Today's Irritation - Home Builders w/out Demos or Inworld Location

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2503 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Demos that self delete after a set period of time. I'm going to have a bunch of animations I might want to test against a demo. What if I get a phone call? What if the door bell rings? What if my toast is done toasting and I want to put peanut butter and honey on it while it's still hot? What if I just want to take my time looking in the mirror?

• Like 3

For me, the biggest pet peeve when it comes to clothing demos is the ones that have no texturing. They're either all-white, or the 'texture' is all-white with DEMODEMODEMO all over it. I want to see what the damn texturing looks like, as well as the fit!

Second-biggest demo pet peeve? The ones which - when wearing the bag/object/whatever to unpack it - then put me into a ridiculous animation or rez things around me. I don't mind the various holding poses (some are pretty hilarious; NotSoBad's pile of bags and boxes that your avatar is struggling to hold is actually hilarious) but the ones I reserve my especial ire for are the ones that rez things around you. A silly moustache in front of your face is one thing, but a hair demo bag I once wore to unpack attached an entire 'hair salon' scene around my avatar: long bib across my torso and a hairdryer hood covering my head, a mirror in front of me, and a chair to sit in. Very clever, yes, but I never shopped there again. I also now teleport home to open every purchase. Even demos.

In short: let me see your texturing, and don't make me look like a complete prat in front of other people. Some people might think those animations and scenes are brilliantly funny, but me... I'm a humourless sod ;) 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, HarrisonMcKenzie said:

Or have extremely hard to see images and then charge for the demo. I'm not exciting about having to pay for a demo just to see what a hairstyle even is, let alone if it fits and looks good.

I agree, I hate having to pay even L$1 for a demo. It's the principle.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

I don't see too many mesh hairs without a demo, or skins even, but I do still see clothing here and there without demos

I have been shopping for jewelry for a while and demos are very few and hard to find.  There is one store I almost trust and that is because I have several samples they have given out as gifts and prizes.  All in all I am lacking in accessories.:(

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, Ivanova Shostakovich said:

Demos that self delete after a set period of time. I'm going to have a bunch of animations I might want to test against a demo. What if I get a phone call? What if the door bell rings? What if my toast is done toasting and I want to put peanut butter and honey on it while it's still hot? What if I just want to take my time looking in the mirror?

Back to the toast ( I'm hungry ) what if you (me) wants to put braunschweiger and maybe some cheese on it??? 

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Skell Dagger said:

A silly moustache in front of your face is one thing, but a hair demo bag I once wore to unpack attached an entire 'hair salon' scene around my avatar: long bib across my torso and a hairdryer hood covering my head, a mirror in front of me, and a chair to sit in.

This was a hair demo I got way long ago - moustache and some wacko attached to my hand.

temp2.thumb.jpg.44468fbc7590e2f12e6df7f17ac7cd50.jpg

• Like 5

8 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

This was a hair demo I got way long ago - moustache and some wacko attached to my hand.

OMG!! In 10 years of shopping, I have never seen anything like this!! A couple of my best friends from "back in the day" and me used to go to find hair stores with particularly obnoxious "above the head thingies" for their demos, and we'd wear them out dancing all night (good times) lol!  

Edited by Aislin Ceawlin

3 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

Exactly! Let's make our customers look a bit daft doth not a good business model make.

9 minutes ago, Rhonda Huntress said:

I have been shopping for jewelry for a while and demos are very few and hard to find.  There is one store I almost trust and that is because I have several samples they have given out as gifts and prizes.  All in all I am lacking in accessories.:(

I really love what Rozoregalia have been doing with their jewellery demos. They use the Experience Tools to rez a full copy of their jewellery on your avatar. You can resize and move it and see exactly what it will look like and whether you can size it to fit perfectly. It's technically a demo - even though it's the full, actual object - because it vanishes from your avatar when you exit the region where you tried the demo. I can see how this would be harder to apply for things such as hair and clothing, because people often want to take those home and try them on with lots of different things, but it works beautifully with accessories such as jewellery, and I hope more creators start to use it.

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, Skell Dagger said:

Exactly! Let's make our customers look a bit daft doth not a good business model make.

I really love what Rozoregalia have been doing with their jewellery demos. They use the Experience Tools to rez a full copy of their jewellery on your avatar. You can resize and move it and see exactly what it will look like and whether you can size it to fit perfectly. It's technically a demo - even though it's the full, actual object - because it vanishes from your avatar when you exit the region where you tried the demo. I can see how this would be harder to apply for things such as hair and clothing, because people often want to take those home and try them on with lots of different things, but it works beautifully with accessories such as jewellery, and I hope more creators start to use it.

I'll have to go check it out! Thanks for mentioning it!

• Like 1

This is the NotSoBad packaging. I really love this. It doesn't make you look silly; it's rather a wry little look at what most of us probably would look like if SL shopping involved actually carrying bags!

13016301115_28b0411915_c.jpg

I actually have a Flickr album called Packaging: You're Doing It Right for things like this. From great animations to really gorgeous boxes and the like. I really need to start adding more to that album, because there's some great stuff out there. 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Skell Dagger said:

This is the NotSoBad packaging. I really love this. It doesn't make you look silly; it's rather a wry little look at what most of us probably would look like if SL shopping involved actually carrying bags!

13016301115_28b0411915_c.jpg

I actually have a Flickr album called Packaging: You're Doing It Right for things like this. From great animations to really gorgeous boxes and the like. I really need to start adding more to that album, because there's some great stuff out there. 

Awesome! I'll go have a look!

6 minutes ago, Aislin Ceawlin said:

I'm sorry, were we talking about something other than toast? (rumble rumble)

The toast is fine; it's your choice of toppings. Liverwurst is what you dare your friends to eat after you tap the second keg..:p

Have you tried toast with havarti cheese and cherry compote? 

• Like 1

Just now, Rhonda Huntress said:

The toast is fine; it's your choice of toppings. Liverwurst is what you dare your friends to eat after you tap the second keg..:p

Have you tried toast with havarti cheese and cherry compote? 

I've adored liverwurst since I was a kid! Sooo yummy! And yet, I hate eating liver! That sounds soooo good, I really love the pairing of cheeses with fruit. (omg, I am so hungry! )

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Aislin Ceawlin said:

I've adored liverwurst since I was a kid! Sooo yummy! And yet, I hate eating liver! That sounds soooo good, I really love the pairing of cheeses with fruit. (omg, I am so hungry! )

Whereas I love liver and hate liverwurst. My ex used to eat that crap all the time and I would just gag.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

Whereas I love liver and hate liverwurst.

Me too.  Beef liver and onions, fried chicken liver, turkey paté on Thanksgiving, all that is yummy.  It must be the processing when making braunschweiger that doesn't taste or feel right.

But this thread is about demos.

Even food gets demos -- not that I have ever seen liver on a tasting stand -- so why not houses?

Edited by Rhonda Huntress
  • Like 2

I did get a set of house demos from one place where the houses would only rez one time from the rezzer - which is a good demo idea - but the houses were also phantom.  You could see how it looked on your land, and fly or cam all you wanted, but walking up the steps was a bit difficult. I ended up just rezzing a platform inside the house so I actually stand there to get a better sense of space / dimensions.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Rhonda Huntress said:

I also wish more vendors did demos for accessories. Like you, I also tend to stick to a few brands that I am familiar with in that area because of promos or free gifts. It was a great way to introduce me to the brand and even within those stores I wish they had demos.

• Like 1

Buying a house based on photos in SL Marketplace is like buying a car based on an ad in the newspaper. As for having to message a creator to get a demo, this is like having to make an appointment to buy a lipstick. I and perhaps 90% of customers will simply walk away. Worse, it shows a lack of professionalism on the part of the creator, which can easily be misinterpreted as a scam.

Edited by Deltango Vale
  • Like 4

22 hours ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

- but the houses were also phantom.

Why on Earth would they make the houses phantom? A part of demoing a house is to see that (if) the house's physics are well done. I suppose you could enable that metadata rendering, but it's no substitute for standing on the floor and making sure you're standing on the floor.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Ivanova Shostakovich said:

Why on Earth would they make the houses phantom? A part of demoing a house is to see that (if) the house's physics are well done. I suppose you could enable that metadata rendering, but it's no substitute for standing on the floor and making sure you're standing on the floor.

I could see making one specific spot on the floor of a skybox phantom, but I guess that's just me.

• Like 3

I am not sure what the logic is on the part of these home sellers. Is it that they believe it will protect their work, pure laziness or a combination of the two? I'm inclined to believe that a lack of a demo does result in a loss of sales (to which extent we will never know). Does it do more harm then good to not offer it? I think it does ...

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2503 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.