Today's Irritation - Home Builders w/out Demos or Inworld Location

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2503 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

11 minutes ago, Chase01 said:

I am not sure what the logic is on the part of these home sellers. Is it that they believe it will protect their work, pure laziness or a combination of the two? I'm inclined to believe that a lack of a demo does result in a loss of sales (to which extent we will never know). Does it do more harm then good to not offer it? I think it does ...

They are not serious business people. My guess is they do not expect to sell much if anything. As Chic says, they may not be in SL anymore.

I get that some of them are not in SL anymore and my post wasn't addressing that group (I should have probably made that more clear). I am talking about those vendors that are clearly still active and yet aren't offering a demo for their product. So I'd agree with you on that point.

15 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

I've contemplating asking a few why they don't have demos.  There are some that actually have quite a few houses, but no demo and no inworld location.

It is because in order to have an inworld house demo you have to have land, and you have to sell enough to at least cover the tier on that land. And to do that you have to have attractive quality to price ratio. 

I suppose some do have demos available like with clothing objects, not involving land, but not many I guess. 

5 minutes ago, Pamela Galli said:

It is because in order to have an inworld house demo you have to have land, and you have to sell enough to at least cover the tier on that land. And to do that you have to have attractive quality to price ratio. 

I suppose some do have demos available like with clothing objects, not involving land, but not many I guess. 

Yeah, I was meaning the demo that you buy and rez to see how it fits on your land.  There are a few without inworld stores that have demos you can try, but not many.  Though I have also found a few with inworld stores, but no house rezzing ability and no demo offered.

8 minutes ago, clivesteel said:

You demanded Mesh.

You got Mesh.

Now live with it. It's what you wanted.

What does that have to do with the topic of this thread, which is that the OP wants builders to offer demos of their homes? Builders were offering demos way back in the days of Ye Olde Prims, too, y'know. I still get messages from people asking me if I could rez positively ancient (8+ years old) prim-only builds of mine that are now being sold for pennies in my Bargain Basement section.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, clivesteel said:

You demanded Mesh.

You got Mesh.

Now live with it. It's what you wanted.

I never demanded mesh.  I haven't even changed to a mesh body yet.  Hell, I'm just now getting around to getting mesh feet.

Mesh has nothing to do with a demo anyway - or having an inworld store.

Edited by LittleMe Jewell
  • Like 3

On 5/17/2017 at 11:09 AM, Madelaine McMasters said:

I could see making one specific spot on the floor of a skybox phantom, but I guess that's just me.

That could be fun! You could have a large net underneath, or a box that is textured all in black on the inside, or maybe an avatar sized box containing your famous cleansing flames! The possibilities are endless!!! 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

I never demanded mesh.  I haven't even changed to a mesh body yet.  Hell, I'm just now getting around to getting mesh feet.

Mesh has nothing to do with a demo anyway - or having an inworld store.

Hey ,Can you maybe demand some cheetos next?

I could really live with some cheetos right about now..:D

hehehehe

• Like 4

If it is made of prims then even if there isn't an inworld demo the marketplace images and reviews can be enough to warrant buying something.

I just bought a home advertised as 24x25m and 70 Land impact. After a bit of modification it fits my parcel (16m wide), and with the convex hull trick is now 30 land impact, it has docking for a boat (I have a cute little tugboat for it) and looks, imho stunning. 88 Linden dollars well spent.

For mesh an inworld demo is maybe needed, but for something you can modify and the cost is not high, I wouldn't be put off by not being able to see inworld.

home1_001.png

home1_002.png

Edited by DaisyCalderwood

For structures, I've seen timed demos, or some that had their textures modified where the walls and floors had demo written on them but not too obtrusively. Both of those are practical IMO. It satisfied my ability to walk into the structure, see the general texture quality and make some determinations of how modifiable it might be after purchase. There is also the other alternative of a rez station to raise a single structure on a plot of land. While that may not work for everyone (business dependent), the reduced LI that mesh structures offer reduces the requirements needed to make that practical.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DaisyCalderwood said:

If it is made of prims then even if there isn't an inworld demo the marketplace images and reviews can be enough to warrant buying something.

I just bought a home advertised as 24x25m and 70 Land impact. After a bit of modification it fits my parcel (16m wide), and with the convex hull trick is now 30 land impact, it has docking for a boat (I have a cute little tugboat for it) and looks, imho stunning. 88 Linden dollars well spent.

For mesh an inworld demo is maybe needed, but for something you can modify and the cost is not high, I wouldn't be put off by not being able to see inworld.

This assumes that the builder actually gave plenty of decent images.  It would also require me to be capable of whatever mods I wanted to make.  I'm quite limited in my ability there -- i.e I have absolutely no clue what "the convex hull trick" even means.  I can retexture and sometimes move / remove / add walls.  Resizing an entire house - I'm not sure about that.  Additionally, part of what I always want to do is walk through the bedrooms.  Some are too tiny, yet structured in a way that is not really condusive to enlarging.

I have purchased a couple of really cheap ones to try, but after more than a few of those buys, if they don't work, the cheap amounts start adding up.

44 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

This assumes that the builder actually gave plenty of decent images.  It would also require me to be capable of whatever mods I wanted to make.  I'm quite limited in my ability there -- i.e I have absolutely no clue what "the convex hull trick" even means.  I can retexture and sometimes move / remove / add walls.  Resizing an entire house - I'm not sure about that.  Additionally, part of what I always want to do is walk through the bedrooms.  Some are too tiny, yet structured in a way that is not really condusive to enlarging.

I have purchased a couple of really cheap ones to try, but after more than a few of those buys, if they don't work, the cheap amounts start adding up.

The pictures for the home told me enough, but there weren't that many clear pictures. It was hard to tell from their advert photos how good the textures were, but retexturing prims is much easier than mesh, What was important to me was the shape of the building, and how I could see how it would fit on the parcel. The size of the rooms themselves aren't so important to me, and the limitation if you are modifying a building is really more the parcel than the building itself.. Also what goes on in my bedroom is probably left private so I bought a 5 land impact mesh skybox for 15 Linden dollars which works perfectly for me. Again with that I never bothered to look to demo it. I could see enough from the two pictures in the advert that it should suit my needs. With the addition of some prim walls it has a bedroom, bathroom & kitchen\diner lounge with one of those windows with a view just behind it.

I didn't know the convex hull trick would work so well on the beach house, I wasn't banking on that when I bought it, infact I am surprised the builder hadn't already used it. Basically by setting the physics shapes of linked prims to convex hull it forces them to be counted as if they were mesh so for simple prims it halves the land impact. Any sculpties are best removed from the linkset and added to their own so they don't get counted as mesh.

For small parcels in awkward shapes like you get on mainland modifying a building is really the best way to go about it. I spent quite some time looking on Marketplace trying to avoid getting my hands dirty doing a rebuild... but there really wasn't any other option, and I am so pleased I did.

Edited by DaisyCalderwood

9 minutes ago, DaisyCalderwood said:

I didn't know the convex hull trick would work so well on the beach house, I wasn't banking on that when I bought it, infact I am surprised the builder hadn't already used it. Basically by setting the physics shapes of linked prims to convex hull it forces them to be counted as if they were mesh so for simple prims it halves the land impact. Any sculpties are best removed from the linkset and added to their own so they don't get counted as mesh.

Ahh, I remember hearing about forcing things to 'land impact'.  So what is the object properties going to say for Sculptie vs Regular prim?  If the house is "partial mesh" will it be obvious in edit mode which parts are mesh?  Can the mesh parts be linked to prim parts? I've had houses where almost everything is linked together and others that have many linksets. 

Edited by LittleMe Jewell

2 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

Ahh, I remember hearing about forcing things to 'land impact'.  So what is the object properties going to say for Sculptie vs Regular prim?  If the house is "partial mesh" will it be obvious in edit mode which parts are mesh?  Can the mesh parts be linked to prim parts?  If so, that might rule out anything that is partial mesh from me easily modifying it.

To tell if something is sculpty or not, edit it and look in the object tab (if it is part of a linkset, tick edit linked first), it will show as sculpty (where a regular prim would show box, or sphere or similar) and will have a sculpt texture displayed. Mesh can be linked to either prims or sculpties. If you are using convex hull trick you may as well add them in with the linkset that has the prims in.

• Like 1

On 5/14/2017 at 9:09 PM, Pamela Galli said:

If a demo is not provided, there is a reason. 

No demo, no purchase.

That goes for pretty much everything, not just houses.

That said I do have at least two skyboxes I bought 'on a leap of faith' that had no demo or inworld example but which were very nicely done. I even used one of them as a home for a while. The other one, bought just a few days ago - is perfect for a slightly different mood than I currently desire in my living spot, but I am likely to use it for a 'quiet space'.

This one:

https://marketplace.secondlife.com/p/Linked-Walls-Cornelius-Apartment-Skybox/8945823

Sat in my favorites list for maybe 2 years... so not having a demo did hurt them, but I got it recently and I actually liked is.

Last night I bought this sight unseen:
https://marketplace.secondlife.com/p/PI-Cannabis-Indica-Set/10056918

And it's not replacing a lot of things in my garden...

So I will take the gamble sometimes. But not often...

Most of the time I would agree with you - and at more than an 'impulse buy' price, I will almost certainly need that demo.

• Like 1

On 5/20/2017 at 0:05 PM, Pamela Galli said:

Of course. Someone in this thread bought a house with no demo for about 36 cents -- that's a gamble but not a very big one. 

There's an exception to every rule. But my general rule is the same as yours. And as you note - 36 cents. At that point the exception is easier. But that seller still had to wait more than a year or two for me to jump... If they'd had a demo, I'd have bought that thing a LONG time ago, and then probably kept buying stuff from them.

Instead my 'shopper loyalty' went elsewhere, and they got exactly one sale out of me, years after the fact...

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2503 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.