix -- or even an explanation -- for this weird glitch. (That's in stark contrast to TMP, which will grace the grid by its extinction, the sooner the better.)

Yes, that's it. Several posts on the forums with photos. Happily mine doesn't break up any longer (knocking on virtual wood).  It is a bit like cracks with pieces of the head missing. I likely deleted my screenshot but let me look.  Ah, still had it.  My body would do that too, and here a top (likely fairly high poly but I didn't check). 

But I have been "break up" free for quite some time now. If you are using the Linden Viewer and not Firestorm, then it may be a Firestorm fix.  

5aa1102b0d5b4_breakingup.thumb.JPG.84e24fe729f6df57c43e355297d4b702.JPG

• Thanks 1

Thanks! I'll try switching to Firestorm for a while -- I've been in Catznip almost exclusively since the Quick Preferences folder was introduced. When that feature makes it to Firestorm, I may switch for real. 

But I wonder: are folks with, like, Catwa having similar problems? My Catwa-wearing alt hasn't seen it, but that doesn't mean anything, it's so intermittent for me with Lelutka.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2240 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.